What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is LTE Technology available in all countries ?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was wondering if the iPad-3 does come out with the LTE Technology, is it available everywhere else like outside the U.S ? Ultimately the LTE version will not be of any use for countries other then the U.S !

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LTE is currently being beta tested in London by O2. I believe LTE is aiming to become available at the end of 2012 in the UK.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There you go...It is of no use for people outside the U.S. It is not available in most of the countries as of now. Even my country there is no LTE Technology available as of now. I am just wondering will they Launch the iPad-3 minus the LTE if and when they have to release it for Non-US countries where LTE is still not in use.

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There you go...It is of no use for people outside the U.S. It is not available in most of the countries as of now. Even my country there is no LTE Technology available as of now. I am just wondering will they Launch the iPad-3 minus the LTE if and when they have to release it for Non-US countries where LTE is still not in use.

It may be of use to me as I live in London. I just need to find out how I become a beta tester! ;)

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
Just wondering: will LTE ipads support only LTE? Or is it in addition to 3G? Like the 3G ipad also supports gprs, and 3G variants like edge, etc
Or is the LTE technology so different from 3G that it can't be combined?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to my research, an iPad with LTE bought in the States will not work in any other countries due to different frequencies being used. Rumor has it that the new iPad 3 will have a 4G LTE AT&T option, a 4G LTE Verizon option, and the 3G CDMA/GSM currently used option. I had hoped for a combined LTE option, but my sources says that the separate chips make more sense at this time.

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
Ok, thanks
Combining flavours and frequencies seems to be a ok in a smartphone though. Mine will do 3g, umts, edge, etc on various bands. Works fine here (EU) and worked fine on my various trips outside the EU.
But, I can imagine it's also a nice way of (partly) controlling markets. I remember lots of people proudly showing off their iPhone 1's they brought back from the US when they weren't available here yet.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to my research, an iPad with LTE bought in the States will not work in any other countries due to different frequencies being used. Rumor has it that the new iPad 3 will have a 4G LTE AT&T option, a 4G LTE Verizon option, and the 3G CDMA/GSM currently used option. I had hoped for a combined LTE option, but my sources says that the separate chips make more sense at this time.

So you are saying the Same iPad-3 which would be released with 4G LTE in U.S will be launched with the usual 3G option in countries where LTE is still not available ?

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
looking at what's reported in the live blogs, it seems both LTE and 3G will be present in the same device.

That IMO is a good thing that they did so no seperate models for different countries if 4G LTE is available in your country use it or else use 3G no Fuss !

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I expect that in countries without 4G LTE. they will use the GSM/CMDA chip until they strike a deal with the local companies.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend in Hong Kong says there are no 3G ipads available for preorder, just wifi, and in fact gave me a link to their store and that's all that's available. He has an Ipad 2 3G and will only buy one with 3G. I noticed that even the wifi says not currently available though Hong Kong was listed as one of the "countries" that will have March 16 availability. Also their store isn't busy like US it seems. I was surprised since it took real persistence on both Ipad and PC untio I finally got an order through.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend in Hong Kong says there are no 3G ipads available for preorder, just wifi, and in fact gave me a link to their store and that's all that's available. He has an Ipad 2 3G and will only buy one with 3G. I noticed that even the wifi says not currently available though Hong Kong was listed as one of the "countries" that will have March 16 availability. Also their store isn't busy like US it seems. I was surprised since it took real persistence on both Ipad and PC untio I finally got an order through.

Can you post the link here which has the Countries Listed which will get the New iPad on March-16th !

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found an article on the 4G thing.... here

So going by this Article does it mean that countries which still do not have the LTE Technology available, like me in India where we just have 3G If I buy a At&T Netwrok Locked "New iPad" I can still use it with the 3G service provided by my Local Service Provider which happens to be Vodafone in India ?

Can a AT&T Locked Model of U.S of the new iPad be used with a 3G service of another service provider outside the U.S without any International Roaming Charges like a local connection?

Most reactions

Latest posts