What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak ~ explain it to me... Like I'm a four year old.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What it says in the title. Should everyone Jailbreak their iPad? Does it hurt the iPad, is it vulnerable to software issues? What is it? Is it a programme, or a generic term for adding other sorts of programmes/apps?

And finally, does a mum like me, who uses it for writing, web browsing, music etc., need it? I do want to upload a film to the iPad and can't, and yes, I've read all the threads and downloaded handbrake. Thank you!! Xxx

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved your thread to our Hacking section. There are a lot of Stickies you should read.

Start here ~

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

+1 on SweetPoison comments

However read this and the stickies as well...

Technical Definition of Jailbreak:
The iPhone, iPod touch & iPad hack that allow users to gain access to the entire Unix filesystem. In Unix terms, this refers to changing the root of the directory tree to /.

Understandable Definition of Jailbreak:
A hack that gains access to areas of the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad that users aren’t supposed to mess with. Typically, this is an immediate prelude to either installing cool programs, unlocking the handset for use with another cellular network, or both.

Through jailbreaking, you are able to add additional applications to your iDevice. It allows you to do so by adding an application called Cydia to your iDevice. It also allows modding (changing) of your iDevice application icons, wallpaper, dock, status bar, chat bubbles, weather backgrounds, keyboard….etc.

Last edited:
OP
Milliebert

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry for posting in wrong part of the forums but I thought it was an iPad 2 question and didn't realise jailbreaking had it's own bit.

x

Most reactions

Latest posts