What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Factory Warranty Good Enough?

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I probably should have looked, but doesn't the iPad come with a 1-year repair/replacement warrantee like the iPhones? If not, will you have the option to extend it later if desired?

These guys talking about dropping things... screens cracking... etc... :eek:

It's making me nervous... :(

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It comes with the standard 1 yr warranty but won't cover accidents or water damage. I have a 3 and 1 1/2 yr olds at home so I got the squaretrade insurance for 3 yrs just in case.

Last edited:

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had an Apple product that required service within any of the warranty periods, basic or extended.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll add it to my rider policy through my insurance company that covers all my electronics (laptops, SLR camera, lenses, etc...) for just a few bucks a month with no deductible. It covers theft, accidental damage, etc...

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had an Apple product that required service within any of the warranty periods, basic or extended.
The mute switch on the side of my original iPhone went bad under warranty and Apple replaced it. My mom has had warranty work done on her MacBook and a buddy had out-of-warranty work done on his MacBook Pro. We are all extremely satisfied with the service we received. It is one of the reasons I will pre-order a 1st generation Apple product like the iPad.

If anyone needs something beyond the standard warranty, I recommend you look at insuring with SquareTrade. There prices are very reasonable and they cover accidental damage (Apple's does not).

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just canceled Apple Product Care and got insured with SquareTrade. Just the fact that SquareTrade covers accidental damage made it a no brainer for me.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just canceled Apple Product Care and got insured with SquareTrade. Just the fact that SquareTrade covers accidental damage made it a no brainer for me.

So how do they identify your unit.. they dont ask for serial numbers.. I can see them getting scammed or them scamming us.. does anyone have any real life experience with SquareTrade?

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be interested in any experiences anyone has had with squaretrade as well. As a rule, I don't buy extended warranties and (knock wood) I haven't needed it so far. I may consider buying AppleCare for my iPad at some point before the initial warranty expires, but it all depends on whether I think I'll be upgrading at some point in the second year anyway. Death of the battery is my biggest concern, but since the after warranty battery replacement would cost the same as buying apple care and apple care wouldn't cover accidental damage any way, I don't think I'll bother with it. Damage protection on the other hand, might make sense. I'll have to look into how much it costs.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Niece got insured with SquaredTrade and seems to be happy with them. I don't generally bother with extended warranties, but this is a device I'm going to travel with, and I can see the big 9.7 inch screen getting damaged at some point. I ordered the iPad 64GB 3G ($829) ; I'll sleep better at night knowing I insured it from my own clumsiness.

Last edited:

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
+1, I've always been lucky with Apple products as well. I was afraid to reply because I may jinx myself for the iPad.

lv2rad8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Square Trade

I got my warranty today through ST. I found a promo code and got $40 off the 3 yr policy. $129.00 for 3 yrs that covers all... including drops and spills. If they cannot fix it in 5 days after they receive item, you get your $829 back. I still got the Apple Care to cover any technical issues, because if i remember right from calling about a tech issue with my iphone, you only have 90 days of free phone support. With the Apple Care that goes to 2 yrs. Like the idea of being able to call with a tech issue and not have to pay for it.

Promo code is PICKEM good until 3/31/10
30% off up to $40.00

Aegis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a search on ST and you will find that they have quite a few complaints. Tipically after market warranties are not worth it.

iRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts