What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes. Is it really so bad?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whenever I use iTunes, I'm lucky if I can get it to start first time without locking up, often forcing a reboot and a long wait for everything to get going again.

I'm convinced that the problem lies with my computer, which runs 64-bit Vista, but I'm not prepared to shell out even more money for an upgrade to 7. I'd rather slog along with Vista, until it's time for a new desktop.

Anyway, I've heard complaints about iTunes from various directions, so I'm wondering. What is the iTunes experience of other members on the various operating systems? Does it run better on the Mac? Does it run well on 7? What are your major complaints about the program in general? Is there anybody out there who loves it, and never has an issue with it?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Sendbeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
itunes is pretty bloated on Windows. It runs ok on my machine, but it's a very high end machine. The good news is you may get to cut the cord when ios5 finally gets released.

Qdiddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 7 and it runs fine, so many programs don't run well with vista that my guess it's the problem. Try running in windows XP mode, that usually helps.

Sendbeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try to uninstall/reinstall itunes. Sometimes something gets corrupted on an install. Make sure you don't have a lot of unnecessary programs running in the background.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Qdiddy said:
I have 7 and it runs fine, so many programs don't run well with vista that my guess it's the problem. Try running in windows XP mode, that usually helps.

Never thought of that. I'll try it. Thanks.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My conception of hell. Having to use iTunes and Vista.

Lol. I'm with you on that.

iTunes is a necessary evil, IMO. It does some things fine, some horribly. I've read that even Steve Jobs has griped about how parts of it worked (or didn't work). If he has problems with it, pity newbies.

The developers of Vista should be put on some kind of tribunal involving software crimes against humanity.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sendbeer said:
itunes is pretty bloated on Windows.
Ugh, you can say that again. My laptop is a nearly four year old laptop and iTunes is just a nightmare on it. Luckily I don't have to use iTunes very much with this iPad.

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
Ugh, you can say that again. My laptop is a nearly four year old laptop and iTunes is just a nightmare on it. Luckily I don't have to use iTunes very much with this iPad.

I'm so happy not to be the only one! Yes, the "my conception of hell" hits home for me too! I have a hand-me-down 8yo Thinkpad on XP and no Windows install CD, thus a fairly craptastic OS to begin with. Before enduring the UNVELIEVABLE NIGHTMARE OF UNINSTALLING AND REINSTALLING iTunes (oh, the horror!) it pretty much had gotten to a state where it wouldn't run at all.

Even now it freezes for long stretches upon loading and I've learned not to bother trying to click in it if it's doing anything else until that operation is done. I heard that soon iTunes won't run on XP machines, but IMO that's a rather dumb move since many people are using their computers less and less and iDevices more. Though maybe with icloud and the store already on devices its main function on a Windows computer would be relegated to a memory-hogging substandard piece of bloatware. One can only hope.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I run itunes on vista and not happy with it, it takes time to start up and very frozen prone. Recently, i have not been able to down load the lastest ios for the ipad, it keeps cutting out around half way. Dont know if its a vista or itunes problem, but it is unpleasant either ways

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good karma said:
I run itunes on vista and not happy with it, it takes time to start up and very frozen prone. Recently, i have not been able to down load the lastest ios for the ipad, it keeps cutting out around half way. Dont know if its a vista or itunes problem, but it is unpleasant either ways

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

I didn't bother with the latest upgrade for the iPad with iOs 5 so close, but I downloaded it for the iPhone with no problems.

A pattern seems to be emerging, that Vista is likely a big part of the problem. I'm tempted to blow the $130 on the upgrade to 7 Ultimate. Seems a shame to throw good money after bad, though. At least when I eventually replace the PC with an iMac (hoping my wife won't notice!!!) I'll know that I'm a lot more future-proof.

My only problem then will be transferring a massive amount of data to the Mac while hoping that nothing crashes during the process. I should be so lucky!

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way you could buy or borrow an external hard drive? I'm not really a computer person (just love mobile) but that way you could get a backup, even in stages if you have to work around crashes, and then import from that to the iMac? Just a thought. I've gone to storing almost anything of importance in the cloud in one place or another because my pc is so freeze-prone, but I don't have all that much to store other than photos and writing.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an external... My laptop couldn't hold all of my stuff, so luckily when my computer craps out I won't lose anything.

Most reactions