What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official, some new iPads have problems

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If a data plan isn't unlimited than it is practically useless and dangerous to own. The vendors will find that this won't be able to be sustained for long.

App vendors or data plan vendors? The data-plan vendors could care less if you go over your plan, why would they? I've been using 3G for years on limited plans and have never been surprised by my usage or expected bill... It's completely easy to keep track of and monitor your use not to mention you get popups when you get within say 10% of your GB max etc. The fact someone burned through 5GB in a few days really is irrelevant other than the fact what one use to play only on wifi given the bandwidth can now be played via LTE/4G. It's still up to the user to be "aware" of the bandwidth use. And if you personally can't keep track then set your account to stop once you reach your limit. I'm truly not sure why this is even being played as "an issue".
I guess it's just common sense/a situational awareness item for me.

Cheers

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This entire issue of Backlight Bleeding and Dead Pixel is now stopping me from buying this device it has instilled that fear in my mind and I fear that there is no way, no guarantee that my device will not have it. Preety bad feeling if you are planning to buy something brand new with 100% of your money and still not assured of a flawless product. How does one get that confidence in that product ?

The success of the iPad and Apple is because what would be run-of-the-mill issues with any other manufacturer, is made a big deal when talking about Apple products.. All manufacturers have dead pixels. With a resolution this high, you could have one or two and not notice it. Apple's return policy for these is much more lenient than other LCD distributors. Same with the light bleeding.

I am going to add this to the original post, but I will also mention it here. One of the extended care companies that does a lot of iPad warranties says that the iPad 2 was damaged three times as often as the iPad 1 from being dropped. The new iPad is expected to have the same issue with drop damage as the iPad 2 since it is still using the same thickness gorilla glass and bezel mount. However, there is a strong possibility that Apple will start using the new, stronger gorilla glass at sometime during production. On the mechanical rate of failure side, the iPad 2 had a .3% fail rate, compared to the iPad 1 rate of .9%. The industry average failure rate for mobile devices other than Apple, is 3.5%, and for non-Apple laptops is 4.5%

Last edited:

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The success of the iPad and Apple is because what would be run-of-the-mill issues with any other manufacturer, is made a big deal when talking about Apple products.. All manufacturers have dead pixels. With a resolution this high, you could have one or two and not notice it. Apple's return policy for these is much more lenient than other LCD distributors. Same with the light bleeding.

I am going to add this to the original post, but I will also mention it here. One of the extended care companies that does a lot of iPad warranties says that the iPad 2 was damage three times as often as the iPad 1 from being broke. The new iPad is expected to have the same issue with drop damage as the iPad 2 since it is still using the same thickness gorilla glass and bezel mount. However, there is a strong possibility that Apple will start using the new, stronger gorilla glass at sometime during production. On the mechanical rate of failure side, the iPad 2 had a .3% fail rate, compared to the iPad 1 rate of .9%. The industry average failure rate for mobile devices other than Apple, is 3.5%, and for non-Apple laptops is 4.5%
For many years I have read on the camera and camcorder forums of people dropping them. I don't find this a camera or camcorder quality problem. So I feel the same with my iPhone and IPad if I drop it on a hard surface and it is damaged I am at fault. I bought a rear iPad cover and I use a Rocket Fish iPad stand to hold my iPad this is helpful in protecting it from normal harm.

ThomasZarrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For many years I have read on the camera and camcorder forums of people dropping them. I don't find this a camera or camcorder quality problem. So I feel the same with my iPhone and IPad if I drop it on a hard surface and it is damaged I am at fault. I bought a rear iPad cover and I use a Rocket Fish iPad stand to hold my iPad this is helpful in protecting it from normal harm.

I agree- I think you have to make sure you protect your iPad- I made sure I bought a decent case when I first got mine.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
This entire issue of Backlight Bleeding and Dead Pixel is now stopping me from buying this device it has instilled that fear in my mind and I fear that there is no way, no guarantee that my device will not have it. Preety bad feeling if you are planning to buy something brand new with 100% of your money and still not assured of a flawless product. How does one get that confidence in that product ?

The overwhelming majority of 3 owners are silent. You can't go by the vocal minority. Besides that Apple will take care of its customers. When it comes to technology like this the worse thing is not a defective unit, the worse thing is buggy software. A defective unit can be replaced in a week. Buggy software can take months. I'd rsther have some dead pixels than sync problems with 5.1.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a new Ipad 3 owner after almost 2 years of hard use of my Ipad 1. I appear to have no issues at all. Just took mine up to our pool which is a good distance from the house to check range for wifi (and old Linksys) and get as good wifi as I did before. I'm loving the speed and smoothness of typing, apps opening, links in Safari opening, docs and xsl opening in one of my Office apps, photoe processing in Snapseed, etc, videos playing and the wonderful resolution (I'm a photographer). The only 'issue' is the warmth in the lower right corner. I had written that mine heated up using the old Apple Ipad 1 cover (rubbery) but now using my new Targus Vuescape I don't notice it at all. Ite a very big upgrade for me and I just am enjoying it tremendously--not that I didn't my one.

For anyone worrying about issues--buy with confidence as Apple takes care of any problems but in the two years I've had an Ipad I've heard of very few problems compared to most electronic devices--and Apple will be helpful.

It does take longer to charge the battery but I'll take that any day for all the pluses.

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most issues are a matter of discovery and the need to recognize what is and isn't a problem. For those of you who have an older smartcover, there is an issue that you will want to make note of. The magnet on the iPad 2 did not care what the polarity of the smartcover was. The new iPad does. If you have one of the old smartcovers from Apple or other manufacturers, it may not work. Particularly if you buy one in a store like Verizon, AT&T, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy. If the polarity is wrong, the cover will not turn off when closed. Checking is easy. Disconnect the hinge end and place the opposite side down on the screen like you would normally. If the iPad goes to sleep, you are golden. If not, the smartcover needs to be replaced.

Here are some items that will probably get fixed real soon with a software update.
1. A security issue was found with iOS 5.1 and Apple is working on it.
2. An issue was found where the new iPad would continue to charge after reaching 100%, or would not show full charge when at 100%.
3. Safari 5 will not scale up some pictures from the old screen resolution. The pictures can be imported to Photos to show full resolution.

None of these are more than minor things that few will notice. It goes with buying anything on its initial debut.I expect that by the end of the month, all software issues will be resolved.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

You get confidence by knowing that Apple will stand by their product. If it's got bad pixels, they'll replace it. If it's got screen bleed, they'll replace it.

And, just as a reminder: It's human nature for the unhappy customer, the dissatisfied ones, to talk about all the issues they have with a product. After the first reviews, it's VERY rare for people to talk about how they have no issues AT ALL. that's because, IMO, it's boring to only hear "my new iPad works just fine," or saying so sounds as if owners are putting down or trivializing the problems of the people who do mention they have problems.

It's the nature of the beast - bad news gets the attention, good news doesn't. In news speak: "If it bleeds, it leads."

Only you can make the decision to get an iPad after reading about issues others have had with it. I can tell you, as an anecdote of one - my iPad has no back light bleeding (or it's so negligible that I don't see it), doesn't "overheat," my Smart Cover works fine with it and I have no issues with any dead pixels.

Good luck with your decision ...

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:

Mine is perfect.

L

Lunar

You must remember that Apple have sold well over 3 million iPad 3 units in just a few days, one is sure to get a few that slip though, the chance of you getting a faulty one is actually very small indeed.
Also remember Apple give every customer the option to return their purchase within the first 2 weeks for a no quibble full refund or to change for another new one if the customer so wishes. The numbers of owners who appear on forums like this are miniscule in comparision to millions of satisfied customers.

