What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2screen bleeding

Freebo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Do you think the screen bleeding on the ipad2 issue issue ?

I wonder how many people have the problem ?

I bought a black one and it has screen bleeding so I returned it and got a new one but same issue.

So is it really a problem and how many people have it and put up with it ?

Im not sure if to keep this one or return it or even if it was just a wrong batch.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Do you think the screen bleeding on the ipad2 issue issue ?

I wonder how many people have the problem ?

I bought a black one and it has screen bleeding so I returned it and got a new one but same issue.

So is it really a problem and how many people have it and put up with it ?

Im not sure if to keep this one or return it or even if it was just a wrong batch.

Many people have this issue and you'll see plenty of posts in the iPad2 section on this problem. Also look in the News section for Maura's report. Apple has sort-of officially recognised the problem as you've seen by exchanging the iPads with no questions asked.

Some reports indicated that the problem was due to the thermo-setting adhesive used to secure the screens on the iPad2 - the iPad1 had clips instead - and that this adhesive takes some time to 'cure' (set). Some members with this problem have opted to wait a while to see if, indeed, the problem does disappear after a while - the iPads will be exchanged by Apple during the warranty period, so there's no hurry.

Tim
Scotland

gforeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, MANY have this problem.

Here is some reading if you have time:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Significant light leakage, few light ...

One user said he put some books on it, and left it for a while he was out of town, and it seems ot have fixed it. Worth a try.

Mine is due here next week. Any light leak will be unacceptable, as my iPad 1 does not do this. I realize it may take a while until Apple sorts this out, but I would at least log a case with Apple, so you can get it fixed when they get a solution.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at my iP2 screen when powering up or down, I can see a few lighter sections along the edges. I guess that's light leakage. Never noticeable at any other time, even when using an app that has a black background.

The other night, I happened to notice the same thing on my LCD computer monitor while powering down the system. Doesn't appear any other time.

For me, it's not an issue because when I'm actually doing something, the graphics are fantastic.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about this too much, mine has this bleeding and the only time I noticed it was when i read about the issue and actually tested it, otherwise I wouldn't have really noticed.

If it does bother you, you have 12 months to return it :)

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slight yellow back light bleeding

I picked up a white iPad2 a couple of weeks ago ... and noticed a slight yellow flare around the home button at first (only noticeable when first turning on while the screen is essential dark. Some other minor spots ... not nearly as extensive ... the one around the home button was about the size of a nickel.

Now after two weeks of doing nothing ... they are gone... all of them. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they disappeared. Never even saw the effect in normal usage, however. IMHO. Quit worrying.

Like another poster mentioned, Apple gives you up to a year of ownership and will replace it for you if it is an issue for you. Can't beat that with a stick, now can you.

Last edited:

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guy's I phoned my local Apple store today and mentioned this problem, I do have a little bleeding but nothing that would of bothered me had I not seen the threads about it. To my surprise the guy on the phone says he has never heard of an issue with the screens and suggested I make an appointment with a genius so as soon as I can I will make a visit to store but it's like 25 miles so I will wait till stocks are better so am not wasting my time if they exchange this unit.

Owen

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guy's I phoned my local Apple store today and mentioned this problem, I do have a little bleeding but nothing that would of bothered me had I not seen the threads about it. To my surprise the guy on the phone says he has never heard of an issue with the screens and suggested I make an appointment with a genius so as soon as I can I will make a visit to store but it's like 25 miles so I will wait till stocks are better so am not wasting my time if they exchange this unit.

Owen

Talk about outta the loop. Perhaps that staff was new.

Valium618

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys after reading this, I too have screen bleeding its kinda well, unnoticeable unless your looking at a damn black screen. -.- Its about the whole size of a dime, and just so everyone knows these are liquid crystal displays meaning that they react to light waves sent through them. They are just liquid crystal smashed between two pieces of glass and then have a light with their reactive wavelengths on one side. the light turns on at a special frequency and causes different shades of light to be produced. The (bleeding) your seeing is pretty much going to be there no matter what if you have it cranked to the highest brightness setting possible (as seen in the Jpg up there) Its almost completely unnoticeable if its set to lower brightness settings. Now, does anyone notice that its primarily on the left side? This is because that is where the primary light bar is that activates the crystals so we can see whats going on on our crack-pads. Unless its very noticeable and starting to cause color distortion, or making it hard to see the screen I wouldn't put much thought into it. but that's my two cents, I'm contacting apple to see what they are doing about it and if it is linked to any lights burning out causing some black lines or burnout. id suggest not to fret and turn your brightness to 50% and see if its still there if it is get it replaced if it isn't good for you. sides, who needs it at 100% your melt your retinas doing that dingdongs, mmmmmm ding dongs....:D

-Source, I.T. Professional

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...This is somewhat normal on all lcd's....If it's worth anything my ipad 1 had minor leakage but to day has none.....My ipad has some minor leakage worst spot right side of home button....The other spots are pretty much gone....odd but hopefully the main spot goes away....Nothing really to worry about...These aren't plasma or super amoled...Most LCD's do this.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
F

Freebo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if I should keep the iPad but I love it so much it's hard to return. It seems it is a bigger issue around the world after reading more about it.

I thought maybe it was just a batch that was delivered here but it seems not

Thanks again for your assistance and comments

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Freebo said:
Hi thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if I should keep the iPad but I love it so much it's hard to return. It seems it is a bigger issue around the world after reading more about it.

I thought maybe it was just a batch that was delivered here but it seems not

Thanks again for your assistance and comments

Your new one could be worst...If you can live with it keep it atleast for the 30day return period.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guy's has anybody in the UK actually had any sense from their apple store reference light bleeding, I have phoned my local store at metro centre and it's as if they not aware of any problems and that I should book an appointment to see a genius. What I want to know is when they will get stock in so as I can take my iPad back as it's like 50 mile round trip and don't want to waste my time and fuel.

Most reactions

Latest posts