What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes library problem

Fuzy_gsxr1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks I had a hard disk corruption or error. No it seems I have more music on my iPad then in my iTunes library on my PC. How to I get the music from my iPad back into iTunes without it want to over write or erase my music that's in my iPad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, open iTunes on your computer and go to Preferences; the Preferences window will open up. Select devices from the menu at the top and check the box next to "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically", then click on the OK box at the bottom of the Preferences window. Now connect your iPad to iTunes and you should get a pop up that says there are items on your iPad that are not in your iTunes library. There will be an option to transfer purchases, take that option and anything on your iPad that is not in your iTunes library will be downloaded to the iTunes library on your computer. This will not erase anything on your iPad.

BTW, the reason you go into Preferences to stop automatic syncing is to stop iTunes from erasing the contents on your iPad and replacing it with the contents of the iTunes library on your computer, which will happen if the syncing starts automatically when your iPad is connected to iTunes.

I

islandman

Itunes huh. Thankfully we have someone staying with us that's going to help me with an iTunes problem. I put a cd on iTunes, and instead of placing each tune in sequence, it displayed them in shuffle mode, and I'm damned if I can find the button to take it off shuffle

OP
F

Fuzy_gsxr1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, open iTunes on your computer and go to Preferences; the Preferences window will open up. Select devices from the menu at the top and check the box next to "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically", then click on the OK box at the bottom of the Preferences window. Now connect your iPad to iTunes and you should get a pop up that says there are items on your iPad that are not in your iTunes library. There will be an option to transfer purchases, take that option and anything on your iPad that is not in your iTunes library will be downloaded to the iTunes library on your computer. This will not erase anything on your iPad.

BTW, the reason you go into Preferences to stop automatic syncing is to stop iTunes from erasing the contents on your iPad and replacing it with the contents of the iTunes library on your computer, which will happen if the syncing starts automatically when your iPad is connected to iTunes.
Thanks man I really appreciate this!!.,

darshin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great answer from Scifan57. I was about to mention the same :)

Also, if it gets too complicated, you could use some utilities that are available for just a few $$, not too expensive, for example SuperSync or iTunes Fusion, i think there's a couple more too. I personally use SuperSync since a couple of years to sync music between my computers as well as computer to ipad. Thats because am lazy :) and i like to get things done in a single click :D and SuperSync does that job for me :)

But yeah, you could give a shot to Scifan57's stuff, its worth it! Hope you were able to get it working with the solution.

Most reactions