What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iRig and the iPad: Neat device!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Hi folks,

Got my hands on an iRig device so I could plugin my electric guitar. It's pretty neat and with Garageband, you almost have unlimited options as GB has many simulated amps in there. I did tried some other apps but I must say that GarageBand is the best for that device.

Basically, iRig is just an adaptor to connect your 1/4 plug into the 1/8 socket hole of the iPad. To hear what ever you play, you must use headphones since plugging an external device is considered as using the usual headphones. I was a bit disappointed to discover that is it impossible to AirPlay the output to your AppleTV as I was considering using it as my amps thru the TV sound system. In GarageBand for example, when you activate AirPlay, you get a warning that "Input" will be disabled while outputting sound to the AirPlay device. A small annoyance but it would have been fun.

Otherwise, this is a great way to play some electric guitar without disturbing the neighborhood, at least, if you do not sing at the same time...

Happy solo!

VicoPad addict!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the first things I bought BEFORE I received my iPad (I ordered it at the same time I ordered my iPad). This was the main reason I bought my iPad...to record music directly to it...much easier than using my Fast Track Pro into my PC! GarageBand is nice and great for practice. But I like the flexibility of Amplitub & JamUp Pro...more features & I like the tones a bit better.

Avcommtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see the potential in the iPad to record due to portability etc I use it exclusively for capturing ideas and creating demo's. I then use record the idea at my studio using Pro Tools. I can't describe the feeling to be able to capture musings, doodles, lyric ideas, riffs etc in one device when only 2 months ago I was still using my old 4 track and pen and paper.
I reckon the iPad will eventually become powerful enough to run Pro Tools and I don't mean LE version within the next few years.

Most reactions