What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes syncing issues 4.2 GM

macguyincali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a weird problem happening right now. Didn't see anyone else having it, so I'm posting.

First off:

a) successfully upgraded my iPad 3G 64 to the 4.2GM
b) not a developer.
c) not jailbroken.
d) Just a risk-taker, so I took a chance.

When I plug my iPad into iTunes, it starts going through the syncing process. It appears to be backing up properly, until it stalls.

Then, the iPad itself starts restarting spontaneously, with the white apple appearing and a little gear rotating over the White apple (like its getting ready to start up and/or shut down). Eventually, after repeated restarts, it gets stuck on the apple logo.

It basically stays that way. iTunes, meanwhile, insists its still backing up, but doesn't go anywhere.

So the iPad works wonderfully, otherwise, but won't sync with iTunes.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder why is that happening. Very strange indeed. Did you try backing up(i know itunes failing but still),uninstalling the iTunes and reinstalling it again? Seems like a faulty cable to me but I am not so sure. Try reinstalling the iTunes and then if it continues then try a different cable.

Let's wait for experts,they might have a good reason as to why this is happening.

Thanks

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which iTunes version do you use?
4.2 only works with the latest beta (Beta2) of iTunes.

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which iTunes version do you use?
4.2 only works with the latest beta (Beta2) of iTunes.

Is there a way to get a Windows version of Beta 2 since they yanked it from the developer site? I didn't realise till I'd installed the GM Seed of 4.2 to my ipad... so now need to get hold of a Windows version of iTunes 10.1 Beta 2.

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no idea.
Being a developer, I use a Mac anyway, so I didn't even notice there was no Windows-version.

OP
M

macguyincali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still happening

So, I installed the 4.2 GM #2 that was released with the hopes this would solve the problem, but it did not.

The iPad works fine, but it crashes during the backup portion of the sync process. It will stay on the white apple logo, with the little spinning gear superimposed (but it stops spinning) and then after a few minutes, restart to the white apple again.

So basically, my iPad won't back up. Bummer because my last backup is from the 5th of November, it seems. When I loaded the new beta 4.2 I had to re-download a few apps and reset my contacts from MobileME (long story). Not a huge deal, but annoying if I have to do it another time.

Well I've learned my lesson: don't mess with beta releases.

Seems like no one else is having this problem, which is odd. Usually other people report similar problems.

OP
M

macguyincali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyone else having this

My iPad still will not sync. To reiterate: It crashes several times during the sync process (during the backup), resets to the white logo several times and then eventually crashes iTunes. The iPad itself goes back to its usual non-syncing status. iTunes has to be Force-quitted. What I've done so far:

a) updated iPad to 4.2 GM 2 (not the 4.2.1 yet)
b) reinstalled iTunes 10.1
c) other iOs devices sync fine with iTunes 10.1

What I'm going to try:

a) syncing from another Mac.
b) installing the 4.2.1 update, then syncing from primary, then secondary mac
c) restoring to non-beta firmware if the above doesn't work. Not sure if this is a bad idea, though.
d) should I just wait until the final release? I haven't seen reports of this exact problem so I can't imagine its being "fixed"

Thoughts people?

howardweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are not alone.

I had a very similar issue syncing by 3G/32gb iPad this morning. In my case it said the sync was over but when I opened iPod there was no music visible. I plugged in again and resynced music and it appeared.

I am now having a problem with my wife's Wifi/32gb, including the flashing on-and-off behavior you described.

Trying music-only sync again on this machine .... it *looks* like it's working.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too successfully updated today (second go round) and have just realized that I have no songs or videos! Cannot presently sync as I am updating my iPod touch but hoping all will go well when I attach iPad again.

dek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
getting same issue here, had some problems with exceptionally slow/failing backup recently but it resolved itself. Updated to iOS 4.2 last night and iPad restarting during sync/backup

Luke Bizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only 2 issues that I can find so far with the update.
1) did not sync a movie on my MBP iTunes back to my iTunes on my iPad. I did the sync twice to no avail. The option in iTunes for "downloads", where it normally sat, takes me to an Apple Terms and Conditions page on their website, where there's no "agree", "disagree" option to continue. I'll play around with that one later and try to solve it. Anyone have a suggestion?

2) YouVersion app won't open. I may have to re-download that one.

Those are the only bugs right now. Still exploring all the changes from the update....

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that is worth while to sync is application. Why syncing songs books and movies. you can always drag them from any directory to the library, and from there to the iPAD.
From my personal experience, I thing there is a bug in iTune 10.1 in a Windows 7 , runing upgrade to 4.2.1 . too many complaints.

henriksh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem which should prove that it is not a windows problem as I have an iMac. It is driving me crazy - thinking it might have been a bad update to 4.2.1. I restored my iPad. Little did it help. Not only did it take 4 hours to back-up yesterday but now it keep on resetting when the back-up gets to 60-70%. So I have now skipped the back-up as my newly restored iPad does not contain anything hoping that it will get back to a working state.

Most reactions

Latest posts