What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad future proof ? Will it continue to reign supreme ?

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With over 100 Android tablets as well as RIM's PlayBook offering and Windows 8 tablets round the corner, will the iPad continue to be supremo ?

2 phone/pad combinations have been rumoured (see pics), could this be the future for The iPad/iPhone also ? I used to own an iPhone but it became useless to me when iPad 1 was released. Migrated to a HTC HD7 Windows 7 device.

In my view it would make great sense, aesthetically the team at Cupertino have always dominated.

You could post your mock-ups here.

It would be nice to hear the views of the forum.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Attachments

• image-1406317405.png
    image-1406317405.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 768
  • image-805743386.png
    image-805743386.png
    383 KB · Views: 477

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first impression was this would be a cool device, but after thinking about it I don't see much benefit from it. Who would want a huge phone? You could sync apps and info, but a better solution would be a revamped mobile me.

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom811 said:
My first impression was this would be a cool device, but after thinking about it I don't see much benefit from it. Who would want a huge phone? You could sync apps and info, but a better solution would be a revamped mobile me.

I have 5 tailor made suits with built in iPad pockets so carrying the device would be fine. I also make dozens of calls per day from my iPad (Skype, viber and to a lesser extent FaceTime), as wells as send 100's of free texts per day (Pingchat, LiveProfile), I think the combination would be great. The iPhone would become useful to me again. Of course I still need a mobile phone sadly for work mainly.

Thanks for responding. Didn't think I'd get any comments on this thread.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although the iPad hasn't been around too long, the iPod has dominated the music player market for a very long time - some might even argue it kick started it. So Apple got it right there and they were very effectively to fend off the competition by continuing to innovate and produce products that their customers wanted. I suspect that the iPad will enjoy just as much and long-lived success.

Tim

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For tablet computing, yes, for the forseeable future, but won't make much difference to netbooks or laptops/notebooks as they both are for completely different types of users

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree slightly, maybe because I just spent about 100 mins listening to an interview given by Steve Jobs at D8 (a year ago, available to watch in 10 parts on youtube), where he spoke about the post PC era (laptops and desktops, not just Microsoft products), I think we are rapidly progressing into this. I used to spend hours at my PC which migrated to laptop which migrated to laptop/netbook combination. I am still a huge fan of Microsoft (and will probably remain so), but I think this is the dawn of the tablet PC and I am certain the reign will be a very long one.

Tablets will of course evolve with time, I just hope Cupertino (with or without Steve Jobs, hope he is doing well health wise), have the future-telling vision of this iconic CEO. (I think Bill Gates is a visionary icon too). Many of the newer tablets aesthetically are as pleasing if not more so in a few cases than the iPad (I better wash my mouth out with soap and water), the combi-phone pads in my view are a step in the right direction.

Time will of course tell.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I thought more or less the same about my first microwave oven 35 years ago. :( Until I started using it. :D

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought it reigned supreme already? Most expensive but according to owners, the best you can get! Sounds like an ad?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this point in time, the iPad is supreme within its area of use. The future is up to the steady progress in technology and innovation. I envision a time when house windows will become computer screens. Either see through displays to allow you to change to a computer image when desired, or a big screen OLED screen that makes a blank wall look like a window when needed.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Still waiting to see the iPod/iPhone/iPad killer. Like Santa, we keep hearing about it, but never saw it...

I think we're good to go for a few years ;)

VicoPad addict!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
At this point in time, the iPad is supreme within its area of use. The future is up to the steady progress in technology and innovation. I envision a time when house windows will become computer screens. Either see through displays to allow you to change to a computer image when desired, or a big screen OLED screen that makes a blank wall look like a window when needed.

Wow, what an imagination! I'll have some of that! What a fabulous idea, so when the sky is grey and cloudy, we can put on a lovely sunny day instead. I can definitely see the point of window computer screens!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Wow, what an imagination! I'll have some of that! What a fabulous idea, so when the sky is grey and cloudy, we can put on a lovely sunny day instead. I can definitely see the point of window computer screens!

Hard to hide your passwords though!

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, gab, imagination not impediments. Such a gloomy outlook! Buck up, by that time they will have improved it and it will be eye, face etc.. Recognition

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with previous posters - I'm willing to bet that the iPad will be around for a long time! Of course, they will continue to update it and make it better. The Mac is still around, right? So many people out there claim that Mac (laptop or desktop) is just a more expensive version of a pc. Just like so many claimed that the iPad was a large itouch. Once you use it, you see and feel the difference. Heck, the iPad is worth it for the touch screen alone! And look how long the iPod has been considered the best of the best for a music device - even with the millions of other music devices on the market, most prefer the iPod. I don't know anyone who ever wanted a zune instead of an iPod. In my experience, (and I'm not an apple fan) apple products tend to be less buggy and more intuitive than other products. They seem to last longer when taken care of as well. My friend's iPhone 3G is still going strong and another friend's htc (which is only a year old and she babies her phone!) is on it's last leg. I've never really been an Apple fan, I never really understood why so many were obsessed until I broke down and bought the first gen iPod touch. Since then, apple devices have been my go to for portable devices...just can't bring myself to buy a MacBook when my Dell laptop works fine...but believe me, if I had the money I probably would. I've never had any hardware problems with any if my apple devices - unlike with my Dell, my toshiba, my old blackberry...

Most reactions