What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just copied a DVD and the file size is...

Sharkbait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1.2gb (for about a 1.30min dvd). I used handbrake with the iPad preset and switched off the 'large file' option.
Does this sound about right? I'd like smaller file sizes if they still looked OK.

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would just using Handbrake work for ripping a dvd? I am trying to get this right myself.

I was thinking to do DVD Decrypter first and then use Handbrake after that to set it to iPad.

OP
S

Sharkbait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the conversion on a XP box.
I used DVD43 to decrypt the DVD on the fly while Handbrake did the conversion. DVD43 simply needs installing and then it runs automatically when needed in the background.
I also have VLC installed - I'm not sure if that's needed.

Thanks for the file size info. I'll stick with those settings then

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't put movies on my iPad because I have an Airvideo server set up, but in all the fiddling to get the best size and codec for streaming that from a PC and also being decent quality played locally on that PC over a 46" TV, I ended up with WMV at 1500kbps. The result is about what you have - 1-1.5GB for an average feature film.

sadib888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backup my dvd movies with dvd fab by using the clone mode.

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reason why i asked my question was a member by the name of wot_fan said that the method of DVD Decrypter plus Handbrake was the method that really worked for him. I ripped a movie with the DVD Decrypter program last night, and the file size was 7.48 GB. But I haven't tried encoding it yet wit Handbrake to see if that would work, and also bring down the file size using the iPad preset.

Most reactions