What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes not connecting to iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

rymcneil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 air with OS version 10.0.2. I am using a USB connector to attach iPad to my PC. As soon as iTunes opens it says "iTunes cannot connect to the iPad "iPad" because an invalid response was received from the device."
The only response option is "OK"
I have hard re-booted the iPad and tried changing the USB port, but I still get the most unhelpful message. Any suggestions?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure iTunes is up to date. Also, the computer you're using should be up to date.

Unplug every other USB device and try it again.

Restart computer as well as iPad.

Use a different computer, if possible.

Did you get the "Trust this Computer" alert when you connected your iPad to the computer?

OP
R

rymcneil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure iTunes is up to date. Also, the computer you're using should be up to date.

Unplug every other USB device and try it again.

Restart computer as well as iPad.

Use a different computer, if possible.

Did you get the "Trust this Computer" alert when you connected your iPad to the computer?
Thanks for the quick response. Just tried using my wife's mini iPad with my PC and it syncd as normal, so the problem would appear to be with my iPad. Have re-booted my PC but am not getting the "trust this computer message" on my iPad.

OP
R

rymcneil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried everything you have suggested except using another PC as I don't have access to another one. When I checked for iTunes updates, I got a message that I had "version 12.1.2 which is the current version". Where did you get 12.5.1.?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should get the prompt for the update automatically, when you go to Help - Check for Updates

Maybe your computer doesn't support this version. It requires Windows 7 or later. Which Windows version is installed on your computer?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
12.1.3 appears to be the latest version for 32-bit Windows but that would be an old computer running XP or Vista. Even my Vista beast is 64-bit.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be you are using 32-bit iTunes on a 64-bit computer. It would work but wouldn't update. Have a look at the installer. It should have a number as part of the name. 32 or 64 indicates which architecture it's built for.

OP
R

rymcneil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should get the prompt for the update automatically, when you go to Help - Check for Updates

Maybe your computer doesn't support this version. It requires Windows 7 or later. Which Windows version is installed on your computer?

I have a 64-bit Windows 10 computer. When I go to the "About iTunes" file it starts with Version 12.1.2.27, 64-bit. and insists this is the current version.
If I re-installed i-Tunes, would I have to re-install all the music etc that I currently have on it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. your library is separate from the program. I'd uninstall iTunes using the uninstaller that comes with it. You should have the option to keep your library and settings as part of that process.

Then download 12.5.1 directly from Apple. When you reinstall your media should be intact.

If I remember correctly you will see some big changes from the version you are used to. Your sidebar and menu bar will be missing. Press the Tab key to bring the menu back, then go to the View menu and check the features you want to see.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. your library is separate from the program. I'd uninstall iTunes using the uninstaller that comes with it. You should have the option to keep your library and settings as part of that process.

Then download 12.5.1 directly from Apple. When you reinstall your media should be intact.

If I remember correctly you will see some big changes from the version you are used to. Your sidebar and menu bar will be missing. Press the Tab key to bring the menu back, then go to the View menu and check the features you want to see.
I have an old MacBook Pro that's capable of running the latest version of iTunes but wouldn't update through the Mac App Store despite getting the pop up saying there was an iTunes update available. I had to go to Apple.com and download it directly from the website. The only difference between this and the Windows computer is that I didn't have to uninstall anything first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions