What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Official! iPad Available in US on April 3

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
apple-ipad-cnn-news.jpg

The release date has been officially been made by Apple this morning! The Apple iPad will be available in the US on April 3rd. Apple will also begin taking preorders March 12th! Read the full press release below:

CUPERTINO, California—March 5, 2010—Apple® today announced that its magical and revolutionary iPad will be available in the US on Saturday, April 3, for Wi-Fi models and in late April for Wi-Fi + 3G models. In addition, all models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April.

Beginning a week from today, on March 12, US customers can pre-order both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models from Apple’s online store (Apple) or reserve a Wi-Fi model to pick up on Saturday, April 3, at an Apple retail store.

“iPad is something completely new,†said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’re excited for customers to get their hands on this magical and revolutionary product and connect with their apps and content in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before.â€

Starting at just $499, iPad lets users browse the web, read and send email, enjoy and share photos, watch videos, listen to music, play games, read ebooks and much more. iPad is just 0.5 inches thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds—thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook—and delivers battery life of up to 10 hours.*

iPad’s revolutionary Multi-Touch™ interface makes surfing the web an entirely new experience, dramatically more interactive and intimate than on a computer. You can read and send email on iPad’s large screen and almost full-size “soft†keyboard or import photos from a Mac®, PC or digital camera, see them organized as albums, and enjoy and share them using iPad’s elegant slideshows. iPad makes it easy to watch movies, TV shows and YouTube, all in HD, or flip through the pages of an ebook you downloaded from Apple’s new iBookstore while listening to your music collection.

The App Store on iPad lets you wirelessly browse, buy and download new apps from the world's largest app store. iPad includes 12 new innovative apps designed especially for iPad and will run almost all of the more than 150,000 apps on the App Store, including apps already purchased for your iPhone® or iPod touch®. Developers are already creating exciting new apps designed for iPad that take advantage of its Multi-Touch interface, large screen and high-quality graphics.

The new iBooks app for iPad includes Apple’s new iBookstore, the best way to browse, buy and read books on a mobile product. The iBookstore will feature books from the New York Times Best Seller list from both major and independent publishers, including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group and Simon & Schuster.

The iTunes® Store gives iPad users access to the world’s most popular online music, TV and movie store with a catalog of over 12 million songs, over 55,000 TV episodes and over 8,500 films including over 2,500 in stunning high definition. All the apps and content you download on iPad from the App Store, iTunes Store and iBookstore will be automatically synced to your iTunes library the next time you connect with your computer.

Pricing & Availability
iPad will be available in Wi-Fi models on April 3 in the US for a suggested retail price of $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB, $699 for 64GB. The Wi-Fi + 3G models will be available in late April for a suggested retail price of $629 for 16GB, $729 for 32GB and $829 for 64GB. iPad will be sold in the US through the Apple Store® (Apple), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

iPad will be available in both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models in late April in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. International pricing will be announced in April. iPad will ship in additional countries later this year.

The iBooks app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store in the US on April 3, with additional countries added later this year.

*Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Though I'm not entirely shocked that the actual release is a couple of weeks behind the rumored date, I am kind of surprised that they chose a Saturday as opposed to a Friday. That's somewhat unusual for Apple.

I am pleased that you'll apparently be able to reserve a unit for pickup at your local Apple Store during the pre-order phase. I think I'll be doing exactly that!

rag1247

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in the past, I believe with iphone, a "reservation" did not guarantee that one would be waiting at the store for you

Richard
ft lauderdale

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when will the display models be out in the floor? I'm one of those still unlikely to buy first gen but I'd like to see what the differance between it
and iPod are first hand. Although I guess they likely won't let me try iTeleport VNC in store though... :-( .

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is great news to hear, a bit of a delay based on our rough estimated date but not bad at all.

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What will Saturday mean for online delivery

I have to buy online because no store in area so I was wondering weather the Saturday opening date will slow down delivery for me.:confused:

LarryT63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now comes my internal debate... which one to buy?

$499 because it will fit the majority of my needs, and as this is the first iteration of the device, I will have to buy a 2nd gen iPad next year so I can get the built in webcam sure to be in that one.

$829 the ultimate iPad, with no regrets I'd know I'd have all that it can be at this point at least, and if the iPhone OS 4.0 brings multitasking (more than one program open at once) I might need the best one out. Also, who knows what type of programs that might be coming out and how fast I'll fill up 64 gigs?

I really believe that in the future the 3g might be a wanted/necessity item, because of what Apple has up it's sleeve with the $1 billion data center they just built (say hello to the cloud and updates to MobileMe)

Why will the iPad ultimately work? Because it can be whatever the programmers dream up and release software for it to be!

ptmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you sync the IPad?

Can you sync it with the same ITunes that yo sync your IPhone with or are they making a seperate IPad sync?

I couldn't find how to post so I attached to this post. How do you post?:D

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it syncs to iTunes. In fact, El Stevo said outright that you can use all of the iPhone apps you've already paid for on both your iPhone and iPad.

LarryT63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, same sync, and the apps, music and movies you have on your iPhone will automatically transfer to your iPad, unless you choose not to do that...

Can you sync it with the same ITunes that yo sync your IPhone with or are they making a seperate IPad sync?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the Winner is

Yep, same sync, and the apps, music and movies you have on your iPhone will automatically transfer to your iPad, unless you choose not to do that...

Apple bet on that point for make a big success .... and they are right just imagine a new device with OS you have to rebuy all app's you have that will not interest many people

By the way i believe Steve Balmer, Jef Bezos and Eric Schmidt doesn't have a good sleep last nigh :) :D :ipad-keyboard:

BusterBear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you "reserve" on online for the store and it does not guarantee you get one then whats the point? Am I missing something? :ipad-front:

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you "reserve" on online for the store and it does not guarantee you get one then whats the point? Am I missing something? :ipad-front:

We don't know how the reservation system will work yet. I'm thinking that's the route I'm going to take. It's better than taking my chances, though I really don't think they'll sell out. I'd like to be a little more sure that the model I want will be waiting for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts