What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth buying an iPad?

blackbeard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm wondering if this product is worth all the money that Apple asks for it,i don't have one,but i figured that most of you on this forum are iPad owners.Is it as useful as Apple claims it to be?Can it replace a notebook?I've recently seen one of Apple's commercials on this product,and it is presented like a future changing device,i think they exagerate i little bit(youtube.com/watch?v=uQ3zWu7z_AM).I really want to buy one so that is why i am asking for you're opinions.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
It depends on what you want to use it for. What webpages you like to browse. Do you like flash sites? If so, an Ipad may not be for you. However, imo, it DOES replace an netbook. Netbooks are useless.

It is a future changing device. look at all the companies trying to compete with other tablets of various OS's.

If your worried about space being an issue or filling up your ipad...think of it like this...

Say your going on a trip and your going to pack your suitcase...your not going to take your whole house with you, right? Only the things you need to take on your trip. The Ipad is similar. When your going somewhere, you dont want to take your whole computer with you, you want to take only the things you need to have with you, plus a few more things for entertainment purposes. You can do so many things on the ipad that a netbook cant. Netbooks are worthless. I run my own computer business and I always recommend the Ipad. Netbooks are dead, imo. They do nothing worthwhile.

If your still on the fence and can wait awhile, Ipad 2 is supposed to be announced soon, maybe wait and see what the improvements are?

Hope this helps! If you need anything, just PM me.

Happy paddin!

FreeBird

M

moparherb

Ipad

I agree with "Freebird". The I-pad is a future changing device. I'm a retired individual who has used computers at home and in business for years, but nothing has impressed me as much as this device. I use it for all my web browsing. Not much need for my P/C. From anywhere I can connect to my home P/C using an app. So should I need something on my home computer I can get it almost anywhere. Most younger folks use it for music and videos. It is great for that but kind of pricey if that's all your after. I grocery shop with mine, log my R/C airplane and heli flights with it and download e-mail from almost everywhere I go. This device has changed the way I'm enjoying my retirement. I take mine everywhere. Hope this helps.

Grumbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad a long time ago and I'm certainly still happy. My friend has just asked the same question but he didn't listen to my advice:

"WAIT FOR THE iPAD 2!" ... Of course he didn't and went and bought the top end iPad that is currently available. It's literally only a few months now (apparently) for the iPad 2 release - at least wait and see what the specs are (as mentioned above). If the iPad 2 isn't any good then I'm sure the mere fact that it's been announce will drop the price of the old iPad.

Good luck!

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
However, imo, it DOES replace an netbook. Netbooks are useless...

It is a future changing device. look at all the companies trying to compete with other tablets of various OS's...

If your worried about space being an issue or filling up your ipad...think of it like this...

You can do so many things on the ipad that a netbook cant...
Netbooks are worthless... Netbooks are dead, imo. They do nothing worthwhile...
FreeBird

I have to disagree. The netbook will be dead when an iPad or similar tablet can do what a real computer can do and be as useful as a real computer can be.

The list of things that a netbook can do that the iPad can't is much longer than the other way 'round. For me, the iPad's only real advantages are that I can write/draw on the screen, its instant-on capability and its excellence as an ereader (barring its weight).

As for replacing your netbook? Well, if your netbook is your only real computer, no way. The iPad is NOT designed to work on its own; you have to use it in conjunction with a real computer.

As freebird said, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love reading through these posts! I've been on the fence for a while trying to decide if I should buy an iPad. I'm a tech junkie but actually a blackberry lover (sorry), with Verizon. I've been holding out for the reviews from CES for the playbook and to see if more accurate specs on the iPad 2 will be announced.

I keep telling myself I can last a couple more months but it's SO HARD! I work from home and have a desktop, laptop and netbook, but I'm looking for something that is a little more mobile and easy to carry all the time. I have my iPod 4 but it's such a little screen.

As much as I'm a blackberry lover, I'm still swaying towards the iPad and after reading through all the posts here it convinces me more that iPad would be an excellent fit for what I'm looking for. Just hoping the price for the iPad 2 isn't going to be a killer after waiting all this time!

JJ

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am amazed at the number of people who see me with my iPad at work and say " oh, cool...an iPad...I really want one!". My response is "No you don't...you think you want one.". The advertising is very powerful.

yesterday I was chatting with an employee who is rewriting my catalog. She made some changes I did not agree with. We were standing in the hallway by the copier. I opened the iPad to show her the change I disagreed with. It is a 36 page word document with table of contents and a few small photos. Headings and formatting typical of a catalog with a table of contents. Nothing miraculous. After opening it she was getting rather impressed. When I scanned to the second to last page to show her the change I had an issue with it closed on me. And I said to her "Revolutionary my ass!"

just sayin.

I like my iPad. Don't get me wrong. But it is nothing more than a fancy browser. I can get my calendar, email and misc documents as I walk around the building. I can take notes in meetings. It is nice. But is it worth 800 bucks? No. I would not have one if it was not given to me. Ironically, she used my money to pay for it...but I want her to feel good about Christmas so I would never say anything to her about it. She was going to spend 800 bucks on something I don't need...may as well be an iPad. Lol.

As I said...I like it. In my opine...it's worth about 200 bucks. That's an arbitrary value I place on it based on what it does for me. I don't watch movies on airplanes. Don't listen to music unless I am near my stereo. So I can't add up the value of those devices and inflate the value of this device. I have a laptop and while it is too big to carry around work with me all day, it works fine for browsing while I am on the sofa. It really is like carry a note pad around at work for me...I like that I instantly have access to my email and documents no matter which office I am in. But that is not worth 800 bucks to me.

We all have opinions. This is mine.

Nate

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember .
It cost 3 time the price of a regular Computer.
It is luxuries
It is a great professional "Gadget"

You buy now only if you have extra money to spend.
And...
It cost closed to a smart phone that you replace every year.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember .
It cost 3 time the price of a regular Computer.
It is luxuries
It is a great professional "Gadget"

You buy now only if you have extra money to spend.
And...
It cost closed to a smart phone that you replace every year.

Are you sure? I just bought a new HP for $449 with a free 23" HD monitor.

And laptops we were pricing out were 550-800 range.. That of an iPad.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am amazed at the number of people who see me with my iPad at work and say " oh, cool...an iPad...I really want one!". My response is "No you don't...you think you want one.". The advertising is very powerful.

yesterday I was chatting with an employee who is rewriting my catalog. She made some changes I did not agree with. We were standing in the hallway by the copier. I opened the iPad to show her the change I disagreed with. It is a 36 page word document with table of contents and a few small photos. Headings and formatting typical of a catalog with a table of contents. Nothing miraculous. After opening it she was getting rather impressed. When I scanned to the second to last page to show her the change I had an issue with it closed on me. And I said to her "Revolutionary my ass!"

just sayin.

I like my iPad. Don't get me wrong. But it is nothing more than a fancy browser. I can get my calendar, email and misc documents as I walk around the building. I can take notes in meetings. It is nice. But is it worth 800 bucks? No. I would not have one if it was not given to me. Ironically, she used my money to pay for it...but I want her to feel good about Christmas so I would never say anything to her about it. She was going to spend 800 bucks on something I don't need...may as well be an iPad. Lol.

As I said...I like it. In my opine...it's worth about 200 bucks. That's an arbitrary value I place on it based on what it does for me. I don't watch movies on airplanes. Don't listen to music unless I am near my stereo. So I can't add up the value of those devices and inflate the value of this device. I have a laptop and while it is too big to carry around work with me all day, it works fine for browsing while I am on the sofa. It really is like carry a note pad around at work for me...I like that I instantly have access to my email and documents no matter which office I am in. But that is not worth 800 bucks to me.

Nate

You sound like a horrible person

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

just sayin.

Nate

You sound like a horrible person

Are you serious right now? Why would you say something like that? This is his opinion, and he is discussing it respectfully and I think he is rather sweet.
:)
I think you owe Nate an apology. What is wrong with you?

Most reactions

Latest posts