What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have never jail broken any of my devices- but lately I've been contemplating it. I must admit I'm not even sure what it is, if I should do it or how to go about doing it. Can someone please explain it to me so I can under stand it? Thanks ahead of time!!

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would recommend heading over to the hacking section to get an idea about more of the features of jailbreaking but the basic gist of it is that it frees up the operating system from the restraints that apple puts on its devices. When you JB you have access to a feature called Cydia, which is another app store among other things. There you can download other 3rd party apps that are not available in apples app store. For example I JB my phone for the purpose of being able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot without paying the extra carrier fee. You can use Cydia to download widgets, themes and other tweaks that will change the way your phone looks and operates. I have a tweak that allows me to put extra apps into folders above what the stock IOS allows. Could go on and on but that is the basic idea of it.

shahzad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would recommend heading over to the hacking section to get an idea about more of the features of jailbreaking but the basic gist of it is that it frees up the operating system from the restraints that apple puts on its devices. When you JB you have access to a feature called Cydia, which is another app store among other things. There you can download other 3rd party apps that are not available in apples app store. For example I JB my phone for the purpose of being able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot without paying the extra carrier fee. You can use Cydia to download widgets, themes and other tweaks that will change the way your phone looks and operates. I have a tweak that allows me to put extra apps into folders above what the stock IOS allows. Could go on and on but that is the basic idea of it.

My Next Device: iphone 5s or iPhone 6

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:

Great explanation! Will I still able to use the app store as normal? And all of the other apple features? Can I jailbreak via Internet or do I have to go somewhere?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great explanation! Will I still able to use the app store as normal? And all of the other apple features? Can I jailbreak via Internet or do I have to go somewhere?

Once you Jailbreak everything on your phone will work just as it did before including the app store. The cydia app just contains a lot of apps that for what ever reason apple did not allow into their app store and like I said before tweaks that will actually change certain functions of the phone itself which is something apple will not allow. When I JB my iPhone I used the website GreenPois0n. What iPad are you looking to JB and what IOS are you currently running? If you have the new iPad you will have to wait like the rest of us, also if you have an iPad 2 with IOS 5.1 or the newest 5.1.1 you will have to wait as well. If you are running 5.0.1 you are good to go with the JB. If you are looking to do it and do not want to do it yourself many people and places will do it for you usually for about $20. Just check craigslist (lots of people advertise that on there). Personally, part of the fun is doing it yourself and most programs are pretty easy to use.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
Once you Jailbreak everything on your phone will work just as it did before including the app store. The cydia app just contains a lot of apps that for what ever reason apple did not allow into their app store and like I said before tweaks that will actually change certain functions of the phone itself which is something apple will not allow. When I JB my iPhone I used the website GreenPois0n. What iPad are you looking to JB and what IOS are you currently running? If you have the new iPad you will have to wait like the rest of us, also if you have an iPad 2 with IOS 5.1 or the newest 5.1.1 you will have to wait as well. If you are running 5.0.1 you are good to go with the JB. If you are looking to do it and do not want to do it yourself many people and places will do it for you usually for about $20. Just check craigslist (lots of people advertise that on there). Personally, part of the fun is doing it yourself and most programs are pretty easy to use.

I have a new iPad and an iPhone 4s. Is there a good web site I can go to that I can jailbreak? And how do you tether once you jailbreak? I pay twenty bucks a month with Verizon!! I've heard that once I jailbreak my phone will crash a lot and run slower, hope this isn't true!!

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
applechick said:
I have a new iPad and an iPhone 4s. Is there a good web site I can go to that I can jailbreak? And how do you tether once you jailbreak? I pay twenty bucks a month with Verizon!! I've heard that once I jailbreak my phone will crash a lot and run slower, hope this isn't true!!

I also have 2 iPad 2'sand an iPad one and 2 iPad touches in our house. Maybe I can test it out on one of them.....

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have 2 iPad 2'sand an iPad one and 2 iPad touches in our house. Maybe I can test it out on one of them.....

I've never had an issue with my phone crashing or running slower. There is no JB for the new iPad yet and if you are on 5.1 or above on your 4s there won't be one either so I would check your other iPad's and even your iPod's. Again if they are IOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 it will not work. For tethering or WiFi hotspot feature I should say I use an app called PdaNet. It is free for unsecured browsing but if you want to use secure websites (banks, facebook, etc) it is a one time fee of about $10. There are others out there but I had used PdaNet when I had my Androids so I just stuck with it. Works great and you can't beat the one time fee as opposed to monthly charges by the cell companies. If your other iDevices can be jailbroken just google Redsnow jailbreak or GreenPois0n (the last o is greenpoison is a zero). I used GreenPois0n and it worked great. They both will have step by step instructions and get you the same result. Good luck

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
I've never had an issue with my phone crashing or running slower. There is no JB for the new iPad yet and if you are on 5.1 or above on your 4s there won't be one either so I would check your other iPad's and even your iPod's. Again if they are IOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 it will not work. For tethering or WiFi hotspot feature I should say I use an app called PdaNet. It is free for unsecured browsing but if you want to use secure websites (banks, facebook, etc) it is a one time fee of about $10. There are others out there but I had used PdaNet when I had my Androids so I just stuck with it. Works great and you can't beat the one time fee as opposed to monthly charges by the cell companies. If your other iDevices can be jailbroken just google Redsnow jailbreak or GreenPois0n (the last o is greenpoison is a zero). I used GreenPois0n and it worked great. They both will have step by step instructions and get you the same result. Good luck

Thank you do much I appreciate all your advice :)

iGeturit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jail break is awesome. Only on 5.1.1

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts