What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is getting a 3G Ipad worth it?

Foreverrr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an iPad soon and was wondering if buying the 3G Version was actually worth it, because don't you have to spend a certain amount of money a month in order to access a carriers 3G Network?

I was thinking about getting the 32gb 3G iPad, but if the 3G one requires me to pay more every month after purchasing the actual iPad, wouldn't it be smarter to buy the 64GB Ipad without 3G for just about the same price?

Thanks for your help

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion the iPad plans are expensive..... Most anyplace I go has wifi.. Home,work,the parents,starbucks,hotels. So i just sprung for the wifi model. Now if your on the go and need to work such as in the car,train,fieldwork.... Pay the extra so it will be useful to you!

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64Gb Wifi. I have a MiFi device for times when there is no wifi. Almost never have to use while in my home state..use it a lot when traveling.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an iPad soon and was wondering if buying the 3G Version was actually worth it, because don't you have to spend a certain amount of money a month in order to access a carriers 3G Network?

It's a simple question - do you have ready access to the internet everywhere you go? If yes, skip the service and get more storage or save the bucks. If no, plan on shelling out $15/month, $180/year, etc.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G plans are reasonable and you only have to buy what you need. If you only are away from wifi for a few weeks out of the years, the need may not be great for you. With the 3G iPad, you have the ability to use your internet and mail anywhere. You also have true GPS. Not everyone needs or want these features. I could not function without them. I think that you would also find that to use a mifi setup would not be all that great. It is another device to carry, you still have a service payment, and usually a 2-year contract. You also have a lot shorter battery life with mifi.

There are just a lot of factors that are individual to you. For example, if you are in the mountains of Colorado, there are numerous times that cell phones will not work. But you can be in eastern Colorado and western Kansas and rarely miss a beat. If there is no good Verizon service, you would not consider it. Same if AT&T service was bad in your area.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasnt going to do the Mifi thing but I ended up with the Virgin Mobile one. It's prepaid..they have a plan that's $10 for 10 days..which works for me fine. May not be the best choice for everyone-plus you can use with an ipod Touch, netbooks etc.

MayaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got 3G to expand my options. The first couple of months I used it a lot. This month I decided to see what life was like with wifi only. So far I've noticed that I don't carry the Ipad as often when I'm out and about and that I tend to play with my phone more since it's always with me.

Jdm2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Palm Pre Verizon phone with free hot spot. As long as I got a good signal, my iPad is as fast as it is on Wi Fi. I get wifi about everywhere. So I rarely use the3g, but it's sure handy when I need it.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked up that Virgin Mobile Mifi and it looks like it would be great. You can turn it on monthly or 10 days and then turn it off. Sounds very familiar doesn't it???? That is what our plans were suppose to be like on the iPad when we bought them. It supports up to 5 devices so it would be better than hacking your cell phone to put out a wifi signal. I have done that with my Palm Pre and it has a tendency to bog down when more than one thing connects to it at the same time.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You tend to forget one very important thing. Only the 3G has a GPS build in. You never know for now what kind of application are going to pop up in the future for GPS and 3G.
By the way I got from my provider (In Israel) a second Micro-SIM with the same number as my phone, so I am using (sharing) my 3G access account of my phone together with my iPAD (about $15 for 2 Giga Byte) .
Bootom Line - Take the 3G.

Last edited:

Lgchris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G version also has the gps chip in it for navigation. I use mine all the time on the road.

tigerkraw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We will be getting our first Ipad in December with 3G
We wanted GPS with our Ipad, and even though we may only use 3g a few hours each month. it will cost us $20 a month prepaid, no fixed contract, so if needed we can quit our 3G provider and just go wireless any time we want.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I was thinking about getting the 32gb 3G iPad, but if the 3G one requires me to pay more every month after purchasing the actual iPad, wouldn't it be smarter to buy the 64GB Ipad without 3G for just about the same price?

Thanks for your help

My objection is, why should I pay for a second HSPDA/GPRS account when I already have one?

My solution, at the moment at least, is to use WMWiFiRouter to connect my iPad to 3G when I need it, via my existing Mobile Phone. It seems to work quite well.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose it's up to your needs. Where I live, work and play, I am surrounded by so much free Wifi that I've never missed not having the 3G model. (Don't need GPS either since the car already has one built-in.)

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the Wifi only model and it does great for all my personal needs when iam traveling or staying in the city ..but it up to you if you want to have it ..

Most reactions

Latest posts