What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is extended apple care worth it??

jrp95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.freethegadget.com
I have had my iPad 2 for under 3 months but soon my complementary apple care will run out. Should I buy the two year extension?? Is it worth the cost? I know it is a safe move but I don't really think it is worth it. Thanks!:confused:

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 for under 3 months but soon my complementary apple care will run out. Should I buy the two year extension?? Is it worth the cost? I know it is a safe move but I don't really think it is worth it. Thanks!:confused:

I rarely buy extended care warranties, but I did in the case of the iPad. I had a problem with my iPad near the end of the initial warranty period, and could not quite find the answer in the various support forums (and I did not know about this site at the time). The Apple rep had the right answer. I figured that I would be willing to pay to hopefully save time in getting to an answer quickly, if necessary

Also, I had bought a first gen iPad. I figured there was a chance that it was more likely that issues would arise that no one yet had a clear answer to. So far, this has not been a big issue.

I figured that since I had paid a good bit of money for the iPad, it would be worth it to have the longer coverage.

Finally, I figured that there would be a good chance that I would hang onto my iPad until at least a third generation device became available, and so I again thought longer coverage would be good.

Anyway, these are the major considerations I thought about in making my decision.

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO i think its worth it in the long run.

I agree. You never know what could happen down the road, especially with electronic gadgets. I don't like having to fork out money for warranties, but they can save you big time. I have a home warranty program that I pay monthly. If I add up all what I would have spent on home and appliance repairs, over the last two years if I didn't have home warranty . . . well you know what I mean. Considering the cost of these iPads, the Apples Care program is deffinately worth it.

jimmy4fingers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't waste your money get the zagg warranty it covers breakage and accidental seriously the best warranty out there !

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I havnt gotten one and I bought my iPad not to long ago. I think I might fork out the $79 for 2 years. But than again I do 'baby' my ipad so I dont know if it would be worth it.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I havnt gotten one and I bought my iPad not to long ago. I think I might fork out the $79 for 2 years. But than again I do 'baby' my ipad so I dont know if it would be worth it.

One other consideration. Some people mainly use their iPads at home and around the house. I take mine with me on a daily commute on trains and buses. I have seen people dangle and drop their laptops. I've seen laptops drop out of backpacks. I am careful, but I realize that portability entails some extra risk.

And so I wanted to offset that extra risk with the longer warranty. But of course, your mileage may vary.

DICKNPHYL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOok at this way , can you work on the electronics of it. for. $79.00 for 2 years and pretty much full coverage it figures out to be $40.00 per yr.or $3.36 per mo. Your initial cost depending on model $500.00. The ratio is pretty good on replacement, etc.
Dickster------

Reaction score
If your battery were to wear out it is $100 to replace once out of warranty. With most batteries made in China these days I found it worth it for the battery alone. I can call and bug the Apple folks as often as I want for the next 2 years as well
I normally don't buy EWs either.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

sky2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, maybe you are right, but let me tell you about myself, I have been working with IT hardware and software companies for almost 16 years, vendors I mean, the trick is not about fixing a problem, that easy, always there are ways to figure out the solution , this why we are here in this form, technology is moving very fast and rare of us keep a device for more than one year I guess, companies create always revenue from us, because they are launching new product with new updates, like ipad2 with camera and speed and etc,
Since warranty and Apple care or any vendor can't offer replacement for a device when is broken or damage then there are no reason to buy any extra warranty , simply if any thing happen to my device I can go and restore it back as if I am having new unit, this we call it sell up and let the fool pay,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, maybe you are right, but let me tell you about myself, I have been working with IT hardware and software companies for almost 16 years, vendors I mean, the trick is not about fixing a problem, that easy, always there are ways to figure out the solution , this why we are here in this form, technology is moving very fast and rare of us keep a device for more than one year I guess, companies create always revenue from us, because they are launching new product with new updates, like ipad2 with camera and speed and etc,
Since warranty and Apple care or any vendor can't offer replacement for a device when is broken or damage then there are no reason to buy any extra warranty , simply if any thing happen to my device I can go and restore it back as if I am having new unit, this we call it sell up and let the fool pay,

I'd buy AppleCare if it were cheaper, just so I could call if I needed help on something I couldn't figure out. Thing is, I doubt I'd call much, and the AppleCare help (free during first 90 days) I've received has been mixed. The steps they've offered were things I'd already tried, and the only suggestion was to restore, which I'd been trying to avoid anyway.

I also have been buying new iDevices frequently enough that I can call using my free 90 days for the older devices, too. They ask for your serial number, but I could have the same hangup on iPad 1 or 2, touch or iPhone, and they'd probably offer very similar, if not the same, advice.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure if AppleCare extends both the telephone support *and* the hardware protection for the extra year. The following link implies that hardware is also covered:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

However, this following link doesn't make it really clear and, to the contrary, the extension of "complementary support" seems to be limited to telephone support only.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Does any one know what the "many benefits" refers to in the following sentence taken from the link above?

"Your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage starts from your hardware purchase date. Registering your AppleCare Protection Plan at a later date does not extend your coverage. In fact, there are many benefits to registering your AppleCare Protection Plan as soon as you purchase it."

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The link you pasted makes clear that you get two years on hardware and phone service if you buy AppleCare. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. If you're not sure, call Apple and they'll be happy to tell you, so they can try to sell it to you.

In case you're still not sure: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC595

I'm not sure if AppleCare extends both the telephone support *and* the hardware protection for the extra year. The following link implies that hardware is also covered:

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPad

However, this following link doesn't make it really clear and, to the contrary, the extension of "complementary support" seems to be limited to telephone support only.

Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQ

Does any one know what the "many benefits" refers to in the following sentence taken from the link above?

"Your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage starts from your hardware purchase date. Registering your AppleCare Protection Plan at a later date does not extend your coverage. In fact, there are many benefits to registering your AppleCare Protection Plan as soon as you purchase it."

Most reactions

Latest posts