What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the screen really that much worse than ipad 2 screen?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you read the article you linked? They are comparing the screen of the mini to that of a retina screen iPad (iPad 3 and 4). Compared to that, yes it is a let down. But it is better than (or as good as) the screen of iPad 2. The pixels are closer together on the mini compared to the iPad 1 and 2, and thus the text is sharper. But, the pixels are not as close together as on the iPad 3 and 4, so compared to those the text is not as sharp.

If you have an iPad 2, you will have no problems with the screen of the mini. Those who have an iPad 3 or 4, may have. I can clearly see the difference, but I can still read on the mini just fine, though I really would prefer a retina screen. The mini is so much lighter and so tiny and feel better in the hand than the larger iPad, that I'd rather use the mini most of the time. But there are times when I need to retina screen - because I read a lot of PDF files that have equations and tiny characters.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok thanks, as long as the screen is better than ipads 2 ill be happy. ipad 2 screen seems outdated and blurray now.

Going to get mini today and sell ipad 2.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me the screen on the iPad2 is better than the mini. The smaller the letters the more important it is to have more pixels.

I can't tell a difference between retina and non retina with photos. The only time I can tell a difference between retina and non retina is when reading super tiny text.

Compare an iPhone3 to an iPhone4. The difference is amazing.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can definitely tell the difference between a retina image and a non retina image on a retina iPad.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
With nothing to compare it to but an iPad 2, which I have - the mini display appears slightly clearer. For me at least, the same pixel density as an iPad 2 compressed for a smaller screen - sharpens the image. And because I'm cheap - the mini ensures I don't start paying more for iTunes HD downloads. :)

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't tell a difference between it and my ipad 4. Really. I bought both on release day and the screen looks identical.

There is definitely a difference and it is easy to see. However, people who claim the iPad mini has a bad screen aren't being objective or truthful. I can read both just fine, but the retina screen is superior. When they say letdown they mean comparatively....the retina screen can spoil you.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i saw a Mini in BB and the screen looked fine. I wasn't going to buy the Mini but after playing with it in BB, it hooked me. I ordered one tonight. I have an ipad 3 as well and there is a difference, but not a big enough one to me. I got a 16GB wifi white model.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used an iPad 3 since the day they were released and I recently purchased an iPad mini. While you can definitely tell that the screen on the mini is not as Sharp as that of the iPad 3, it definitely appears sharper than the screen of an iPad 2, which I also own. Likely this is due to the smaller size of the individual pixels. It's very hard to notice the pixels unless you look at the screen from a closer than normal distance.

Seobaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is complete exaggeration.

I am using it right now and I wouldn't call it bad. Yes, the iPad 3 and 4 could be so much better given that it has retina display. But I don't think it's worse than the ipad 2. God such critics can be so hard to please.

tigs99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seobaby said:
This is complete exaggeration.

I am using it right now and I wouldn't call it bad. Yes, the iPad 3 and 4 could be so much better given that it has retina display. But I don't think it's worse than the ipad 2. God such critics can be so hard to please.

I have the iPad 3 and just bought a Mini for my wife. I really like it an it is very difficult to notice the difference of the screen between the two.

Yes, technically it isn't as good but in actual use it's fine. I have to say that in some respects such as size and weight I could be convinced that the Mini is a more useful
device.

Most reactions