What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just A Big iPhone....

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hear a lot of ppl that say the iPad is just a big iPhone or iPod, but what if it is, so what...??

Let's say it is just a big iPod or iPhone, the fact of the matter is that ur getting a much bigger screen, that alone is worth buying, cuz God knows that we can't surf the net on the screen of a iPhone for long periods of time with out eye strain becoming a problem.

But realistically speaking, the iPad is much more than just a iPhone, tho they could have improved on it, it's still a great tool for surfing the net and downloading apps..

So I don't see what all the fuss is about when ppl dismiss it for an big iphone, I paid extra to get a bigger screen and much more!

MrYummy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big iPod/iPad? Yup, that's pretty much it. And that's pretty much what I needed when I bought my iPad.

I have a desktop with a large lcd and a good graphics card and photoshops and games like a champ. I don't think it would be good for surfing the net at Starbuck's though.

Why some people think any one computer could fill every possible computing need is beyond me. No one expects their mini cooper to haul lumber.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hear a lot of ppl that say the iPad is just a big iPhone or iPod, but what if it is, so what...??

Let's say it is just a big iPod or iPhone, the fact of the matter is that ur getting a much bigger screen, that alone is worth buying, cuz God knows that we can't surf the net on the screen of a iPhone for long periods of time with out eye strain becoming a problem.

But realistically speaking, the iPad is much more than just a iPhone, tho they could have improved on it, it's still a great tool for surfing the net and downloading apps..

So I don't see what all the fuss is about when ppl dismiss it for an big iphone, I paid extra to get a bigger screen and much more!

You certainly did a 180 on your iPad opinion since the day you joined this forum. You came in hating the pad, now it sounds like your in love with your pad... Im curious, why did you change your views? What is the iPad doing to you to make you like it soooo much? I remember i was on the love or hate fence for the first few days when i got mine. After a few days using the pad, i seldom use my desktop or laptop. I didn't expect the pad would take over as my web browsing, forum updates, buying and email choirs. I'm even getting close to paying my bills with my pad... It wont be long when i start questing why i have a laptop... :confused:

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why some people think any one computer could fill every possible computing need is beyond me. No one expects their mini cooper to haul lumber.

Exactly! I think Jobs had it right when he described the iPad as an intermediate device between a mobile phone and a laptop. I can bring my iPad places where a laptop (even a 13" one) would be cumbersome. As a frequent business traveller, it enables me to have my own private device for web surfing/tweeting/etc. separate from my company-issued laptop, but its small enough & light enough that I can still travel with a briefcase & a carry-on roller bag. In the evenings and while traveling, it lets me check my fave RSS feeds, tweet, surf the web, keep up with Facebook—none of which I want to use my company computer for, and all of which are much more enjoyable on the iPad's larger display than on my iPhone.

That's, in large part, why I love my iPad.

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, I'm always asked "as you've got a MacBook and iPhone, what do you use you iPad for?"
I've got it down to a stock reply now that answers everyones question and generally stops any "ah, but what about..."

My reply is: "I don't know what ONE thing I use it for is, but I do know that what I do use it for, I love using it for"

I never really got the app thing on my iPhone, maybe it's the small screen or the fact that I'm still rocking a first gen but with a larger version (iPad) and I now get it

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When people ask me why do you have an iPad you already have a iPhone and a laptop, I always answer I have the laptop and iPhone because the iPad wasn't invented when I got them. I'd certainly thing twice about replacing my laptop and if I need such a high spec'd phone when they come to the end of their lifespan.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree he sure did do a 180 he is not the first one either.

In regard to iPhone / iPad. Before I received my iPad I used my 3GS iPhone when mobile to do every thing inc playing games and using apps the negative without question was screen size and using to update quotes etc for my Apple clients which is a second job for me now. The problem when I came home was that I have a MacBook that is used by 5 adults. The other pc notebook died. So it was all most impossible to say the least frustrating doing anything when half the time the MacBook was being used by others in the house.
The iPad resolved every thing in one hit. I take both iPhone and iPad to work. In the car the iPhone provides me with my music using a parrot integrated hands free system and when at work the iPad offers the bigger screen and every thing I need to do quotes during lunch break and read books plus play games , and of course surf the net and email.
As another user said I too find I do not use many apps any more on the iPhone just news gps, and essential apps that I need on a day to day basis it has all the music I need and photos etc but that's about it.
The iPad has less less music installed several movies and a variety of apps. I now read comics even though I am almost 66 lol I enjoy arcade games, reading books and for business I have down loaded all my service PDF manuals I need for apple support. Also installed is a quoting app that makes life easy for me. I love the newspapers and rss feeds so in all I am using the iPad far more than I ever used any computer. I only use the MacBook to update and sync. Any thing downloaded to the iPad, iPhone and also the apple tv (movies) is synced back to the MacBook then manual synced to either the iPhone or the iPad. In house we have 2 other iPhones as well as 2 ipod touch which use separate user accounts on the Macbook. I find when I use the the Macbook it is so heavy and battery life only a few small hours whereas I get 8 hours out of the iPad without any problem. The iPad lives in every room of the house where as the MacBook is plugged into to be recharged due to usage all the time. So yes it may use the same operating system it looks like a bigger iPhone but frankly that's where it ends. The iPad fills the void as a full on mobile communication device and I love it. Other than syncing and backing up I have no need to use the MacBook.

Last edited:
OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"You certainly did a 180 on your iPad opinion since the day you joined"

I guess the more I use it the more I do fall in love with it, it could be more, but one thing I keep reminding myself is you can't get everything for 600 bucks, so I learned to accept and make compromise..

I live in a pretty big house, and I find myself carrying it around from one room to the other, the convenience is awesome!

Now I guess my only gripe is java, but not so much cuz I can't view the websites, but cuz I can't play yahoo chess which requires java..

But I got some good chess apps, yet I'm still not able to find one where I can play speed chess online. But yahoo is going to be releasing an app pretty soon, hopefully be able to play games.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!

I just found an app, Bereg chess, it was 3 bucks,

But I can play speed chess online!!

Speed chess with an iPad is awesome, way better than mouse!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have similar problem with quick office that I purchased I needed a good quoting app for quoting apple hardware support etc and it fits nicely however it lacks in some areas but a new version is coming to provide most of what I need. So given time your chess games will come on board.

Last edited:

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thing is just too cool. I just downloaded the original doom game I first played in the early 90's. I bought this for my wife but I will have to get my own eventually!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The damned thing is just so addictive.
My quad core ran 24/7 but now days go by and it's not turned on.

This really is a revolution........and it can only get better.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one expects their mini cooper to haul lumber.
This guy needs to join this forum!

Lumber-Car-A.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts