What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Synch Issue with iPad Apps

TNzookeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3G/WiFi 64Gb IOS 4.2.1, iTunes 10.1.2.17, Windows XP SP3, 4GB
:confused:
I have been unable to resolve this on all the major sites including through Google searching. iTunes simply will not synch the apps I downloaded to the iPad to iTunes. Nor will apps downloaded through iTunes synch to the iPad. It worked perfectly until a month or so ago when iTunes started deleting files during synch. I understand that delete problem which I now can handle and which is an iTunes terrible programming bug (apple doesn't admit it). They just blame the user.

I have done everything from resets, re-creating the iTunes directory from scratch, and every Apple bulletin, Apple forum discussion thread, forum "try this", and other web site discussion threads, transfer purchases instead of synch, deleting and recreating the app directory, etc.

Absolutely nothing works. I note others have the same problem and their posts are not resolved either. Apple has been silent on their web site.

Can anyone point me in a direction other than deleting everything off the iPad and starting over. That isn't garanteed to work either from other posts I've read.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To transfer purchases on the iPad to iTunes, in itunes go to the "File" in tool bar, top left, and click, then click on "Transfer purchases from (your iPad name)".

Most everything on the iPad is transferred, from iTunes, to iPad. If an app, picture or song is not checked in iTunes, it will not be transferred to the iPad, and if it is already on the iPad it will be erased from the iPad. If the app, picture or song, is checked, it will be transferred to the iPad, unless it is already on the iPad, in which case nothing happens, only the checked new apps, pictures or songs will be transferred to the iPad. Checking tells iTunes that you want to keep that app, picture or song on the iPad, unchecking tells iTunes that you no longer want that app, picture or song, on the iPad.

The safest way to add or delete apps, pictures and songs, is in iTunes, and then sync. If you delete apps, pictures or songs on the iPad and not in iTunes, the next time you sync, iTunes will put them back on the iPad, because it still thinks you want to keep them on the iPad, because you didn't uncheck them in iTunes. Remember iTunes is the boss, not the iPad.

When you download a new app, picture or song, it is by default not checked, unless you have checked the "Automatically sync new apps.

Last edited:

bigmutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
confusing, Pocobear

Why does Pocobear say "here's how to transfer from iPad to iTunes ..." and then gives instructions on exactly the opposite (i.e. transfering from iTunes to iPad) ???

Does anyone have instructions on transfering purchases FROM iPAD TO iTUNES?

I have so many downloads (purchases and free apps) on my iPad and my iPhone 4 but when I connect them to my iTunes computer it says it's going to erase everything on the iPad except for what's already on iTunes.

I want exactly the opposite: to have everything that's now on my iPad/iPhone equipment to be on iTunes, and nothing else.

I'm still on OS 3 with the iPad and on OS 4.0 on the iPhone and I dare not upgrade until I get this syncing stuff resolved.

Thanks.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does Pocobear say "here's how to transfer from iPad to iTunes ..." and then gives instructions on exactly the opposite (i.e. transfering from iTunes to iPad) ???

Does anyone have instructions on transfering purchases FROM iPAD TO iTUNES?

I have so many downloads (purchases and free apps) on my iPad and my iPhone 4 but when I connect them to my iTunes computer it says it's going to erase everything on the iPad except for what's already on iTunes.

I want exactly the opposite: to have everything that's now on my iPad/iPhone equipment to be on iTunes, and nothing else.

I'm still on OS 3 with the iPad and on OS 4.0 on the iPhone and I dare not upgrade until I get this syncing stuff resolved.

Thanks.

In iTunes, on the top right in the file drop down - there is an option for "transfer purchases from iPod". That should do the trick for you. On all my devices, I have always had iTunes ask me if I wanted to transfer purchases from my iPhones, Itouches, and iPad. Never had anything deleted, except songs (although they were not purchased- just in my library).

OP
T

TNzookeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not always

The file->transfer from doesn't always work.

The bigger problem is that nothing will synch the VERSION of an app between the PC iTunes and the iPad. For instance, I just updated in iTunes 11 APPS showing updates available. The iPad showed 10 APPs needing updating. Note that I've been waiting awhile and NOT updating the 10 in iPad while waiting on iTunes to catch up with more apps needing updating. iTunes started with only 1 or 2 when the iPad had the 10 needing updating.

Angry Birds Seasons is 1.2.0 on iTunes and only 1.1.1 on the iPad after doing every possible try at synching, transferring etc.

BTW: Transfer purchases from iPad DOESN'T overwrite one already on iTunes as just evidenced above or the 1.1.1 would have overwritten the 1.2.0.

Whether using File->Synch (iPad) OR using DEVICES (right-click) SYNCH; NOTHING will make the version of an app synch one direction or the other.

When I am looking at 130 apps in iTunes in LIST view (with version column checked), how can I even manually compare to what version each one is in the iPad to try and drag it over.

When I try to drag from LIBRARY apps to DEVICES (iPad), it doesn't allow it (circle-slash).

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed - you are correct - but it will work for new purchases. Won't necessarily work for updates.

However, when I update my apps in iTunes, and then synch my iPad, iPhone, iTouch - the computer ALWAYS transfers the updated version, so I don't know why yours is not doing this, as I have never had that happen. And, sometimes I wish it wouldn't happen when the occasional update is buggy, and I would like to have just kept my old version... so, I can't help you there, as this behaviour does not occur with my set up. Although, if I update, the iDevice, it will NOT transfer the updated version to the computer, just the other way around.

As far as comparing - I have not tried it for this purpose, but there is a program called iPhone Explorer iPhone Explorer - A USB iPhone browser for Mac and PC

This might give you the information you are looking for, but I don't know that it will help you with the transfers...

isLand D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhone transfers fine - iPad says 'No'

I have a similar problem.

My iPhone transfers to iTunes just fine, although when trying to tranfer my purchases from my iPad to iTunes, it says it's syncing, runs through all the names of my apps as it should but it does this in 15 seconds flat :eek: (I've got around 40 gigs of apps!) and none of the apps apprear in iTunes.

Definately vexing me.

Sodl199

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad Apps do not transfer to Itunes

I, too, am experiencing the problem that my Ipad Apps do not transfer to Itunes. Since nobody has an answer that works and this is the most recent thread I have found, maybe those that are experiencing the problem, can list out their configuration to see if there is some commonality that might prove to be the source of the problem.

Symptom:
Apps 'appear' to be transferring, but in fact, do not. It zips through the list of Apps far too fast. Plus they do not show up in the correct applications folder, or the itunes App Tab.

My info:
Ipad 64gig +3G
Ipad SW version: 4.2.1 (8C148)
over 200 apps
Windows 7 with Itunes version 10.1.2.17
Syncing iphone to same Itunes account with no problem.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
- "simply going to File, 'Transfer Purchases from...' should do the trick"
- re-booting iPad (hard or soft)
- Reinstalling Itunes
- Authorizing and/or deauthorizing

Let's work together to solve this problem.

-Let me know if further configuration info might help

Last edited:

Bmr23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't delete from itunes

I got a couple "free" tv shows from itunes to watch on my ipad. now everytime I launch itunes, it starts "downloading" them and says it will need 23 hours to download the 21 minute tv show? I left it on overnight thinking this would resolve the issue, but it still does it everytime I start itunes.
Also, I cannot find them on my ipad, which is ok, but I want to put a movie on my ipad and can't get it to synch to do this.

mustafa.orkun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem.

My iPhone transfers to iTunes just fine, although when trying to tranfer my purchases from my iPad to iTunes, it says it's syncing, runs through all the names of my apps as it should but it does this in 15 seconds flat :eek: (I've got around 40 gigs of apps!) and none of the apps apprear in iTunes.

Definately vexing me.

Exactly the same problem. You are not alone :)

Because of that, i don't/can't update to 4.3 also. i have approximately 800 apps and have ipad 3g/64 gb. What is most annoying is that if you have some documents in that app; for example collected attachments from several emails during 4 months, or if you you are in the middle of a huge sized game and saved there , or if you have too many apps like me that may have custom setups (like entering emails and passwords or defining google docs account etc), you cannot think of redownloading them. Also even if you give 1 week to deal with from the scratch, there will be the problem to rearrange apps to the folders on homescreen (because of a restore).

If you go to Apple for some help, they will return back with a synthetic kindness. And if they understand how big the problem is, they will remain silent for a while (that is Apple's f*@!!ed up policy. They think that by this way, no mud will be related with them in the future) and after they find a solution, they will include it in an update again silently, as like no trouble ever happened to anyone.

My problem may have a solution in ios 4.3 update, but how can i update?

I love those little toys very much and want to use them everytime and want from them to replace PCs for my daily tasks. But they are not reliable enough

Last edited:

Sodl199

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After taking my ipad to a 'Genius' with no result, I had to resort to a more advanced solution that I found online.

Unfortunately, it involves jailbreaking the ipad and accessing the filesystem by SSH.

Overall it wasn't too bad an experience. Though, my attitude was that I was going to end up 'bricking' my device. Happily, I did not.

So....after doing the 'fix. It looks like it is working...

Take it with a grain of salt, but here are the info I found...

"What finally worked was ssh'ing into the iphone and deleting a file. Go to /var/mobile/Library/MobileInstallation. In that folder there should be a file called 'ArchivedApplications.plist' To be on the safe side you can rename that file to 'ArchivedApllications.plist.bak' instead of deleting it.

Now when i right click on my iphone name on itunes on the pc and i click transfer purchases they actually were transferred over."

The instructions aren't detailed, so do your research on HOW to do the following:

-Jailbreak device
-Enable SSH on your device
-Access your device by SSH via a Terminal program
-Finding the file
-Renaming the file

Again, this involved jailbreaking the device and this might be too advanced for a casual user.

I plan to un-jailbreak it as soon as all the applications move over.

Good Luck!

drnicodemus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sodl199 you are a genius. I was having the same problem as you, looked everywhere, and this was the final fix to the problem. Just wanted to say thanks.

silverfish46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much Sodl199!!!<br>
Have gotten my new macbook pro a month ago and trying to resolve this since!! <br>
You make my day!!<br>
<br>
Can I share your solutions on other website with credits to you? Thanks!

isLand D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O m g

I can't believe I have to break their software in order to copy files. There is something wrong with this picture.

I highly doubt my next tablet will be from apple. What a joke.

I will do that and let you know how I go. Xxxx edited by admin xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

fofobarca1989

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thnxxxxxxx very very much ... i've been looking for a solution since 2 days ago

u re really fascinating

Most reactions

Latest posts