What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iwork pages

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have the latest update to PrintCentral? If you keep an eye on developments in the App Store you'll know that PrintCentral has been missing for a few weeks, only to 're-appear' yesterday. Sounds good??!!!

But the update has removed the 'in app' printing capability that the original version had for 'compatibility reasons'. Several people complained and developer responded that the change had been 'forced on them by Apple'.

So several people - me included - are not updating our copies of PrintCentral in order to retain that in-app printing capability. If you already updated, there's no way back, I'm afraid and you now have to switch out of, say, Pages and print your document from within PrintCentral.

I'm not entirely sure why Apple have insisted on this change; it was, after all, one of the most appealing features of PrintCentral - that it 'appeared' like an AirPrint printer. Now that's gone, I'm not exactly sure what I would do if I needed to install an app to enable printing to non-AirPrint printers.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd been wondering how PrintCentral managed the in app printing. After all, background printing is not one of the supported background tasks, and inserting the app into the AirPrint feature smacks of undocumented APIs.

Both proven methods to get Apple to reject an app. And they are not shy about rejecting apps no matter how long they manage to sneak by the app police.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah - thanks, twerppoet, I'd been wondering what would cause Apple to reject this truly useful feature of PrintCentral. Yes, undocumented API!! You got it in one!

Well, this will be one app that will stay for ever un-updated on my iPad - undocumented API or not!! And to think I nearly hit the 'update' button on that app in App Store until I read what changes the update would bring...

Close shave....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In case the OP did accidentally update PrintCentral there is a possible fix, though I've only heard and not verified this.

While iTunes does automatically copy your new apps to iTunes when syncing, it does not necessarily copy the updates in followup syncs. So, as long as you have not forced an app to update in iTunes itself it is possible that the older version is still sitting in iTunes.

So, if you accidentally update an app it is worth your time to go into iTunes and check to see if the older version is still there. Go to the App list, right click, get info, and check the version against the newest one in the App Store. If it is you should be able to delete the app off of the iPad and then re-sync the older version back onto it.

Most reactions