What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the AppleCare a waste of money?

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 will be in today or tomorrow and I'm sure they are going to ask if i want the apple care thing. Is it worth it or a waste of time. I have owned five iPhones and mainly because I broke my first three iPhone 3G, one iPhone 3GS, and I currently have the iPhone 4. Not sure if having the AppleCare would have covered any of those, but I usually don't waste my time with warranties because I don't feel like dealing with customer service and their sometimes lame answers. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

netkrazed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 will be in today or tomorrow and I'm sure they are going to ask if i want the apple care thing. Is it worth it or a waste of time. I have owned five iPhones and mainly because I broke my first three iPhone 3G, one iPhone 3GS, and I currently have the iPhone 4. Not sure if having the AppleCare would have covered any of those, but I usually don't waste my time with warranties because I don't feel like dealing with customer service and their sometimes lame answers. What do y'all think?

Ya know, you have the money... sure but if you don't and want to take chances... no.

If it was a 3000 led TV, I would get it for sure but for a 500 dollar item, I don't know.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Reaction score
It's better to have it and not need it than need it than not have it
I don't get the insurance on my phones because they send junk to replace the junk but just a battery replacement alone costs more than the Apple care

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Berghammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Applecare for iPad

Depends on how much spare cash you have. I think it's grotesquely over-priced, but have it on all my iDevices simply for the no hassle aspect in case something goes awry.

On the other hand, I've never had to use it. Apple makes pretty reliable stuff. If it doesn't fail in year one, it's unlikely to fail in year two.

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Berghammer said:
If it doesn't fail in year one, it's unlikely to fail in year two.

That being said...something new will come out by the second year and I will probably just upgrade to it. I just thought about that. Thanks

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think I will pass on it as usual.

TheeIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No insurance is worth it... Until something happens and you need

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use squaretrade warranties. Using a coupon code I was able to get a two year extended warranty with accidental breakage for my iPad for less than the AppleCare plan.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't get it either. I figure if I have problems with this iPad within the first twelve months, then I will buy it and extend it out. Otherwise, no.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

kramrengaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No insurance is worth it... Until something happens and you need

An extended warranty and insurance are two entirely different things. I carry insurance against catastrophic lose on property that I own. I never buy extended warranties on products.

Extended warranties are not a good deal financial for the purchaser, they are huge money makers for the sellers. However, for many people it is more about peace of mind than finance. If it makes you feel better to have an extended warranty then by all means buy one. Your peace of mind is worth more to you than the money. Hey, some people wear a belt and suspenders...:D

Chikubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. Personally, they're a waste of money I think. Some will argue otherwise, but I've had a wide assortment of Apple products from laptops and desktops to my iPad since '99 and not once would Applecare ever have been useful.

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like I won't be getting the apple care base on what I have read.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not have Applecare on my first IMac and after 15 months the video went black. The costs were so high that I opted for a new IMac. This time with Applecare. I now have the IMac for over 3 years and no problem.

I am still thinking about getting it for the Ipad, but not sure. Does it matter where the Ipad was purchased? I bought a US Ipad before they came out in Thailand. Can I now just go ahead and buy the Applecare here?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Fraserman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want it in case your iPad breaks due to dropping, spilling or something like that, AppleCare is a complete waste of money as it doesn't cover accidental damage. A lot people will AppleCare thinking that it will cover accidental damage and are disappointed when their iPod/iPad/iPhone breaks, find out that AppleCare won't cover the repairs and end up shelling out around $200 for the repairs. Also, if you want it just in case there's a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw, I wouldn't bother with it as Apple's design and manufacturing are both very good. The only Apple product that I've purchased which has a design flaw is my 4th generation iPod Touch (the glass of the screen sticks out a millimeter, which makes it vulnerable). Honestly, the best protection is a good case. A good case will protect your device and will cost less than AppleCare and the repair costs as well as saving you the devastation which will ensue when an unprotected Apple device becomes damaged.

Most reactions

Latest posts