What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad3 charging battery problem

bettyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone was having the same problem Iam. My ipad 3 when being charged, the charger gets really hot and is slow in charging the Ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having the charger get [very] hot is normal behavior for a charger. It's it's function - to convert the power from the mains to something the iPad can use to charge. That conversion uses energy, which is dissipated by giving off heat.

As far as it not charging the iPad fast, (1) make sure you are using the iPad charger AND that you are plugging the charger into the wall outlet, not the computer's USB ports. Most computers don't put out as much wattage. And, while an iPhone/iPod charger will work, they will be much slower as they don't provide as much "juice." The iPhone charger puts out 5 watts, while the iPad charger puts out 10 watts.

Or, (2) when you are talking about the iPad3, then it's going to take much long to charge it than either of the other two iPads. The battery is so much bigger, so it will take more time to charge. Again, this is normal...even with an iPad charger plugged into the wall.

Hope some of this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
bettyg

bettyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I was just kinda worry about the heat it was giving out. I will also turn off the apps when not in use to conserve battery life.

Hayz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's also answered my question, I was conserned about it getting hot, thanks for that, I understand now.... :). Just might not be able to charge it down the camp site xD

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never noticed it getting too hot but I did notice it takes a little longer to charge.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the correct charger , if so average charge Time is 5 hours, the charger gets warm for the first hour or so then slowly less so.

colsmt03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bosvaark said:
Are you using the correct charger , if so average charge Time is 5 hours, the charger gets warm for the first hour or so then slowly less so.

Had some trouble with charging - discharging myself (iPad 3) forget the heat . Whenever it's possible do both without cases or covers -- naked -- this allows the appropriate heat dissipation. The charger now stays ahead of Skype. Ergo - cover it only when ya have to.

Hayz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skywolf said:
FORGET ABOUT CHARGES USE LEMON POWER!!!!! Da da da di daann!!!!!

Bet Mythbusters to test the myth haha.

I don't think I like the sound of a lemon charging my power though.

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bosvaark said:

I have a 4s as well so I'm not sure which is which.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone was having the same problem Iam. My ipad 3 when being charged, the charger gets really hot and is slow in charging the Ipad.

When the Ipad shuts itself down due to insufficient battery, and you charge it with your charger, the charger initially can get a little hot above normal for a few minutes or hours.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pcdebb said:
I have a 4s as well so I'm not sure which is which.

The iPhone charger is smaller, the iPad charger is a 5 v 10 watt , 2 A, pic attached

image-2343232414.jpg

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotcha. That's the one in my car, the smallest one is in the house for the phone. I have the a/c plug in my car and use it for both as I'm on the road a lot. Use the cig lighter plug for everything else :)

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pcdebb said:
Gotcha. That's the one in my car, the smallest one is in the house for the phone. I have the a/c plug in my car and use it for both as I'm on the road a lot. Use the cig lighter plug for everything else :)

So you plug the iPad charger into a AC (Alternating Current) socket in your car? Or is it a 12v to AC Inverter?
Or are you plugging the iPad into a 12v cig lighter charger?

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a socket in the car. Just plug it in like I'm home.

TheNewiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest checking your outlets with other devices to see if it causes them any extra heat, to make sure it's not a faulty outlet. Also, in a related note, I would suggest keeping your iPad off of carpet, pillows, or beds while watching movies or heavy browsing -- simply because it conduces heat and makes it harder to ensure a long lifespan of the device itself. Even though the device is fully capable of running hot (many times) without significant damage, it's still smart to take the best care of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts