What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes obsolete after 12 October?

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
On 12 October we will be able to download the new iOS5 onto our iPads. Can we then remove iTunes from our computers to recover, in my case, much needed space? Or, keep it for backup? Comments please.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
it'll be kept on my computer as my main music storage location and for music listening when im working on my desktop.

other than that, it'll be pretty redundant for me - my ipad will be wirelessly backed up to my portable flash drive once a week (which is what i use itunes for currently as i have no choice), and i purchase apps and music via my ipad anyway.

it's actually a pretty good question - what exactly or essentially will itunes be useful for from now on?

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the OP suggested, will it still be needed for backups?

Tim

From what I understand you could get rid of iTunes and use iCloud as the back up but I'm still a bit reluctant about that. What's a couple of GB of data on a 2TB drive worth these days anyway?
I'd be waiting for a while (maybe iOS 5.1 at least) until I seriously considered pushing the delete button.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the video clips I've seen show your iDevice being backed up wirelessly, at night, when you're not using it ... to iTunes.

So, for now, I see iTunes being needed as something the iDevice is being backed up to.

For now...

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will offer only so much free cloud storage (5GB, if I remember right), and I think they're only going to store content like music, books and apps, so you'd still need some place to back up everything else, even if you trust them to store music, books and apps.

I'm not the trusting sort, so I back up everything, lol.

If you go over Apple's cloud storage limit, you'll have to pay, or get free storage elsewhere.

Also, cloud storage relies on an Internet connection (whether wi-fi, my-fi, 3G, 4G, LTE, whatever). If you plan to stream or otherwise draw a lot from the cloud, you will need a data plan with a big allowance. And if your data speeds are slow, that can affect your quality of music, video, etc.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate iTunes on my slow nearly 4 year old laptop, but I understand it works a lot better on Macs. My next computer will be an iMac, but I am hoping this Toshiba laptop lasts me for at least another year (until I get a salary- I'm student teaching this fall and spring and will be licensed in June) so I can actually afford one. But I'm glad iTunes will mainly be obsolete soon. I just plugged in my iPad yesterday to grab a podcast and to transfer a couple episodes of Breaking Bad and a couple movies onto it. It froze twice and took a good half hour just to do this. Aggravating!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Windows laptop I synch to is 4 years old, too. I run XP and haven't had iTunes freezing problems since I ditched Vista on another laptop. I dread switching laptops, because it will involve switching over my iTunes stuff.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have Vista on my laptop and I am scared/petrified I'd screw something up if I tried to downgrade to Vista or put Windows 7 on it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple will offer only so much free cloud storage (5GB, if I remember right), and I think they're only going to store content like music, books and apps, so you'd still need some place to back up everything else, even if you trust them to store music, books and apps.

They are following the same scheme as Amazon for the iCloud - iTunes media content will not count towards your total,* as they're storing it anyway. In my case, take that out of my total and 5GB is plenty of room (though I'd still rely on my AirStash anyway).

cf http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i will be keeping iTunes forever, why would you wanna delete it, seems like a strange question to me.....maybe because its running good on my Mac, and i stored a lot in there, and organized a big music library, with a few playlists.....and i play music with it.

i usually update my iOS apps on my mac, create ringtones with iTunes, etc etc.

i have older devices that will continue to rely on its support.

keeper.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are following the same scheme as Amazon for the iCloud - iTunes media content will not count towards your total,* as they're storing it anyway. In my case, take that out of my total and 5GB is plenty of room (though I'd still rely on my AirStash anyway).

cf Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

Depends on each user; that's why I included "if" in my post.

I don't assume that everyone's needs will be the same as mine. I have lots of content not purchased through iTunes.

In any case, I don't trust in cloud storage alone via Apple or Amazon. I back up everything. But to each his own.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser said:
i will be keeping iTunes forever, why would you wanna delete it, seems like a strange question to me.....maybe because its running good on my Mac, and i stored a lot in there, and organized a big music library, with a few playlists.....and i play music with it.

i usually update my iOS apps on my mac, create ringtones with iTunes, etc etc.

i have older devices that will continue to rely on its support.

keeper.

Once I get an iMac, in a million years when I can afford one, all of my music is going back on it (it's on an external now since I have a small and old laptop) and iTunes will run beautifully. On said laptop though, which runs Vista unfortunately, iTunes sucks on it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts