What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to stop websites automatically diverting you to mobile site version?

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive noticed on some websites when searching through google will say would you like to download our app for this site giving you the option to view the whole site if you press cancel, but some sites automatically switch to the mobile version instead of the full site even though the iPad has the ability to view the actual site? Can you get round this? Sometimes I try to delete the m. From the start of the URL but this just goes back to mobile version again?
Just wondering if there is a work around or does it depend on the website?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One solution is to use a browser that will report that it is not running on a mobile device. I think the atomic browser does this. There may be other ways to accomplish this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Atomic and iCab Mobile are the two browsers that I know of that can change their browser ID (lie) about what browser they are. The don't do it by default. You have to change their settings; but it's not difficult.

Hold in mind that sometimes you're being diverted to a mobile site for a reason, like the desktop version does not work, or works poorly, with mobile devices. Apple's icloud.com site is one of these.

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's mainly for sites like twitter etc I've noticed the mobile version does not have the same features like settings and security to change a password, have done it on PC but il be sure to check it out thanks

Cello64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The worst offender I see is Spotify. My wife is a professional cellist and regularly plays along with a spotify track by way of practice - this is the free access (lots of adverts but free). Using Safari on the iPad to go to the spotify website (ie not use the spotify app), it redirects and will not let you get to the 'freemium' area; it refuses access and states that a subscription is required (@ £10 per month!).

Most reactions