What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joos Orange solar power

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks powerful enough. The solar cell itself puts out 6A at 3V, but apparently there is an internal battery pack that gets charged. The connector to the iPad apparently delivers only 1A at 5V though, and for maximum charge rate the iPad (if my memory isn't faulty here) requires 2.5A for maximum charge rate.

So---bottom line---I don't think I would expect brilliant performance. You also have to factor in the fact that the aforementioned solar cell stats are probably for ideal sunlight conditions. Need I say more?

But it is a good idea though the price tag is a bit hefty.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...So---bottom line---I don't think I would expect brilliant performance. You also have to factor in the fact that the aforementioned solar cell stats are probably for ideal sunlight conditions. Need I say more?

But it is a good idea though the price tag is a bit hefty.

On the other hand, if you're truly isolated from a power source for an extended period, the price is what it is. When camping with my cell phone I simply carry a couple of extra batteries, cheap at less than $10 apiece. But with an iPad you don't have that option.

MoonX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks powerful enough. The solar cell itself puts out 6A at 3V, but apparently there is an internal battery pack that gets charged. The connector to the iPad apparently delivers only 1A at 5V though, and for maximum charge rate the iPad (if my memory isn't faulty here) requires 2.5A for maximum charge rate.

Where are you getting your info from? I checked out the specs before I bought one of these things and it is 2.5 watts+ from the solar cell at 5 volts. The power coming out of the charger is 5 volts @ 1 amp which is twice the amperage that comes out of a standard USB port. I bought it specifically to charge my iPad which is does a great job with. Only takes just over an hour to completely charge the iPad from 0% to about 80%. They have some pretty advanced circuitry in this thing that really makes good use of Apple's crappy charging circuitry. Good stuff!

Most reactions