What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the New 3D iOS Maps gonna be better than Google Maps ?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be it Android or be it iOS atleast me, I am sure others would have also, by now so got used to using Google Maps as their most preferred option for Maps, I wonder how these new 3D Maps acquired by Apple is gonna deliver ? Not many have got an glimpse except for the screenshots that have been floating around the web which are screenshots that Team Apple showed to the world yesterday. Not many know how is gonna look and render information.

Do you guys think is it gonna be any better than Google Maps ?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The map program is build on the Tom-Tom program, which is my favorite GPS drive program. There will be a lot of really nice features and functions in the Apple map program, but Street View is something that takes years to build the data base. There is no way that Apple will be able to create this, and very little reason to. Street View is very popular, but has gotten Google in a lot of trouble in almost every country. There are times when it is more practical to let the competition make all the mistakes.

tomcrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google map is far superior to apple map.

The reason for this is that google had more time to get data.

Also air view or whatever only works for the major downtown areas only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Garmin has been considered the best GPS system, but after trying several, I much prefer the Tom Tom system. There is very little that Apple will be missing in their map program. The maps have been developed long before Google came along. Street view has its virtues, but is very limited in function. It is a fun gimmick, but I think that where Apple may get the advantage is with Siri and traffic updates. It is way to early to say either is superior.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Garmin has been considered the best GPS system, but after trying several, I much prefer the Tom Tom system. There is very little that Apple will be missing in their map program. The maps have been developed long before Google came along. Street view has its virtues, but is very limited in function. It is a fun gimmick, but I think that where Apple may get the advantage is with Siri and traffic updates. It is way to early to say either is superior.

Street view is not a gimmick. It's great to be able to stand on the street of an unknown location and see what to expect when you get there. I use it all the time. I even use it to find the best parking nearby.

Also missing is transit routing.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well for me Street view is not as important as much is Turn by Turn Navigation. So I guess I will not miss that feature a lot. But as long as the new 3D Map with iOS 6 is efficient in guiding to reach from point A to point B I guess, that is primarily what I am looking out for ! Rest all are fancy features which I can do away with. So I wonder how the 3D maps will work for basic routing and directions as compared to Google Maps !

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The answer is blowing in the wind come the official release of ios 6 then you will have your answer any thing else is speculation period.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tried it and felt its inferior to google maps in every possible way. but yes turn by turn navigation does work well but the satellite view is absolutely rubbish with absolutely no details once u zoom in even 20%. 3d maps r only available for certain big metro cities.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will be a few years before that happens, I'm on the iOS 6 maps, and apple doesn't have any of the streets in Venezuela mapped yet, and I'm assuming its the same in a lot of other third world countries, but google had the streets mapped and labeled. And like others said previously, street view is missing.

Once apple gets its own fleet of street mapping vehicles, and global street support, it will catch up to google. Thought by this time google would have probably mapped and labeled every little detail in all the streets and all countries in all parts of the world. To me it seems like a multi-decade mapping race where google has a few years head start, and the only way apple can catch up is after google has reached the finish line.

subscription01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it cover only those cities where u don't need any map at all. I mean mostly bigger cities.

Most reactions

Latest posts