What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JB Upgrade Utility

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope my questions are OK and someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I have an iPad 1 (64gb) that i JBed a long time ago (it is on 3.2.2)

I understand I can now upgrade to 4.1.3 and do an untethered JB with Redns0w (I used Limera1n on the 1st JB)

My question is: I have a lot of things setup with things like: mAdvLock, SBSettings, Categories etc... Is there a 3rd party app that would allow me to save my JB setup before I upgrade, ready to restore after I JB the latest firmware?

I hope this is within the rules. :eek:

iNb

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
+1 for pkgbackup. Very useful and works a treat

and absolutely within the rules!

The only word of caution is if you are going from 3.2.2 you may have things working now which are not compatible with 4.3.1, or have alternative solutions.
Categories may be an example, where you might prefer the functionality of either built in folders in IOS, OR a solution such as folder enhancer (my favourite).
However, don't worry. When you try and restore incompatible packages using pkgbackup it will just pass them by. You can see anything which cannot be restored in a log when it finishes.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on!

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks to you both, just what I was looking for and I will now be able to do this hopefully before 4.3.2 is out! :)

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for another noob question, but could someone enlighten me as how to setup pkgbackup so the backup goes to my Dropbox account? :confused:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iNb said:
Sorry for another noob question, but could someone enlighten me as how to setup pkgbackup so the backup goes to my Dropbox account? :confused:

No problem. Hit the cog (top left) which takes you into settings. Press Dropbox on primary storage line, log in, and voila!

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, does folder enhancer allow custom icons for custom icons?

TIA

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iNb said:
Also, does folder enhancer allow custom icons for custom icons?

TIA

No, that's one thing it does not do which categories has it beat on!

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iNb said:

No problem. Hit the cog (top left) which takes you into settings. Press Dropbox on primary storage line, log in, and voila!

Thanks f4780y, the problem is I cannot see a cog on the top left :confused:

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add, this is the offical version that I have purchassed through Cydia.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iNb said:
Just to add, this is the offical version that I have purchassed through Cydia.

Check the apps website. They have good supporting documentation & FAQs.

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I took a backup with Pkgbackup yesterday and proceeded to upgrade to 4.3.1 this morning, then I jailbreaked with Redsn0w ... so far so good.

Then I installed Pkgbackup and restored, since then the iPad crashes every time I open any app :( It then goes to 'it safe mode'.

I thought I would restore from my last backup on iTunes before jailbreaking and then do a fresh JB but, after restoring, the iPad, it is still the same (ie still JBed and crashing)

Helpppppppp ?? I am worried about a full restore because I don't want to loose all my stuff, documents etc on the iPad.

What can I do to resolve this issue please? :eek:

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add, I thought this would be the case:
+1 for pkgbackup. Very useful and works a treat

and absolutely within the rules!

The only word of caution is if you are going from 3.2.2 you may have things working now which are not compatible with 4.3.1, or have alternative solutions.
Categories may be an example, where you might prefer the functionality of either built in folders in IOS, OR a solution such as folder enhancer (my favourite).
However, don't worry. When you try and restore incompatible packages using pkgbackup it will just pass them by. You can see anything which cannot be restored in a log when it finishes.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on!

This is from Pkgbackup FAQ, very helpful!! :(

Q. My device auto reboot/respring after it was restored via Pkgbackup. Any idea or advice how to stop that and get the phone working again??

R. You have restored one or more packages (apps) that is not compatible with the firmware installed on your device. It’s YOUR responsibility to assure you restore compatible packages. The solution depends on what is installed on your device. Best advice: Google it!

I am googling but am yet to find a way to revert Pkgbackup's restore :(:(

Last edited:

Most reactions