What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an APP that allows for downloading Excel, Word, and PowerPoint files?

NEWPORT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And allow them to be opened up and accessed and altered or changed later?

Yes I know I am mixing two religions here, but I am trying to convert all the way over, but I cannot do it unless I can work....and I need this to work!

OP
NEWPORT

NEWPORT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you ok when I get this app i can download and edit these documents correct? And where are the documents stored? In a My Documents type location....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use Documents to Go, but I believe you can use it with Dropbox. This is a good combo, since it would leave your files available on both the computer and your portable devices. Otherwise the documents will be stored locally on the iPad, only available to Documents to Go, until you sync them back to the computer to use. You easily end up with multiple versions of each document.

Hold in mind that any iPad app you use, including Documents To Go, is not 100% Office compatible. Keep the documents simple without the fancy tricks and you should be ok.

Edit: Looks like only the more expensive Premium version has direct support for Dropbox.

Last edited:
OP
NEWPORT

NEWPORT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use Documents to Go, but I believe you can use it with Dropbox. This is a good combo, since it would leave your files available on both the computer and your portable devices. Otherwise the documents will be stored locally on the iPad, only available to Documents to Go, until you sync them back to the computer to use. You easily end up with multiple versions of each document.

Hold in mind that any iPad app you use, including Documents To Go, is not 100% Office compatible. Keep the documents simple without the fancy tricks and you should be ok.

Edit: Looks like only the more expensive Premium version has direct support for Dropbox.

Thanks again, I use a web based e-mail connection so I can always recapture the documents from my web based e-mail on my laptop and download there as well.

I guess to your 2nd point I need to know can I alter Power point and do the documents stay in word, excel, and PP form or do they convert something similar?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The files remain in Office format. There is detailed information on the companies website which is linked on the app page in the app store

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What USBill said. I only mentioned the compatibility issue because some people expect extended features like embedded documents to work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes I know I am mixing two religions here, but I am trying to convert all the way over, but I cannot do it unless I can work....and I need this to work!

Dear Newport,

Another possibility, to those already mentioned, are the Apple 'Office' apps - 'Pages' (Word compatible), 'Numbers' (Excel compatible) and 'Keynote' (PowerPoint compatible). All of these apps will read 'native' Office format - including the .docx, .pptx, .xlsx format - and edit and export them in .doc, .xls, .ppt or PDF format. Documents can be imported using email attachments (from where Pages, Numbers and Keynote can open them directly) or from the Apple 'MobileMe' server. If you have the latest OS, then you can print the document directly too. As other contributors have pointed out, these are 'stripped down' full-size apps, so there are some limitations in what they can do or display. Nevertheless, I've used them for some months now and they seem reliable given these restrictions.

You can find out more here

Apple - iPad - Create beautiful documents with a tap.

Apple - iPad - Innovative spreadsheets in just a few taps.

and here

Apple - iPad - Powerful presentations at your fingertips.

There's also extensive on-line help

Tim
Scotland

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All of these apps will read 'native' Office format - including the .docx, .pptx, .xlsx format - and edit and export them in .doc, .xls, .ppt or PDF
With varying degrees of faithfulness. If you don't expect too much you should be ok.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Documents to Go and am pleased with it. I just am mindful of formatting issues, but so far so good. But I don't use anything fancy, just basic fonts and spacing, etc. But it works. I even now type documents in Docs to Go and then convert them to PDF and then can make notes on them. Pretty cool stuff.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages, Numbers, Keynote for the iPad

Dear Newport,

Another possibility, to those already mentioned, are the Apple 'Office' apps - 'Pages' (Word compatible), 'Numbers' (Excel compatible) and 'Keynote' (PowerPoint compatible). All of these apps will read 'native' Office format - including the .docx, .pptx, .xlsx format - and edit and export them in .doc, .xls, .ppt or PDF format. Documents can be imported using email attachments (from where Pages, Numbers and Keynote can open them directly) or from the Apple 'MobileMe' server. If you have the latest OS, then you can print the document directly too. As other contributors have pointed out, these are 'stripped down' full-size apps, so there are some limitations in what they can do or display. Nevertheless, I've used them for some months now and they seem reliable given these restrictions.

You can find out more here

Apple - iPad - Create beautiful documents with a tap.

Apple - iPad - Innovative spreadsheets in just a few taps.

and here

Apple - iPad - Powerful presentations at your fingertips.

There's also extensive on-line help

Tim
Scotland

QFT

iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are currently the most compatible apps for opening, accessing, modifying, and transferring to and from Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).

compat-formats-20100824.jpg

I've been using these apps with ease. It's even easier to transfer and sync docs, spreadsheets, and presentations with MobileMe enabled.

iwork_ipad.png

Apple - iWork - Documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. The Mac way.

Apple - iWork - Open, save, and email Microsoft Office files.

Last edited:

kokushka59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks to all who contributed to this iWorks Suite use (Pages, Numbers, KeyNote). Since I am new on the Forum and just got my iPad (with the newest OS 4.2), can some one shed the light on how to print directly from Ipad a document from any of the above mentioned applications to the WiFi enabled network printer, without "hubbing" it through the PC or MAC computer. Would a separate Printer App be necessary to purchase/download ( and if so, which is recommended to be able to print any of the documents from the iWorks suite, PDFs and Webpages)? Or is the wireless printing capability of IPAD already enabled through this new OS 4.2?

Many thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't print directly from the iWorks apps at this time. Right now you have to export the document via iTunes, Email, iDisk, iWork.com, or a WebDAV client. They don't even support the Airprint. Probably because it isn't fully implemented yet. I'd expect it to show up in the next update, sometime around April or May, if the rumors pan out.

You can print from some other apps using Airprint, but you'll need a compatible printer. iOS: AirPrint 101

I've hear rumors that Epson is also producing a compatible printer now, or in the near future. I can't confirm that.

It is possible to get apps that will let your print via the Open With feature. You need one for the iPad and a host computer, PC or Mac. With that it is possible to save your file in on iDisk and then use the iDisk app to print. Or you can email the document to yourself and print from the Mail app.

I use Printer Pro, but there are a couple others that work just as well or better.

And that about exhausts my knowledge of printing wirelessly from the iPad. And speaking of exhaustion, maybe I should go to bed. I'm starting to run out of night.

Most reactions

Latest posts