What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the price of the iPad3 going to change?

MaxColin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm portuguese and it hasn't been released in Portugal yet (only in a few stores) and the price is exactly the same as an iPad2 (I'm only looking for 16Gb model as I only use my iPad to surf the web; use some apps; and read). The iPad2 is already out of stock in most stores though (some marketing technique, I wonder?).

However, I've read somewhere that the prices are only going to stay this way for a few weeks, before raising $100 (which is "wrongly" converted to 100€ in our stores). Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks for your time and answers guys :)

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a system of keepin universal prices worldwide. Getting rid of 2s is a prep for the iPad 3 takeover, but prices won't rise. You can expect the black Friday slash at the end of the year, but I don't know if that's worldwide.

To be clear iPad 2 prices dropped collectively
16gb
Wifi 499 to 399
3G 629 to 529

New iPad will be original 499 and 629 for 16.

But it won't go up to 599 or 729.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MaxColin said:
I'm portuguese and it hasn't been released in Portugal yet (only in a few stores) and the price is exactly the same as an iPad2 (I'm only looking for 16Gb model as I only use my iPad to surf the web; use some apps; and read). The iPad2 is already out of stock in most stores though (some marketing technique, I wonder?).

However, I've read somewhere that the prices are only going to stay this way for a few weeks, before raising $100 (which is "wrongly" converted to 100€ in our stores). Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks for your time and answers guys :)

Hello MaxColin, welcome to the forum! My observation is based solely on what has happened in the past--which is no guarantee for what will come to pass in the future. (HUH?) For the last three versions of the iPad, the price of an iPad changes only when a new one becomes available. When Apple established its price point for the iPad, it dared to carry on the same pricing structure for the new iPad2. About three weeks before the iPad2 became available, the price of the original iPad dropped US$100.00. So there was a lot of people wondering if it was worth getting the first iPad based on price versus the new iPad2 based on new features.

The same thing happened to the iPad2 when the new iPad (third generation) became available this past March 2012. Interestingly, Apple added a new twist and has kept the iPad 2 16 gig model in production (at least it seems that way--perhaps someone can confirm this) and makes this model sell for US$399.00. The comparable new iPad is US$499. If you are interested in purchasing the iPad2 16g, I would go to your country's Apple website and see if you can get it online.

Rarely does Apple discount its current product line. But once in awhile, it does. For the past two years, Apple discounted its iPads by an average of US$50 on Black Friday--which is the day after the US Thanksgiving Holiday.

Regarding increasing the price of the iPad in your country, that would be a reseller's marketing? I have not seen Apple, the company, raise the price of the iPad after it is released or at any time. Maybe this increase is a function of the Euro versus US$?

Most reactions

Latest posts