What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to add folders to my email?

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have pop3 email account which I use Outlook Expess for my Comcast account. I have inbox,sent, and trash on Ipad. I would like to add a Save Folder to save certain emails but can't find a way. Any ideas?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
You will need to log into the web-based version of your email to create folders. Once you have folders, you will be able to move messages around.

I would recommend, however, getting something like a gmail account and forwarding your comcast emails to that. You can set Gmail up to use IMAP, allowing you to have your mail sync'd on different devices/computers. If you can connect to Comcast with IMAP, that is a possibility as well.

The thing with POP3 is that once you download the message off the server, you cant easily download it again to a different location.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I already have a Save folder on my online Comcast account. So that don't work. Any other ideas?

T

TJK

As suggested - move to IMAP. A big advantage of moving to GMAIL is that you can get an email address that is yours regardless of what cable company or internet provider you have at the moment. It is a real pain to change email addresses...but get yourself a gmail account and you don't have to deal with that again. GMAIL also includes a lot of nifty features like calendar and contact sync, etc.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess what it really boils down to is Uncle Steve gave us an inferior mail program that just wasn't thought out.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
no, not at all. I use it with no issues with my Exchange server for email/contacts/calendar and a 2nd email account (gmail) that is connected to by IMAP.

I still say it is an inferior product. A simple task like creating a folder or two not supported makes it inferior.

T

TJK

no, not at all. I use it with no issues with my Exchange server for email/contacts/calendar and a 2nd email account (gmail) that is connected to by IMAP.

I still say it is an inferior product. A simple task like creating a folder or two not supported makes it inferior.

Say what you want but your options are being limited by POP3 and Comcast, not the iPad. I have 4 separate IMAP email accounts set up on my iPad (and iPhone and MacBook Pro and HP Win 7 laptop) and they all work beautifully. IMAP adopts and mirrors the folder structures EXACTLY as I have them configured on the GMAIL IMAP servers for all of my mail accounts and keeps them perfectly in sync. POP3 simply does not work this way so if anything it is POP3 that is inferior. I simply go the settings panel in GMAIL - add / delete a folder and it is instantly mirrored on all of my other devices.

It took me about 3 seconds to run down a google search and determine that Comcast does not support IMAP...however as others have pointed out you can use AOL or GMAIL as in intermediary and get the features you want.

follow this link and give it a try. With IMAP the iPad would adopt an identical folder structure and keep it synced:

Comcast IMAP access

Silvio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm a bit simple on this subject but are we saying that to open some additional folders in my mail account I can no longer use my iinet account? I'm not really comfortable with changing POP settings etc
Regards,
Silvio

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Internet Service Providers (ISP) such as Comcast and

Verizon, now Frontier, use POP3 protocol for email. While Frontier doesn't outright encourage you to use Gmail (or other company offerings), it does not offer any assistance in helping you figure out how to make your device download email from their service.

This is why I am now a MobileMe.com subscriber. By going to an ISP neutral email service, I don't have to rely solely on Frontier to get me email.

Most reactions

Latest posts