What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad’s Lead Continues to Grow, as Other Tablets Falter

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Chitika_March_2013_tablet.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on new figures from Chitika that show that Apple’s iPad has just seen its first increase in web traffic since last December, with iPads now making up 81.9% of US and Canadian tablet web traffic. This reverses the trend show in February’s figures from Chitika, whereby the iPad’s web traffic share had a small drop, from 81% to 80.5%. Also back in February, Amazon’s Kindle Fire, Samsung’s Galaxy Tab, Google’s Nexus and Microsoft’s Surface tablet all showed small increases in web traffic for the December through to February period, leading some commentators at the time to venture that the tablet market could be becoming more competitive. These latest figures, however, have overturned that trend, and Chitika says that Amazon, Samsung, Google and Microsoft are all either flat or dropping, when compared to figures from the previous month. In fact, AppleInsider notes that Apple’s iPad’s lead grew by more than the Surface, Xoom, Nexus, Kindle Fire and all of the Galaxy tablets together. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Apple's iPad expands lead in tablet use at the expense of Amazon, Android, Microsoft Surface

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No surprise here at all. Apple just seems to far ahead when it comes to tablets. Not so much with phones, but with tablets it doesn't even seem close. I was never an apple guy but I won't even consider any other kind of tablet when I'm ready to upgrade. The iPad is just a few features away from the perfect tablet. It's close now....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To me, the Samsung tablets are pricey for what you get...but the Nexus 10 is a good tablet...but I should not recommend it because compared to iPad, the tablet apps on Android are all but nonexistent. To me, it's the apps that make the tablet. I think the same is true in the phone space and that's a large part of why Apple can't dominate that space (which is a good thing). The other factor is the phone space just moves so fast and if you only release one phone per year, there is no way you are going to rule the roost, more so when there are plenty of apps for your competition to have put on their devices.

Even though I have a beef with HTC, that new superphone of theirs might draw me off to a new phone come October (a new phone that I don't really need, btw).

My real problem is what to do with iPad. Get the iPad 5 full-sized or the mini 2? That is going to be a hard one there. I don't see myself getting another android tablet any time in this decade. :)

BTW, I hope Apple never changes the screen shape on the iPads. 4:3 works very well with photography.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTW, I hope Apple never changes the screen shape on the iPads. 4:3 works very well with photography.

This quote right here sums up my feelings on the screen. Do NOT go to 16:9. Just don't do it. Th iPad just works better in 4:3 mode!

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a android tablet ands its going on ebay its a buggy os and there are no good aps for it.
Thats why iam going to ipad ios is better ifs its closed less crapy apps

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this point, I own more Android tabs than I do iPads, but I do about 90 percent of my browsing on iPads.

I have three 7" tabs on which I do no browsing, because I use them only for books, movies and audiobooks. When I Web browse, I generally prefer a full-size tablet. The exceptions are when I'm on the go and am just carrying my 5" android phablet, in which case I'm usually just looking up something on the fly. In those cases, my browsing is limited, because I find my answer and I'm done.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People are realizing that android os stinks.i found out lol.

Lol. Love my Android phone -- a Samsung Galaxy Note 5" phablet. I switched after three generations of iPhone. I also have a 7" Galaxy tab and two Kindle Fire HDs, which also work well. If given a choice of a free phone now, I'd want the latest Galaxy Note 5."

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol. Love my Android phone -- a Samsung Galaxy Note 5" phablet. I switched after three generations of iPhone. I also have a 7" Galaxy tab and two Kindle Fire HDs, which also work well. If given a choice of a free phone now, I'd want the latest Galaxy Note 5."

What do you think of the galaxy note 8 tablet? It's supposed to compete with the iPad mini, I'm guessing due to its size.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you think of the galaxy note 8 tablet? It's supposed to compete with the iPad mini, I'm guessing due to its size.

It looks really good to me, but I've not bought because I'm going to buy an iPad mini 2 (if specs are good, including retina). I'd rather have the mini because I could transfer my AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan from my full-size iPad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People are realizing that android os stinks.i found out lol.

I wouldn't say it stinks but it does seem to be a better phone OS for whatever reason. Overall, as I said, the iPad is just miles beyond the other tablets.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This new thread posted by Maura indicates that Apple continues to dominate but is losing market share as tablet competition increases:

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...nate-market-amidst-increased-competition.html

This older thread is about Chitika measuring Web traffic. Web use is only one of the many things you can do with a tablet, and everyone's tablet needs will differ. I figure the most important thing is that consumers have lots of choices.

Like I said, I use different tablets for different uses. I know parents who limit their kids' tablet use to books and educational games, and even then limited access, so they wouldn't be on the Internet much, even if using their tablets. (One of the selling points of Kindle Fire was the ability to control kids' use, even before iPads got some kid-limiting features.) Some tablet owners spend a lot of time reading news via apps, which wouldn't necessarily be traceable by Chitika, either. Some people use their tablets for more work, rather browsing. And so on, so Web traffic is not necessarily an indicator that other tablets aren't increasing their sales.

We gave away my husband's iPad 1, partly because he rarely used it except for streaming radio while cooking. The person we gave it to barely uses the Web -- from what I can tell, she uses it mostly for games, books, email, Skype and movies. Another iPad 1 that we gave away is now with a family of kids (though I originally gave it to the oldest kid, he shares with younger siblings). They seem to use it for games and movies mostly, and their mom has to ration time, so they don't overdo it.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the ipad3 ad the mini. I traded my Samsung galaxy tab 7 for the galaxy note 8. Then there's my iPhone 4S. I find that I generally prefer surfing on my iPads. I'm still learning the different functions on my galaxy note. Android tablets have a lot of cool features for personalizing my device that I really like. I was thinking about getting the note2 phone, but didn't want to give up my iPhone, so I got the note8 tablet (like the s-pen)!! I like gadgets, so I buy and sell when I see something that I like. I'm more comfortable with Apple tablets, but I'm open to trying other brands. Can't wait to see what apple comes up with in the next few months. So many people want bigger phone screens, I wonder if they will make the next iPhone bigger, and give the mini the retina display.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The others may grab some market share but I still expect tablets to be an area where apple dominates for a long , long time. Hardware wise they may not have a huge advantage but that app ecosystem is the knife in the back of the tablets. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts