What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

issue in ipad

minnie143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi.
I have an issue. i got an Ipad2 just a month ago. I bought it for my education purpose so that I could carry it with me to my uni as I didnt want to carry my 2.5 kg Macbook everyday. Anyways, lets get to the point.
When i login to my uni website, i cannot read some lecture notes posted by my lecturers. When i open a lecture note i am able to read only the section that appears on the screen. i am not able to scroll down further to view the rest of the notes. as i move the screen to scroll or zoom in/out, the whole screen section moves, it just appears as a picture file screenfitted rather than a complete lecture file.
On my macbook i have no problem with any of them. infact on my macbook i am able to save those notes as pdfs. i dont even get that "save" option on the ipad.
I went to the Sydney apple store and sought help from few of the members. they were also surprised to see what they saw..
I dont know what to do.
Please help.... :-(

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum! From another Aussie

Sit tight and someone will be along who can help you, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you try to scroll a frame independent of the page, use two fingers. The technique that works best for me is to hold my first and second finger lightly together, and then swipe up/down within the section.

This will work with most websites. Occasionally you'll run into a site that uses an incompatible plugin to display documents or sections. In that case the results are anything from what you are describing to simply not displaying the area at all.

Last edited:
OP
M

minnie143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually the situation is, my lecture notes contain pdfs inside frames. with any other websites, it is possible to do the scrolling. the problem is with the pdfs inside the frames... i also googled and saw the same suggestion on many other forums.. but it simply does not work for my uni lectures. anyways thanx for the try... i will wait and research more...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
actually the situation is, my lecture notes contain pdfs inside frames. with any other websites, it is possible to do the scrolling. the problem is with the pdfs inside the frames... i also googled and saw the same suggestion on many other forums.. but it simply does not work for my uni lectures. anyways thanx for the try... i will wait and research more...

Hi Minnie - welcome to the forum! :)

You might want to explain just what programs are being used to display your lectures/notes? I'm having a problem trying to understand just what you need to do, e.g. are these PowerPoint type lectures, some type of combination, or other options?

Might help others help w/ your issues - BTW, I'm a retired academic radiology professor and am quite familiar w/ these issues, so just trying to appreciate your problems - good luck and hope that the forum can help you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
actually the situation is, my lecture notes contain pdfs inside frames.

Ah, I've seen that before. I've never had to solve it, but here are the things I would try.

First, I'd give the Flash enabled browsers a try. They do Flash poorly, but they sometimes work with other sites. They use a server to go tot he site (usually using FireFox) then repackage and send it to the iPad. This makes some content, like Java and Flash, somewhat accessible. How accessible varies. The most often mentioned browsers are Puffin, SkyFire, and iSwifter.

Opera Mini works in a similar fashion, and would be worth trying. Unlike the previous browsers, it is free.

Another option is a remote desktop app. It's pretty much guaranteed to work, but you need a desktop computer that you can leave on and connected to the internet. You access that desktop through the remote app, and use the desktop's browser.

Splashtop is cheap and works well. It also has an experimental feature that will let you use your Google account to access the desktop even when you are on the same network. It's not very secure though, since anyone next to the desktop can see what you are doing.

Other remote apps are more secure, but also more trouble to set up.

OP
M

minnie143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@giradman, as far as i know, the website is in javascript and the lecture notes are pdfs inside frames. so what happens is a section of the frame appears and that's it. i cannot see any other part of my lecture notes. the whole screen moves as i try to scroll. two finger slide doesnt work either as it does for normal webpages..

@twerppoet, i tried opera mini once, for the first time it seemed to work well, the lecture note opened in a new tab as a separate pdf and i opened it in ibooks, then after every session created an error message, i logged off, restarted the browser (opera mini) but it never let me enter my uni website again (which is absoulutely weired).. i havent been able to find any other web browsers for ipad...

if this continues, i will really be frustrated with ipad because the sole purpose of buying it was for my education purpose.... i dont even know if i will be refunded if there will be no solution to this problem...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try closing Mini Opera in the Multitask bar, and or restarting the iPad. That might might help get it to work for you again. Other than that and what I've mentioned, I don't have any other ideas. Good luck.

I'm curious, doesn't your lecture site offer an alternate way to download the PDFs? An archive or something better than trying to view/read them online? Many do.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.
If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Minnie - I agree w/ TP whether there are other options to get your PDF files to your iPad - there are plenty of PDF file readers for the iPad, such as GoodReader - still not sure how your lectures are constructed - mine use to be PowerPoint presentations (had a lot of images as an academic radiologist) - are you giving your lectures as 'slides' w/ bullet lists or in another format?

Not help much here but just trying to understand if there may be another way to use the iPad to present your talks - sorry for the confusion and your frustration - good luck and please post back if we might still help? Dave :)

OP
M

minnie143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you everyone who's been trying to help.
i wanted to give opera another shot, so downloaded it again and tried login.. the same thing happened. first it works, logs me in, it even lets me access to one of my lecture notes.. but again the amazing behaviour is, it opens my lecture note in pdf not in opera but in safari (very very strange)... then i go back to my lecture notes list and try open another one, and this time it does not work, says "error: session already running...". then i log off and close the opera mini from the task bar.. relaunch it and try login.. this time even more strange thing happens.. it does not let me login and the same msg appears "error: session already running"..
i m sick of this ..
once more, my lecture notes are javascript webpages with pdfs inside frames...
thank you all for bearing me ... :) ....... :-((

OP
M

minnie143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with all the wait for nearly two months, my frustation is not over yet. in fact it has risen. the problem persists. i am still searching a lot on the web for solutions but havent come across one. the reason i m still holding on is my uni is closed until 20th of Feb. The only option for me now is wait till the uni resumes, go to them and personally ask for a solution. i guess a lot of other ACU students also use IPAD for their learning and maybe they also have had a problem like mine. Well its all up to the Uni and their technology that can help me. this doesnt mean that others have to stop. everyone is still warmly welcome for the solution as it will a great breakthrough.

Thanks again
and wish everyone all the best, a very very happy new year.

Chimp1cards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may help...Puffin browser has a track pad option that helped me navigate and use aspects of a webpage that didn't respond to traditional mobile touch. Perhaps can be used for PDF embedded in frames?

Most reactions

Latest posts