What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Ipad dead?

MrSchmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, i just got this ipad for less than a month and is already having issues. First issue is that my ipad have this problem where the battery icon on the upper right hand corner shows 100% all the time. the icon stays at 100% and battery runs out at 100%. 2nd issue is when charging the ipad, it always shows very low battery indicator and that is stuck as well; it will stay at low forever and does not move. people say if your ipad is drained, it only takes 10-20min to get enough juice to power back on the ipad and in my case it takes 6+hrs for it to come back on. Now, worst issue of them all; i left my ipad charging over night and woke up to find my ipad still showing low battery indicator icon. I have troubleshot the device by holding sleep&home button for 10sec, 20sec, 1min, 2min and wont boot. unplugging and replugging didnt help also. So, is it safe to say my ipad died an early death? Guys let me know if there are any helpful troubleshooting i could do that i have missed? thanks.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sound to me like bad hardware.
I hope in your case you bought it from a known Store like an Apple store .
You need to fix/replace it there.

BTW, If you never drained your Battery completely, you should.
There is a rummer that it will reset the charge counter.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are using the iPad charger and not the USB port on your computer aren't you? The USB port will charge it slowly and the iPad won't show that it's charging. With the iPad charger it will show charging and the percentage, and it's much faster charging. If you are using the iPad charger and not an iPod or iPhone charger and it still won't charge. Take it back to apple and get an exchange. Be sure to backup everything in iTunes before you take it back to apple. It could be just a bad iPad charger if your lucky.

OP
M

MrSchmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im always charging my ipad with the apple adapter it came with. so, i managed to get my ipad to come on again with additional 1+ day of charging. I decided to do a restore and upgrade to the latest firmware to see if it fixes the issue, but problem still remains; the battery is still stay at 100% all the time, big low battery indicator still remain stuck throughout the charge. I think this is a hardware issue, because restoring and upgrading to a different firmware did not solve any of my problems with the device. I think something inside my ipad fried or bad battery inside is at the brink of its life.

Im going to take it to the apple store and see what they can do. If they determine that the ipad is actually bad, you think they will give me a new one as a replacement and not a refurbished as my device is not even at the 1 month of ownership yet and will my warranty will remain unchanged right?

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they have a refurbished iPad, that's probably what you will get, you can always ask for a new one. Apple surely has guide lines for managers to follow, but I'm sure they have some leeway in what they can do. Something you could try is to get a car charger for the iPad and see it it will charge up that way, always good to have one anyway. Though the other problems suggest a hardware problem with the iPad it's self. Sorry.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im going to take it to the apple store and see what they can do. If they determine that the ipad is actually bad, you think they will give me a new one as a replacement and not a refurbished as my device is not even at the 1 month of ownership yet and will my warranty will remain unchanged right?

Please let us know the outcome of your visit, so we can learn more for others to come and ask .

BTW - have you tried to drain the battery to the point that the iPAD dies, and then recharge it ?

OP
M

MrSchmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please let us know the outcome of your visit, so we can learn more for others to come and ask .

BTW - have you tried to drain the battery to the point that the iPAD dies, and then recharge it ?

my battery gets drained everyday thinking my ipad still have 100% charge. And no, it does not work, problem is still there.

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they have a refurbished iPad, that's probably what you will get, you can always ask for a new one. Apple surely has guide lines for managers to follow, but I'm sure they have some leeway in what they can do. Something you could try is to get a car charger for the iPad and see it it will charge up that way, always good to have one anyway. Though the other problems suggest a hardware problem with the iPad it's self. Sorry.

Unless you have personal (1st hand) experience with that, I don't think it's true at all. At least the one time we had to return an Apple product they immediately went to the back and retrieved a brand new, non-refurbished, unit which is exactly what I would expect. Of course, the first accessory I buy for any Apple product is the Apple Care.

Most reactions

Latest posts