What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with new Air2

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad came yesterday. It lost the Wi-Fi connection over night. My Mac does same thing and Apple is trying find reason. After a long sleep it drops Wi-Fi. Maybe same issue on iPad. Anyone else have this issue?

Can't change lock screen time when using finger print, only option is immediate. That a bit annoying.

Only issues so far.

Last edited:
OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More on losing wi-fi connection. Tried ipad restore no joy still drops Wi-Fi on wake up from time to time. Talking to Apple so far no joy. All other devices work and don't lose Wi-Fi. Wondering if: since iMac and air 2 are 802.11 AC enabled but router and other devices only N capable that is the issue. Mac and air 2 should shift to N but maybe when they awake they don't? Is it another iOS 8 and Yosemite issue or the Cisco EA3500 ROUTER IS the problem. About to return the Air 2 and get an Air 1 worth more memory.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can try turning off the 5 GHz band on your router. This has worked for most other's having problems with wi-fi on iOS 8. Eventually Apple should fix the issue and we can turn it back on.

Me, I just changed my 5 GHz band to auto select channels, and it started working again. I'm thinking I had interference on the channel I had chosen.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still working with apple but the wi-fi disconnect issue is getting worse and worse, very frequent now.

What's odd is that the Air 1 and mini have no issue and they are both ios8. The iMac has same issue. It was fixed by removing a Bluetooth file when it was running Maverick but that did not fix the problem under Yosemite.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with the WiFi on either of my iPads, but I have had this problem with my MacBook Pro. In fact, I had to reboot last night in order to get it back. I do still have my 5GHz on, so I'll turn that off tonight when I get home. I've got the AirPort Extreme Time Capsule, so it's Apple on Apple in my house.

timbercat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also having the same issue with my Air 1.
I have to turn off WiFi in setting, then turn it back on before it will reconnect. I'm using iOS 8.1

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Must be a lot of ipeople with ssues. My tech support guy's voice mail box is full,i can't leave a message :-(

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Most wifi issues originate with the Router. Most, not all. Generally, people try and get an inexpensive piece of gear to be their main connection to the outside world, or rely on their broadband provider to give them the equipment. This leads to sub-standard equipment and devices that just dont last long.

Before following the below, write down any port-forwarding settings you have set up on your router.

1. Now, that being said, IF you are comfortable, upgrade your router to latest firmware and then reset it to factory defaults - wiping out all settings.
2. Start from scratch. As if you just bought it.
3. Give it a different name and different passkey.
4. Delete all wifi saved networks from all your devices.
5. Set them up, one by one until you have them all back online.

I go through this with our users all the time at work. Their device works when it is outside their home, but not when it is at home. It generally all comes down to using old and inexpensive equipment.

And stay way away from the combo Modem/Router equipment.

Personally, I do this on a near yearly basis at home, and I have never had issues with the router and my devices. I have had the broadband company replace the modem twice for faulty units.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Should probably do this with trepidation. Router is EA3500 Linksys, software is up to date. Interestingly I put a printer on its USB port. You need to load belkin software for the PC and iMac. WORKED FINE under Maverick. Software won't load with Yosemite.

Both iMac and iPad 2 having issues. Both 802.11 AC. Might be correlation.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You should never need ANY extra software to work with a router. If you are, you are probably getting a conflict there.

Take the printer off, and take it to ground 0. Then, just use an ethernet cable and log into the router there. generally it will work if you take a browser to http://192.168.1.1 or the like. Check the IP address of the machine plugged into it.

I am running on a 2012 Apple AirPort Extreme (no A/C on it, only N) with 5GHz turned on and have no issues whatsoever.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay but why should Air 2 has issues and Air 1 and the Mini not when both are iOS 8.1?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
For the same reason we have people who take work laptops home and it not work on their home network where the rest of their devices do. There is an issue with the router (generally.)

Does the Air 2 work correctly on other access points?
Did you reset all network settings on the Air 2?

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see Mac rumors is reporting Mac is having the same issues with Yosemite. Lucky me I have both and have the issues on both.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay but why should Air 2 has issues and Air 1 and the Mini not when both are iOS 8.1?

Mini has issues to with iOS 8.1
Makes your iPad lag and the rotation is super slow. Some apps crash a lot!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most wifi issues originate with the Router. Most, not all. Generally, people try and get an inexpensive piece of gear to be their main connection to the outside world, or rely on their broadband provider to give them the equipment. This leads to sub-standard equipment and devices that just dont last long.

Before following the below, write down any port-forwarding settings you have set up on your router.

1. Now, that being said, IF you are comfortable, upgrade your router to latest firmware and then reset it to factory defaults - wiping out all settings.
2. Start from scratch. As if you just bought it.
3. Give it a different name and different passkey.
4. Delete all wifi saved networks from all your devices.
5. Set them up, one by one until you have them all back online.

I go through this with our users all the time at work. Their device works when it is outside their home, but not when it is at home. It generally all comes down to using old and inexpensive equipment.

And stay way away from the combo Modem/Router equipment.

Personally, I do this on a near yearly basis at home, and I have never had issues with the router and my devices. I have had the broadband company replace the modem twice for faulty units.

While there is some good info in this post I can't agree with all of it. I have a router modem combo that actually works like a champ with all of our Apple devices and various other items. I agree that the router is often the issue with this stuff but enough people are having problems that it seems Apple has to work on this issue.

Otherwise, yeah, do the usual resets and all that to see if it helps. :)

Most reactions