What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2/ ipad1

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the discussions seem to be ipad2 related now,even in general discussions,there is an ipad 2 dedicated forum,so is the iPad 1 discussions obsolete now ? As an ipad1 user who cannot afford or justify an iPad 2 I feel a little lost ,Can we have an ipad1 dedicated forum as well please for those like me who are not rich enough,slightly jealous but contented with the original.

Reaction score
The two Sets of discussions are somewhat separated. There isn a separate iPad 2 sub-forum, where all Pad 2 only discussions belong. Ideally any discussion outside that sub-forum would be about the iPad 1. However, the two devices are in many ways similar, so it is difficult to separate them completely.

Reaction score
cogboot said:
I am seriously curious to know what the point is of having both?
Thanks

C

A series of unlucky coincidences led me to have both :)

On a more serious note, many people who live with a partner or have a family will have multiple devices but not necessarily all of the same generation. I have heard of many, who bought an iPad 1 and now pass that one on to their spouse after buying an iPad 2.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No worries. There are still plenty of us iPad 1 users here. There are still plenty of commonalties to keep us all talking here in the general discussion. Plus, there are other sections like apps, OS, etc. I'm in the camp of just got my iPad 1 four months ago and not about to upgrade as I see no point. I don't mind hearing about the 2 as it interests me in general. I saw it and tested it out on display and felt just as happy with my 1. If I really want to, I could get the 2, but I don't see the need. It's a choice for me more than a money issue. And testing it out, it was just like using the 1 anyway, not a huge night and day difference-faster, but only noticeable if you're looking for that unless you're using a high power graphic app. Me-soon as I got home and was on my own iPad, I didn't even notice. Made no practical difference to my use. Hence, no upgrade for me anytime soon. And leaves both enough in common to keep us all talking. I think the separate 2 forum started more to do with the pre-arrival excitement and of course stays now its own section, even though a lot of 2 subjects end up in general. Perhaps down the pike, we'll see a separate forum section also broken down for 1 users.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPad 1 also. I've played with the 2 in best buy, but still can't see a real reason to upgrade. I like the idea of the cameras, but really don't use the one on my iPhone too much either. As for speed, I didn't see that much of a difference. At least not enough to want to upgrade. I think we should be able to have discussions that cover both devices, unless it involves the use if the cameras, or something else that only the iPad 2 can do.

OP
Sjwred

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
A series of unlucky coincidences led me to have both :)

On a more serious note, many people who live with a partner or have a family will have multiple devices but not necessarily all of the same generation. I have heard of many, who bought an iPad 1 and now pass that one on to their spouse after buying an iPad 2.

Nice to be able to do that,as my misses is not techno minded and I said , "here have my ipad1 so I can buy an ipad2 " the only thing that would pass is a left hook followed by a swift kick to the lower region. DOH!!

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the discussions minus the camera related one are going to be universal anyways. If you look at the back they both say iPad. Not iPad 2 so there you go.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 1 also. I've played with the 2 in best buy, but still can't see a real reason to upgrade. I like the idea of the cameras, but really don't use the one on my iPhone too much either. As for speed, I didn't see that much of a difference. At least not enough to want to upgrade. I think we should be able to have discussions that cover both devices, unless it involves the use if the cameras, or something else that only the iPad 2 can do.

You won't see much of a difference with apps that were made for the iPad 1. Where the difference will show is in the new power-hungry, graphic intensive apps and 1080p 16x9 (when viewed on a large screen TV) games that are starting to come out for the iPad 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts