What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 & droid x

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed when I open my smart cover and lay my droid x close to the last panel on the left side of the smart cover it says my phone is connected to car home? Whatever apple has in the smart cover to put it to sleep it makes my phone think it's in a car dock.. Hmmm jus thought that was interesting to share not sure it will benefit me in anyway really, but what is it in the smart cover that make this happen?

shhardyme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed when I open my smart cover and lay my droid x close to the last panel on the left side of the smart cover it says my phone is connected to car home? Whatever apple has in the smart cover to put it to sleep it makes my phone think it's in a car dock.. Hmmm jus thought that was interesting to share not sure it will benefit me in anyway really, but what is it in the smart cover that make this happen?

That's because of the magnets. When you place the DX in a media dock or car cradle, magnets from the accessories cause the DX to go into Carhome or Night Clock, if in the media dock.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shhardyme said:
That's because of the magnets. When you place the DX in a media dock or car cradle, magnets from the accessories cause the DX to go into Carhome or Night Clock, if in the media dock.

Ahh gotcha

Reaction score
That's why they don't recommend magnetic closure carry cases for the X as well

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, if the magnet is tripping the phone's mode it means the produced field is strong enough to mess with the data on the magnetic strip of your Credit Cards, Point of Sale and EFTPOS cards. I would be careful where you lay your wallet that holds all those cards!

It was just before Christmas last, that my local convenience store handed out cute refrigerator magnets the size and shape of a CC that had the store's contact details plus a neat picture. They even handed the magnetic card back to you with your EFTPOS card and many people just put them together into their wallets. I was concerned the minute I saw the things and sure enough the card was dead but I'd time to have it fixed before the week where businesses and banks close over Christmas. Lots of people were not so lucky and you can imagine the trouble not being able to access $ especially at that time.

So I always keep magnetic devices no matter how 'weak' well away from my mission critical banking needs. Even the mag catch on my iPad's leather case concerns me.

Last edited:

Most reactions