What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It Just Arrived!!

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes indeed, my IPad 32GB (WiFi only) was just delivered to me - not more than 15 minutes ago. But for those whole fifteen minutes I have been trying to get it to display more than it does (I hope there's nothing wrong with it).

What shows on the screen when I turn it on is a small battery symbol, in the upper right-hand corner, which reveals about an 85% charge on the battery - and a USB cable running halfway up the middle of the screen, with an arrow pointing to the word 'iTunes'. Just above the wording is a music symbol inside of a blue circle. And that is ALL I get.

There was no manual that came with it; just a card, and a very thin pamphlet - both both written in a foreign language. Did anyone else's come like this? I mean, is this the norm? If so, what must I do to get it to show like I am used to seeing it in the stores?

I wonder if I have to (first) download and install iTunes, by which to get my new little friend jump started.

Please advise.

(By the way, I am on a Vista64 PC).

Last edited:

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes indeed, my IPad 32GB (WiFi only) was just delivered to me - not more than 15 minutes ago. But for those whole fifteen minutes I have been trying to get it to display more than it does (I hope there's nothing wrong with it).

What shows on the screen when I turn it on is a small battery symbol, in the upper right-hand corner, which reveals about an 85% charge on the battery - and a USB cable running halfway up the middle of the screen, with an arrow pointing to the word 'iTunes'. Just above the wording is a music symbol inside of a blue circle. And that is ALL I get.

There was no manual that came with it; just a card, and a very thin pamphlet - both both written in a foreign language. Did anyone else's come like this? I mean, is this the norm? If so, what must I do to get it to show like I am used to seeing it in the stores?

I wonder if I have to (first) download and install iTunes, by which to get my new little friend jump started.

Please advise.

(By the way, I am on a Vista64 PC).

Yea download iTunes....link should be on that card

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Download and install iTunes. Plug iPad into pc with provided USB cable. Profit!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I appreciate such a quick response from you all. Yes, I thought that downloading/installing iTunes was where those screen items might have been directing me, so I had went ahead with it. Sure enough, that was the key. WHEW......at least I know that my little electronic sidekick wasn't exhibiting any unfavorable issues.

Man, I love this thing already - and can see where I will - as SOON as I can afford to - spring for another one (my wife has already kinda hinted for one :)).

Thank you all.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

The iPad User Manual is available for free in many languages on the Apple website.

What language do you want?

Apple - Support - Country Selector

Thanks for the link. I just visited there, but will (first) have to find which OS is on this unit that I have - as there were manuals for different OS versions.

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Apple can't afford a two cent instruction page with a $600 device? Or are written instructions just too unhip for Apple?

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Apple can't afford a two cent instruction page with a $600 device? Or are written instructions just too unhip for Apple?

Exactly. I found it a wee bit unsettling that there was absolutely NOTHING in the line of instructions. But I guess I can forgive them, because of the device being such a nifty thing to have.

One other thing you might be able to zero in on for me: I just tried setting up the IPad's PDF manual on the IPad, but (for some reason) it does not show. Do I need a specific program by which to enable the device to see such files, and to allow me to be able to read same?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
Exactly. I found it a wee bit unsettling that there was absolutely NOTHING in the line of instructions. But I guess I can forgive them, because of the device being such a nifty thing to have.

One other thing you might be able to zero in on for me: I just tried setting up the IPad's PDF manual on the IPad, but (for some reason) it does not show. Do I need a specific program by which to enable the device to see such files, and to allow me to be able to read same?

You need either Ibooks (free but you do need to install from the app store) or Goodreader which almost everyone feels is extremely useful to read a pdf and a LOT more. When you dl one (if you dl from the net via Safari or some other browser and have Goodreader installed you simply type gr in front of the URL and it will automatically open in Goodreader). If you get one by email, just touch and hold and you get a dialog box thst says "open with" and lists the apps that can read it but you do have to have them installed. There are quite a number of apps that can read pdfs but try Ibooks and Goodreader (not free but really one of the most useful apps in the store)

For the user guide for your current version just open Safari, look at the bottom of the bookmarks and there you are.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Last edited:
OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:

You need either Ibooks (free but you do need to install from the app store) or Goodreader which almost everyone feels is extremely useful to read a pdf and a LOT more. When you dl one (if you dl from the net via Safari or some other browser and have Goodreader installed you simply type gr in front of the URL and it will automatically open in Goodreader). If you get one by email, just touch and hold and you get a dialog box thst says "open with" and lists the apps that can read it but you do have to have them installed. There are quite a number of apps that can read pdfs but try Ibooks and Goodreader (not free but really one of the most useful apps in the store)

For the user guide for your current version just open Safari, look at the bottom of the bookmarks and there you are.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Thanks Diane. I feel a bit more empowered now, seeing as how I know (because of you) where to access the PDF user guide :). I also installed the iBook App. The only thing about that is my wish that it reverted back to the bookshelf upon one's return to it - as opposed to always traveling back to the last thing read. Sometimes I like to alternate between my reading material, instead of staying faithfully with one book until its completion. Maybe the 'GoodReader' App would be featured in that manner.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NLAlston said:

You need either Ibooks (free but you do need to install from the app store) or Goodreader which almost everyone feels is extremely useful to read a pdf and a LOT more. When you dl one (if you dl from the net via Safari or some other browser and have Goodreader installed you simply type gr in front of the URL
and it will automatically open in Goodreader). If you get one by email, just touch and hold and you get a dialog box thst says "open with" and lists the apps that can read it but you do have to have them installed. There are quite a number of apps that can read pdfs but try Ibooks and Goodreader (not free but really one of the most useful apps in the store)

Hope this helps.

Diane

Thanks Diane. I feel a bit more empowered now, seeing as how I know (because of you) where to access the PDF user guide :). I also installed the iBook App. The only thing about that is my wish that it reverted back to the bookshelf upon one's return to it - as opposed to always traveling back to the last thing read. Sometimes I like to alternate between my reading material, instead of staying faithfully with one book until its completion. Maybe the 'GoodReader' App would be featured in that manner.

As u have a book open to read....touch the top left of the book page then hit library when it comes up...it'll take u back to your book shelf

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need to amend what I said about opening a pdf from Safari in Goodreader. Don"t add a gr in front of URL, but use a single g so ghttp, etc.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As u have a book open to read....touch the top left of the book page then hit library when it comes up...it'll take u back to your book shelf

Super. Thanks a million.

Now that you have directed me, I see that the transport had been right in my face all the time :) (I just hadn't focused on it).

Last edited:

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Super. Thanks a million.

Now that you have directed me, I see that the transport had been right in my face all the time :) (I just hadn't focused on it).

I was asking the same question a couple months ago haha

Most reactions