What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

issues with voluming turning itself down with ear phones

kellyd33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there - my ipad is fine, with one exception - if I am watching video, with the headphones, it works for about 15 minutes, then the volume on the headphones just drops away to nothing - the headphone volume icon comes up, and the dot on the volume bar plummets. i can bring it back up, and sometimes it works, other times it refuses to come back up, and is it essentially muted.

Often the headphones icon will sit, unmovable as well, even though you can't force it in to any kind of action.

I have rebooted, and tried different ipod headphones, but within minutes it does it again.

help? thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - this is an unusual problem, which is why, I guess, that you've not received any replies so far.

You've done some of the obvious things (reboot, different headsets) so I'm left puzzled. Just one point - I very much suspect it won't be of any help but since we're so short of ideas, it might be worth a try - does your iPad have a case?

I have the Apple case on my iPad. It has a 'cut-out' for the headphone plug but several Forum members have noted that the cut-out can restrict the plug from being fully inserted - the edge of the cut-out 'catches' the plug somewhat and you need to ease the edge of the case back slightly to allow the plug to be fully inserted. If you don't do this all sorts of strange things can happen.

As I said, I suspect that this isn't going to be helpful but, well, it's something.

If it doesn't help, do you live near an Apple store? If so, I'd be tempted to take it in and let them have a look at it.

Let us know, though, how you get on. I'm sure we'll come up with some other ideas.

Good Luck.

Tim
Scotland

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my iPad in a case once.
It had slightly moved, so a tiny part of the case rested on the toggle-switch for the volume.
Specially when watching movies on a train with the iPad resting on my knees, it happened that it shifted in its case, locking the toggle-switch in the 'low' position.
If I were you, I'd check for this kind of mechanical issue.

sknfbfns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn it down for what haha I had the same problem and I plugged it into another device and it had the same effect yes it is annoying but I contacted apple about the issue and hey said that it means that they were defective so you could take it to the place you got the headphones from or go to an Apple Store and tell them and once they confirm (they will) they will give you a new one because my phone is defective and so are the headphones so it's a win win because I trade in my phone and get everything that comes with it headphones adapter charger and phone and an extra set of headphones so I get two headphones ! So basically just go into an apple stor or do apple chat for specific details

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn it down for what haha I had the same problem and I plugged it into another device and it had the same effect yes it is annoying but I contacted apple about the issue and hey said that it means that they were defective so you could take it to the place you got the headphones from or go to an Apple Store and tell them and once they confirm (they will) they will give you a new one because my phone is defective and so are the headphones so it's a win win because I trade in my phone and get everything that comes with it headphones adapter charger and phone and an extra set of headphones so I get two headphones ! So basically just go into an apple stor or do apple chat for specific details
It's unlikely that the OP will ever see your post as she hasnt been back in over 6 years. In cases like this it's better to start your own thread about the problem and how you solved it.

Most reactions

Latest posts