What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a wireless keyboard worth getting?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I too would love one, but I love the touch screen keyboard as well and I know i'd never use it. I really do like the iPad as a truly stand alone device (even mo so with iOS 5 soon)

If it's that much of a pain to use the touch keypad then definitely buy one. Just like using a normal conventional keyboard.
It really is your choice and life style choice

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard. It's about $33 from Amazon. Works beautifully. Ergonomically curved. Easy to transport. Its keys are very close to full size and the action is excellent. I've used mine for a couple of years with my laptop and it works quite well with the iPad. Also very durable. I've traveled with mine in a laptop bag for several hundred thousand miles.

Only disadvantage compared to the Apple Wireless Keyboard is that it cannot be used with Origami Workstation that holds the keyboard and functions as a stand, as well.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-2XJ-00001-Bluetooth-Keyboard-6000/dp/B004HVW0ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313874305&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000: Electronics[/ame]

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the targus bluetooth keyboard for iPad. When not in use with my iPad, I use it on my Mac mini. Full size keys at a very portable size for around $60

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Lancaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a folding iGo Stowaway keyboard but those are no longer made and sell used for a pretty hefty premium . Highly recommended and I don't understand why they aren't made anymore.

But, if you have the camera connection kit then most USB keyboards will plug in and work.

I have also used a Logitech wireless keyboard hooked up the same way.

But clearly, dragging a full size keyboard around is not fun.

However, if you do any kind of writing beyond one or two line emails on the touch keyscreen then a BT keyboard makes a lot of sense.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, this is an oft asked request and a search will provide you w/ plenty of information and advice - just a suggestion - :)

But if you plan to do a LOT of typing on the iPad and want quick entry, then a BT (i.e. Bluetooth) keyboard is highly recommended IMHO - I own the Apple 'full' KB which types beautifully (the smaller options may be an issue - so you might want to try a few at an Apple Store).

So, if you're not doing a bunch of data entry or word processing, then the 'virtual' KB may be fine but consider your needs (now & in the future) - good luck in your choice - :D

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Really? I'm skeptical. Perhaps I'm confused but I didn't think the camera connection kit provides that functionality. Not dissing you, but are you sure?

He is correct. Just a pain to lug them around

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the targus bluetooth keyboard for iPad. When not in use with my iPad, I use it on my Mac mini. Full size keys at a very portable size for around $60

If I'm not mistaken this is a relatively new product. At least I only recently became aware of it. It looks like a very good option from the specs (Scissor technology for the keys is always a good sign.) And unlike even the Apple Wireless Keyboard, it supports iPad specific keys like "Home."

And best of all, it's only $44 from Amazon. If I were in the market I might well take a look at it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-AKB32US/dp/B004IZN3WU]Amazon.com: Targus Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi and WiFi + 3G, iPad 2 with Smart Keys AKB32US (Black): Electronics[/ame]

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
If I'm not mistaken this is a relatively new product. At least I only recently became aware of it. It looks like a very good option from the specs (Scissor technology for the keys is always a good sign.) And unlike even the Apple Wireless Keyboard, it supports iPad specific keys like "Home."

And best of all, it's only $44 from Amazon. If I were in the market I might well take a look at it.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-AKB32US/dp/B004IZN3WU

That's the one. Some of the keys are compatible with osx features also. Best part is it goes in standby mode when not In use. 1 button click to turn it back on and reconnect it

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Really? I'm skeptical. Perhaps I'm confused but I didn't think the camera connection kit provides that functionality. Not dissing you, but are you sure?

He is correct. Just a pain to lug them around

OK. Well, that's why I come by this board. Might give it a try with my Logitech full size keyboard. I'm still skeptical that the keyboard illumination will work (since the keyboard is powered from the usb port.) And taking up the 30pin connector means one can't charge the iPad and type at the same time. Still, it's an interesting option if you have a usb keyboard you like.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
OK. Well, that's why I come by this board. Might give it a try with my Logitech full size keyboard. I'm still skeptical that the keyboard illumination will work (since the keyboard is powered from the usb port.) And taking up the 30pin connector means one can't charge the iPad and type at the same time. Still, it's an interesting option if you have a usb keyboard you like.

Should work depending on how much power it needs. Just try it. Nothing bad will happen to iPad if it doesn't work

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But, if you have the camera connection kit then most USB keyboards will plug in and work.

Well, there seems to be some confusion regarding the CCK (i.e. Camera Connection Kit) in providing a USB choice other that connection to a digital camera.

I agree w/ the statement quoted in bold above (my addition) - the CCK does NOT provide a general USB connection that will accommodate other than connection directly to a digital camera - USB drives, keyboards, flash drives just will not work w/ this connection.

Thus, if one desires a keyboard for the iPad, then a BT (Bluetooth) option is your only choice at present - and there are plenty of options - NOW, I'll stand to be corrected but that is my current understanding (at least until the next update of the iPad and/or iOS - ;)) - :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, there seems to be some confusion regarding the CCK (i.e. Camera Connection Kit) in providing a USB choice other that connection to a digital camera.

I agree w/ the statement quoted in bold above (my addition) - the CCK does NOT provide a general USB connection that will accommodate other than connection directly to a digital camera - USB drives, keyboards, flash drives just will not work w/ this connection.

Thus, if one desires a keyboard for the iPad, then a BT (Bluetooth) option is your only choice at present - and there are plenty of options - NOW, I'll stand to be corrected but that is my current understanding (at least until the next update of the iPad and/or iOS - ;)) - :)

Ah, love it when an empirical test can actually resolve an issue! I'll try my Logitech USB keyboard. Stay tuned.

Most reactions

Latest posts