What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2: Issues with GIF animations and other stuff

Precious Little

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jangle.forumatic.com
Hello everyone. I just joined today and so this is my first post. I hope one one may help.

You will see I have installed an avatar. This is an animated GIF. My eyes should blink :eek: for example. What is happening is that I choose an animated GIF but it is being saved a a still image. At first I thought it might be a problem with the image host so I tried a different one. So I can see what the problem is but have no idea why or how to resolve it. I do not have a desktop so yesterday I used one to install different animated avatars in my forums and each one is successfully loaded as a GIF and I see it working on my iPad.

I switched from a Sony Tablet S so that I could have a 3G broadband connection outdoors mainly but there have been a lot of niggling factors. Basic things like no directional screen on the keyboard. You have to learn to skilfully manoeuvre the cursor but it can be tricky. Another thing is the App Store. When I search for items it informs me that my account is not valid in the US store so I cannot clear the red 1 symbol over the icon on the home screen. Not sure bout that one! Anyway if anyone would like help with the GIF problem for a start I would be very grateful, thank you.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Q1 is simple. The forums do not support the use of animated GIF's as avatars, sorry :(

Q2. I'm afraid there isn't much that can be down about manouvering around the screen using keys etc. That is a traditional dekstop / computer paradigm which Apple does not believe to be relevant to a touch based device, such as the iPad. You will just have to learn and become more confident with using your finger to position in text... ;)

As for Q3. Check out this article from Apple which may help - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1311

Oh, and a very warm welcome to iPadForums :D

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Q1 is simple. The forums do not support the use of animated GIF's as avatars, sorry :(

Q2. I'm afraid there isn't much that can be down about manouvering around the screen using keys etc. That is a traditional dekstop / computer paradigm which Apple does not believe to be relevant to a touch based device, such as the iPad. You will just have to learn and become more confident with using your finger to position in text... ;)

As for Q3. Check out this article from Apple which may help - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1311

Oh, and a very warm welcome to iPadForums :D

If you look at posonivy's avatar in this thread, you'll see that it is animated, if you view it in the website version of the iPF.http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/104175-gift-card-redeem-question.html

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touché. This is what comes of being reliant on the app, where animated GIF are not supported ;)
Perhaps you can assist the OP in posting one then?

Now all we need is for poisonivy to explain how she did it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's an option for staff only, as it is enabled in vBulletin on a user-group basis. I was pretty sure when this question was raised by members in the past, the answer was that it was not supported (for them).

Last edited:
OP
Precious Little

Precious Little

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jangle.forumatic.com

But all mine do. As I explained, I had to use a desktop to reinstall the avatars and they show up now as animated on my iPad. If I save a new animated GIF on the iPad it only shows as a still Image when installed, that is the problem.

Most boards support animated GIFS. I have a personal website and a music forum, one on Webs and one on Forumatic, both of which work fine. Another board I use is also on Invision here...

http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/index.php?act=idx

...is an antique version (I notice this forum is on 4.1.6) and so I would bet if I posted my avatar again using a desktop, it would work okay.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But all mine do. As I explained, I had to use a desktop to reinstall the avatars and they show up now as animated on my iPad. If I save a new animated GIF on the iPad it only shows as a still Image when installed, that is the problem.

OK, as I said above, I had thought that our forum software does not support this for standard users, and I don't see your avatar animating. The only one I do see is another member of staff. Happy to accept I am incorrect, but just because animated GIF's exist and can be used elsewhere, it does not follow that they are activated here ;)

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did try for the app here but as explained in Q3 I could not get it because it said my account was not accepted in the US store.

But you should still be able to get it from the store that you ARE registered in. The link I posted should help you switch back to the right store.

OP
Precious Little

Precious Little

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jangle.forumatic.com
OK, as I said above, I had thought that our forum software does not support this for standard users, and I don't see your avatar animating. The only one I do see is another member of staff. Happy to accept I am incorrect, but just because animated GIF's exist and can be used elsewhere, it does not follow that they are activated here ;)

Exactly. Not every forum supports them and it was interesting to read that here it could be a Moderator's luxury.

However, I am willing to try this out by using a PC shortly and then seeing if the board does allow it.

The real issue seems to be that the iPad is not saving these GIFS as it should and I would like to know what the cause is.

OP
Precious Little

Precious Little

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jangle.forumatic.com
Thanks - I will try that.

Meanwhile I tried the avatar again [which I hoped to see working] and got this message...

Your file of 12.1 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

Now that really makes sense doesn't it... :D

Et voila!!

Here I am fluttering my eyelashes anyway. :)

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks - I will try that.

Meanwhile I tried the avatar again [which I hoped to see working] and got this message...

Now that really makes sense doesn't it... :D

Et voila!!

Here I am fluttering my eyelashes anyway. :)

So you are. Congratulations! Thanks for setting me straight... Even discovered you can turn them on in Tapatalk. N00b :)

(goes off in search of cool animated GIF Avatars)

Last edited:

agracie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue with animated GIFs...

I am not able to post animated smileys on any forum. Can you please tell me how you did it? I am using an iPad 3, and your avatar is animated.

And I agree. The iPad is just not saving the animated GIF.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts