What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad3G in china

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought china unicom standard SIM and follow the instruction from ipadone on manual cutting the sim. However, I lost my ATT microsim so I just cut the sim to make sure the contact points are not damage.
In short, my iPad can not detect my sim and showing NO SIM even I power on my data device.

Any one who have tried manual cutting?
Thanks in advance. :)

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. I was going to do the same thing but I just decided to jailbreak my iPhone and installed MyWi. I can share my data now from my iPhone to my Macbook and I'm sure I can do the same with my iPad. I'm all set to go.

Now I'm just waiting for my iPad. Hoping it will arrive on the 28th.

abhishek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey FirstApple, I'm afraid you have ruined the sim card, you definitely need the smaller sim as a template. If that's not an option try centering the contact on the sim and cutting it 15mm long and 12mm wide. Might help but still risky.

Good luck!!

OP
F

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I will buy again another sim card and try to cut it again. :D

OP
F

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought another sim card (china unicom) and I have asked the vendor to cut the sim for me. I have showed him the photo how to cut the sim but we tried first on an expired sim and voilà, my iPad can search the network. Then the guy cut the new sim by following his first sample and we made it worked.

I am writing this inside the bus traveling in zhuhai. :) next plan is to buy camera connection kit.

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to buy a China Unicom SIM and cut it down to put in my iPad. Do I need to know the APN settings for China Unicom on the iPad or will it just work when I install it. I am using an iPad purchased in Canada and I am trying to operate it in Beijing? Any help appreciated.

corpski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@FirstApple

Do you, by any chance, still remember the type of Unicom SIM that you bought? I understand that they sell several types, and from what I've read on other forums, some of these are totally useless on an iPhone / iPad. Any information on the data rates and terms of use would be appreciated. I don't suppose that roaming in a city other than where you bought the SIM card from would be a problem?

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have seen my other posting by now but just in case...

Using 3G iPad in China on China Unicom
In case anyone is trying to use an iPad in China I would like to offer some advice since I could not find it as I was trying to figure it out. I am in Beijing and today I bought a China Unicom SIM which was prepaid with RMB1200. I cut it down and was able to use it immediately.

The APN, username, and password are all "3GNET". Worked immediately and is very fast (at least faster than the internet in my apartment here).

The account consumes RMB80 per month as a minimum and that gives you 1GB of data. If you go over that it is RMB150 for 3GB, RMB200 for 5GB and RMB300 for 10GB of data.

The SIM card I bought also came with a USB modem but of course once the SIM is cut down you can no longer use the SIM in it so that is a bit of a waste. The only thing that would be better for me would be a SIM that did not charge a minimum each month as some months I am not in China. But overall it is a good plan and very easy to implement.

The card I bought is referred to as 无线上网卡 (wu xian shang wang ka).

OP
F

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G icon is gone

Hey after 2 months of using my 3G, lastweek, my 3G icon is gone and only full bars chinaunicom and ... I still have 150RMB on my card. I have tried evrything re-input apn, restart my ipad, reset network setting, remove reinsert sim card still no 3g icon and cannot connect to internet outside wifi network.

Anyone can help before i get a new sim card? My sim is 399RMB with usb dongle included at 80rmb per 1gb of data.
Thanks.
:(

ipadinchina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some help please from anyone who is willing.

I bought a SIM card in Qingdao for my ipad with the RMB 1200 plan. It works in Qingdao, Shenzhen, and Jiangsu but not in Beijing and Anhui. It works in Hebei when I get far enough outside of Beijing.

I know it is not my iPad because my friend has the same 3G, 64g with a qingdao sim card and it does not work in the same places for us.

We went to Unicom in Beijing and Qingdao and they could not tell us whats wrong. I am guessing it is a setting on the iPad?

The unicom wireless mobile usb device that I put into my macbook works fine everywhere and so does the internet on my phone which is also using unicom.

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some help please from anyone who is willing.

I bought a SIM card in Qingdao for my ipad with the RMB 1200 plan. It works in Qingdao, Shenzhen, and Jiangsu but not in Beijing and Anhui. It works in Hebei when I get far enough outside...

Are you using "3gnet" for you APN, username and password?

Do you have roaming enabled?

ipadinchina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have roaming enabled. I tried CMNET for all three entries and then 3gnet for all three but nothing. It says "Could not activate cellular data network ' You are not subscribed to a cellular data service'

Any other ideas? I am guessing it has to be some setting because of the fact we took the card out and put it into my wireless usb card and it worked.

My other friend just brought his iPad along with 3g service from unicom and he has the exact same problem. So all three of us now. I am not sure if this help but now my safari is frozen up so to check I have to go to my gmail client.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

ipadinchina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay got it. Had to capitalize the 3GNET. Before I just had cmnet in there as user name. Nothing for password or username. Thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

Latest posts