What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to view SWF presentations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retropedro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to view my lectures from university on my ipad 2, but Safari doesn't seem to support them. It's not a normal animation, but rather like a ppt presentation where you click through various information points on each slide. I can only find swf converters to make them into mp4, but surely that will remove the "click-to-proceed" function? On my PC they open in Chrome without a hitch and everything is beautiful, but I believe that Chrome isn't available for the ipad 2 either. If anyone could give me a clue that would be so great :) I've been searching the forum and google for ages and turned up nothing!

Diavonex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retropedro said:
I'm trying to view my lectures from university on my ipad 2, but Safari doesn't seem to support them. It's not a normal animation, but rather like a ppt presentation where you click through various information points on each slide. I can only find swf converters to make them into mp4, but surely that will remove the "click-to-proceed" function? On my PC they open in Chrome without a hitch and everything is beautiful, but I believe that Chrome isn't available for the ipad 2 either. If anyone could give me a clue that would be so great :) I've been searching the forum and google for ages and turned up nothing!

SWF is an Adobe Flash File format; you'll need a Flash Reader.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Flash cannot and will not be supported on iPad.

I can't believe you've turned up nothing regarding iPad and flash. Every single google entry on the first page of a 'iPad and swf' search comes up with converters and flash references. Surely this tells you something?

OP
R

retropedro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the converters are to change it to video formats compatible with iOS but, like I said, the presentations contain animations and information that are directed by the facility to click your way though, like a ppt. I want to be able to keep it in a non-video format to be able to skip back and forth through slides and animations (of which there are many). As far as I can see, there is no flash reader available for iOS with full support as they look to be geared towards either animation only or games only with no overlap. There are a couple of browsers, but without full flash support, so they can't even be guaranteed to work with these files. It may be possible for me to get the presentations in the JAR format, which also operates a click function and is identical to the SWF presentations, but I can't find a JAR compatible viewer for iOS either. Safari has failed to open the files as well.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Yes, whichever way you do it you,ll not get much joy. As you say, there are several flash and associated browsers and apps available, but so far, I've yet to find any that as remotely usable or flash compatible, no matter what they claim.

You can certainly get converters that make a stand alone video, but not a non-linear or non distructive stream, with the same interaction you get in ppt and other swf presentations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions