What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 sim card

kelleygirly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are traveling to the UK in a few weeks. Is there any reason to buy a sim card for our AT&T iPad2 before we go? Is it even possible to buy one here?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You would be better advised to buy a SIM card when you get to the UK. Yes - an AT&T card will work just fine in the UK, but the roaming charges will be very high. You can buy a SIM for your iPad when you get to the UK - except that you need to have initialised your iPad in the US with an AT&T card, I believe. I have heard that AT&T iPads that have never been used in the US on 3G have problems with a non-AT&T SIM card. Once they've been used with an AT&T SIM card (i.e. initialised) then everything is fine. Perhaps other Forum members will know more.

However, having said that, WiFi is widely - very widely - available in the UK - hotels, malls, franchises, coffee shops, airports, public transport - trains and some buses - so you would probably be OK even without a SIM card unless you're going to be in a very remote location.

I hope you enjoy your trip to the UK - don't hesitate to come back if you have any further questions

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions