What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it really worth it?

Is Jail Breaking worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

Ender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, so I got a nice 64gb Wifi iPad and I'm looking into Jailbreaking. I've been doing some research, and I have found a few somewhat scary stories relating to bricked iPads (google Bricked IPad) So I am here asking an important question: is it really worth putting $700 at risk? I know it adds a lot of good features, but doesn't it also wear down the battery too?

This is step one in getting my iPad ready for the upcoming release of Android for OpeniBoot, so I am gearing up for this.

Any and all posts will realllyyyy help. I want EVERYONES opinion if they can help it. I am definitely jail breaking this first gen iPod touch I found.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There really is no such thing as a "bricked" device....it can always be restored if you know the process. As far as is it worth it....well it slows IOS.... It really bugs me waiting that extra 3 seconds to load an app...so i always end up back stock. So the determining factor....an app you can't live without,you don't care about speed...its up to you! But my vote is no...it even slows the iPhone4 and it is loaded with 512mb Ram.....:)

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As someone that has a JB'd iPad, I really don't see that much difference between stock and JB'd. As for putting the Android OS on it, WHY, it will already be JB'd, and you can do almost anything you want with it, except Flash. If your putting Android on it to get and use Flash on it, it will kill you battery very fast. Flash is very CPU intensive and power hungry, not too mention, very buggy. Flash on a desktop is fine. Not on a portable, iPad or mobile phone.

irishpride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As someone that has a JB'd iPad, I really don't see that much difference between stock and JB'd. As for putting the Android OS on it, WHY, it will already be JB'd, and you can do almost anything you want with it, except Flash. If your putting Android on it to get and use Flash on it, it will kill you battery very fast. Flash is very CPU intensive and power hungry, not too mention, very buggy. Flash on a desktop is fine. Not on a portable, iPad or mobile phone.

I just got an ipad the other day and the first thing I did was jailbreak it. The next thing I did was install Frash and it works great, battery life seems great. As for someone porting Android to the ipad, I think it would be great. One of the reasons I got the ipad instead of one of the upcoming Android tablets was because of the build quality. I use Android phones and it is a great OS, I love having widgets on my homescreen, I would really like to have the opportunity to dual boot with ios, they each have their advantages and there is nothing wrong with having choices.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only time I have noticed slowdowns with jailbroken devices is when I either have a bunch of fancy springboard applets running or too many programs in the background. With just a jailbreak I have not seen this three second delay on my iPad or my 2nd generation Ipod Touch.

I say the jailbreak is more than worth it if it gives you some wanted/needed functionality that the stock firmware doesn't.

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wait, there's Frash for iPad? where? i tried installing it but cydia wouldn't let me

OP
Ender

Ender

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There is an app out there for the iPAd that streams Flash video (doesn't play it on the iPad, but STREAMS it from converting servers) that takes just as much battery life as serfing youtube. Its called Skyfire. I posted something about it at Morleyz: SkyFire App for iPhone (sorry, its poorly written and not very informative)

AND I want Android because it runs clean and efficient. Plus its just plain fun to show off how I can do android, linux and iOS

Just thought I'd point it out. :)

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They don't "brick" their device. People use that term for anything and everything. A true "bricked" device is ruined beyond repair/unusable. People claim they "bricked" their device because they don't know how to do a reset or restore. Then it scares others who don't understand it either. Read, Google and Bing. Jailbreaking is only a software program, you can restore back to factory at any time. As many times as you want. In order to "brick" it you'd have to hit it with a hammer.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There really is no such thing as a "bricked" device....it can always be restored if you know the process. As far as is it worth it....well it slows IOS.... It really bugs me waiting that extra 3 seconds to load an app...so i always end up back stock. So the determining factor....an app you can't live without,you don't care about speed...its up to you! But my vote is no...it even slows the iPhone4 and it is loaded with 512mb Ram.....:)
The delays are not due to jailbreaking. Simply unlocking the file system slows nothing down.

It's apps that are installed that can have an effect.... though I'd say you really must have gone awry to be seeing a 3 second delay. My iPhone 4 has quite a few of jb apps, that hook into the core OS, and it is not slow.

What I DON'T do is install Winterboard or other theming crap. I could probably do that if I only wanted to theme. But to do that and install a bunch of apps will slow things down. But it's not jailbreaking that did it... it's the fault of the user who installed all that stuff.

All that said jailbreaking 3.2.2 is not worth it to me when I am running 4.2 GM. Most everything I would be jailbreaking for I already have in 4.2--though I sorely miss SBSettings and a few other tools.

Michael

OP
Ender

Ender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They don't "brick" their device. People use that term for anything and everything. A true "bricked" device is ruined beyond repair/unusable. People claim they "bricked" their device because they don't know how to do a reset or restore. Then it scares others who don't understand it either. Read, Google and Bing. Jailbreaking is only a software program, you can restore back to factory at any time. As many times as you want. In order to "brick" it you'd have to hit it with a hammer.

Haha thanks. Reassures me a bit. :D

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I first jailbroke my IPAD and enjoyed the ability to load and transfer my images from digital camera memory cards to the IPAD and to another card for redundancy. Then I found the background app so I could leave a program open while I did something else. Then I discovered MyWifi and jailbroke my iPhone4 and was able to drop my monthly 3G fee for the IPAD.

I purchased a high power IPAD charger (with two outlets) for my car . Yesterday taking a trip cross country I had both units plugged into the power plug in the dash and we could surf on the IPAD using my iPhone which had unlimited internet access. A year's fees for internet access for the IPAD mounts up.

I've had no problems to date with either unit. Mt first unit suffered a blue screen problem. I restored it to original 'new' condition and when I took it into Apple for repair they discovered nothing abnormal. The first unit had, indeed, broken and was replaced on the spot.

kenney20k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, i have and it has not "bricked". I have installed probably a hundred different add-on's. I think you should jailbreak it. It gives you millions of different options, but I do advise to download from *** REMOVED REFERENCE TO ILLEGAL SOURCE ***

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot brick an idevice with software, jail breaking is exactly that! Freeing your device from a prison like state/environment!

Last edited:

Most reactions