What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just FYI...charing the iPad via USB

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone figured out the day of release that the iPad was not charging on many USB ports...unless you had a new MacBook or Mac.

I am here to tell you that it DOES charge, even if barely so, and even if it says it's not.

Last night I went to bed and left my iPad hooked up to my computer. It said not charged. It was at 37%. This morning, about 5.5 hours later, it was at 86%. So obviously it is just a tiny trickle charge, but it does, in fact, charge even when it says it is not.

I figured this out by accident the first couple days I had the iPad but since I'm just now starting out on this forum I thought I would mention it just in case it hasn't been mentioned before.

EDIT: DAMMIT I missed the G in charging in the title, can a mod please fix that? Obviously we don't want to char the iPad.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Yes, it will trickle charge.... Even if it says "not charging". It says that because the USB port is not giving it the full 10 watts it needs for normal charge.....

And yes, been discussed before, but no harm bringing it up again for new users.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've got an Asus motherboard, you can look at this:

ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

It also seems to work on non-Asus motherboards. I installed it and restarted, showed that it was then charging.

I doubt it's as fast as the wall charger, but it's far better than the trickle charge.

Here's another link with a few other drivers for different motherboards:

Mobo Driver Updates Allow iPad Charging

And it works like a champ.

Most reactions