What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to do video calls on iPad 2 to pc?

obi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to do video calls on iPad 2 to pc ? If so what app / software would I need. I'm going away soon and I really want to get this sorted out so I can chat and see the family on my iPad while I'm away.

Many thanks
Obi

Eddieboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to Skype. Its the only app I know that you can use video calling on, I use it on my iphone 4 sometimes.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I'm logged into skype literally 24/7 on my iPad, and video connected to clients and head office for at least 5 hours every day. It's great as you can still chat to your recipient with it whilst it's running in the background whilst other apps are running on top :)

OP
O

obi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys so your saying the iPhone app for Skype will do the trick on the iPad ?

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys so your saying the iPhone app for Skype will do the trick on the iPad ?

It will, but because the iPhone screen is much smaller, Skype will appear much smaller on the iPad screen. There is a 2x icon you can select, but the image is somewhat distorted when it fills the iPad screen.

PS. Hopefully one day soon there will be a dedicated app for the iPad. Since the launch of the iPad2, which includes the camera (webcam), an app must be in the works.

Last edited:

immtbiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do people on both sides if the conversation need to have Facetime? Or can the other person, if they don't have an iPad, use Skype on a computer while you use Facetime?

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, both need FaceTime. If your conversation is with you and a PC you need Skype. I have to admit though, Skype is not great on the iPad. The video is quite distorted and I found FaceTime to be much more reliable and clear. But FaceTime is an apple app, so is you conversation is with a PC, than Skype is the way to go.

OP
O

obi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the help peoples, I set up Skype on both (ipad & wifes pc) last night it's all good!... I agree tho that a dedicated iPad app for Skype would be pretty cool.

Anyways all sorted so cheers.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
No reason why not. Most peeps are convinced that now MS own skype the Apple app will be a non starter. That's contradictory to what MS said when they acquired Skype. They said they'd continue to closely support and invest in Skype on all non Microsoft platforms.

TravsiPhoneHelp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cam use oovoo it is a universal video client it works with android iPhone iPad iPod touch pc Mac and Linux

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Is oovoo cross app? Does it allow you to chat with skype contacts or Facebook contacts? Or is it only oovoo to oovoo contact? Because if it is I wager that more than likely 0 % of your friends will have it installed.

bristolian12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yahoo Messenger

The latest version of Yahoo messenger gives you iPad2 to PC video calling. Plus you can swtich from the front to rear camera as you can in facetime.

Also I found that the picture quality using messenger was far better than skype when chatting to UK

Ipadgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download Vtok and you can video chat with gmail users on a PC.

Most reactions

Latest posts