As to getting one thats 100% perfect, I buy a brand new car every 3 years, and I've yet to receive a 100% perfect one yet, and I'm talking about expensive cars like BMW which my last 3 have been, but their service has been excellent and any issue's were quickly rectified. I class BMW the same as APPLE... not cheap but their customer care is first class, AIS you have 2 weeks.. if your not 100% happy have your money back.. how much fairer than that can they get. ;-) I wish everythng I bought came with that option.

Last edited by a moderator:

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can tell you, as an anecdote of one - my iPad has no back light bleeding (or it's so negligible that I don't see it)

Marilyn

See…There you go ! I still have to compromise for a negligible amount of defect…My opposition is this, to this entire philosophy on compromising things !! When I am not paying anything less to Apple why should I settle down for something less from Apple ? Minor / Major whatever !! I expect 100% Flawless, defect free product I don’t care if it is a minor bleeding and so I should let it go ! How can Apple expect such a thing from a customer ?

I know we can go on this topic on and on…Unless I decide if I want to buy it with the given conditions or If I don’t wanna buy it. Apple is not gonna care a heck if just one customer like me is not satisfied but I thought I will just share a thought.

Cheers !

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad2quoi said:
Do you mean that people do not get an idea of what to expect when they acquire a very new iPad?

I will get straight to the point of your question. Regardless of what phone or tablet and not to mention any computer you purchase any product can have issues. The fact that the reports show some problems does not mean all the new iPads I have no problem with battery life as I never run it full on nor do I have issues with back light issues and wifi is as good as if not better than the iPad 2. My suggestion is just make the decision and purchase the iPad. Hope that helps

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
See…There you go ! I still have to compromise for a negligible amount of defect…My opposition is this, to this entire philosophy on compromising things !! When I am not paying anything less to Apple why should I settle down for something less from Apple ? Minor / Major whatever !! I expect 100% Flawless, defect free product I don’t care if it is a minor bleeding and so I should let it go ! How can Apple expect such a thing from a customer ?

I know we can go on this topic on and on…Unless I decide if I want to buy it with the given conditions or If I don’t wanna buy it. Apple is not gonna care a heck if just one customer like me is not satisfied but I thought I will just share a thought.

Cheers !

Just want to clear up one point. When I said "my iPad has no back light bleeding (or it's so negligible that I don't see it)," I mean that I. Don't. See. It. By negligible I mean that if it is bleeding, it is so inconsequential that I don't notice it. So, to me, this iPad I currently have IS flawless. I am not compromising because there is nothing wrong with my iPad that I can see.

Please don't take my turn of phrase and make it more than it is. Thanks.

Semantics ... it matters.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:

Cheers !

You wrote this "I still have to compromise for a negligible amount of defect.". Perhaps English is not your first language. Negligible means it is so small or slight as to be zero. Please don't let perfect be the enemy of the good. For your information, nothing in this world is perfect.....people are speaking in very precise terms here and you are reading way too much into their words. Apple as the best customer satisfaction in the business and your words above seem to ignore this fact.

Last edited:
L

Lunar

Cheers !

Do you actually own a iPad3, as it seems to me there are quite a few adverse comments from people who don't even own the iPad 3, in some cases one may suspect they are trying to justify to themselves reasons for not buying it or qualify why they are not buying it.

The amount of issue's out of the 3.5million already sold have been miniscule, it's already sold more in timescale than any other previous iPad, therefore it looks like it's going to be extremely successful. Those few people who were unfortunate to grab a faulty unit can instantly swap it for another brand new unit or get a refund.
How many other companies offer 2 weeks for you to check out your new device with a no quibble refund or replace option. Sure there will be a few bad batches, that is to be expected. My wife uses a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and she had 3 before she got one that was 100% okay, it happens with any new product.

We have a few dozen people on here repeatedly posting about their issues in threads, but in reality, when compared to 3.5 million.. it really isn't very many is it..?

Personally, unless you have money to throw away, and your happy with your iPad1 or Ipad2, I would advise you likely keep to your current one. In my case I needed a second iPad, as the wife now has my Ipad 1 64/3g, I certainly don't think I'd upgrade if I owned an iPad 2 just for the sake of owning the latest one.. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts