What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak before backup?....

phillie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here who needs a bit of advice!
Just bought an iPad 2, 4.3.3 while traveling overseas for a few months which means I haven't and won't do a backup until I get back home. The apple store activated my iPad.
I really want to jailbreak using comex but am unsure if I jb my ipad without ever pairing, syncing, backing up to my home Mac, will I have any problems connecting and restoring my iPad when I get home?
Is there another solution to allow me to sync while travelling that I'm missing?
Hope someone can help!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether you are jail broken or not will have absolutely no effect on the first time you sync with your computer when you get home from your trip. You will still need to take care and use the correct procedure (make sure you transfer purchases so as no to delete anything) before you sync for the first time.
Your jailbreak status is a red herring. If you want to do it, go ahead.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here who needs a bit of advice!
Just bought an iPad 2, 4.3.3 while traveling overseas for a few months which means I haven't and won't do a backup until I get back home. The apple store activated my iPad.
I really want to jailbreak using comex but am unsure if I jb my ipad without ever pairing, syncing, backing up to my home Mac, will I have any problems connecting and restoring my iPad when I get home?
Is there another solution to allow me to sync while travelling that I'm missing?
Hope someone can help!

you should only sync to one iTunes, your Mac.

when you get home, authorize your Mac first.

whatever you do, do not RESTORE your iPad, the only restore you should do is restore from a backup(but you don't need to do this anytime soon).

restoring usually updates your 4.3.3 to whatever is available now, iPad 2 is only 4.3.3 jailbreakable.

just don't press the update button/tab, that says newer version available.
sync is fine, sync usually do backups, but you must transfer purchases before continuing to sync.

OP
P

phillie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@poser, thanks for your help! Fingers crossed my jb is successful!

Most reactions

Latest posts