What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any auto logoff on ipad web browsers

bobkeenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a lot of password protected sites. I guess that I am used to shutting down the browsers on my desktop. That clears the site and I need to use the password again to get in.

On the iPad, unless you remember to go to the screen that shows all of the running programs and shut down the browser, the app keeps all of your visited open secure sites.... OPEN!

Its convenient but if anyone can get to my ipad before it goes to sleep OR if they can get past the initial log on code...... they will have access to all of those pages.

Is there any way around this to auto logoff the secure site or auto shutdown on the app?

Reaction score
The iPad keeps minimized apps (when you switch between apps, or go back to the home screen) in a frozen state, where the current state of the app is not actively running, but can be quickly resumed.

Usually apps only get removed from this frozen state, when the ram is needed for other tasks. So you have a couple of options

a) run a memory intensive app, such as a racing game. (Probably not the most reliable option)
b) close safari
-press the home button twice in quick succession (to enter the multitaskbar)
-press onto the Safari icon, until it start's wiggling
-select the red circle on the Safari icon. This will close Safari
c) run XSysInfo. It cleans the iPad's ram and thus removes all currently running apps from the ram. When enabling 'Deep clean' & 'clean at launch', then XSysInfo will clean the ram, as soon as you start the app and since the cleaning closes all apps, it will autoclose XSysInfo, so it is a one-step process to clear the ram.

Anyway, all those methods result in removing Safari from the frozen state in the ram, so that it forgets any login formation, as Safari does not have an autologoff feature.

OP
B

bobkeenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad keeps minimized apps (when you switch between apps, or go back to the home screen) in a frozen state, where the current state of the app is not actively running, but can be quickly resumed.

Usually apps only get removed from this frozen state, when the ram is needed for other tasks. So you have a couple of options

a) run a memory intensive app, such as a racing game. (Probably not the most reliable option)
b) close safari
-press the home button twice in quick succession (to enter the multitaskbar)
-press onto the Safari icon, until it start's wiggling
-select the red circle on the Safari icon. This will close Safari
c) run XSysInfo. It cleans the iPad's ram and thus removes all currently running apps from the ram. When enabling 'Deep clean' & 'clean at launch', then XSysInfo will clean the ram, as soon as you start the app and since the cleaning closes all apps, it will autoclose XSysInfo, so it is a one-step process to clear the ram.

Anyway, all those methods result in removing Safari from the frozen state in the ram, so that it forgets any login formation, as Safari does not have an autologoff feature.

I tried all of these and they do not work. If you open a page that requires a login, the ONLY way to make sure that you cannot get back into it is to logoff the page. Going to another site and then going back brings you right into the same password protected page without using the pass word. Going to the multitasking bar and deleting the program....no difference. After doing that and restarting safari...it goes right back into the password protected page. I even bought the XSysinfo program and set it up for Deep clean.....no change.

So is it possible that I am stuck with open secure site pages unless I log out??

Reaction score
Wow.

I am not sure, what I was thinking there. The auto log off doesn't work with Safari.

However, you could use an alternative browser, such as Atomic, then enable Private Mode. That will close all tabs, clear cache&cookies everytime Atomic goes into background. So as soon as you minimize Atomic, or switch to another app, it forgets all your personal information. This is working 100%. I turned on private mode, logged into a website, went to the home screen and after reopening Atomic, it had forgotten everything.

There may be other third-party browsers with similar functionality. I only tried Terra and it does the same way as Safari in this regard, but Atomic does exactly what you are looking for.

OP
B

bobkeenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Wow.

I am not sure, what I was thinking there. The auto log off doesn't work with Safari.

However, you could use an alternative browser, such as Atomic, then enable Private Mode. That will close all tabs, clear cache&cookies everytime Atomic goes into background. So as soon as you minimize Atomic, or switch to another app, it forgets all your personal information. This is working 100%. I turned on private mode, logged into a website, went to the home screen and after reopening Atomic, it had forgotten everything.

There may be other third-party browsers with similar functionality. I only tried Terra and it does the same way as Safari in this regard, but Atomic does exactly what you are looking for.

I tried icabmobile ando that worked. thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts