What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2-Canon PIXMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

areco10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and want to say Hi to everyone!
Does anyone know if I can use wirelessly Canon PIXMA MX 870 printer with iPad 2 ?
We have one stationary Dell and iPad 2 , so I was wandering if I can connect printer to computer by wire and
also can use this printer from IPad over WiFi. Any suggestion ?
Thank you,
Alex

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Canon PIXMA, though a different model (MG5220). It's a wireless printer but not an AirPrint compatible one (those appear to be HP printers for the most part). So I can't use AirPrint to do the job but as the saying goes, there's an app for that. The app I bought is Print n Share. With Print n Share I can send whatever I want to print from my iPad wirelessly, via my home network. Setup was a snap. Bottom line, it works like AirPrint would work, without buying an AirPrint printer.

Before getting the Canon I was using an Epson printer attached to an iMac's USB port. Print n Share worked on that configuration too, though the iMac had to be on and awake when I wanted to print. That was a satisfactory arrangement; I'd still be using it if the Epson hadn't begun to fail after many thousands of pages.

The app costs about $5 US but I thought it was worth it. Others here will chime in too...

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read that there's a free app from Canon that lets you print pictures WIFI from iPad to PIXMA. Canon Easy-Photo Print. Look in the App Store. It doesn't look like it will print documents. Good luck and welcome to the iPad Forum.

iPad99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Canon MP640

Can I get this printer to print via AirPrint?

Klaudia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Canon PIXMA, though a different model (MG5220). It's a wireless printer but not an AirPrint compatible one (those appear to be HP printers for the most part). So I can't use AirPrint to do the job but as the saying goes, there's an app for that. The app I bought is Print n Share. With Print n Share I can send whatever I want to print from my iPad wirelessly, via my home network. Setup was a snap. Bottom line, it works like AirPrint would work, without buying an AirPrint printer.

Before getting the Canon I was using an Epson printer attached to an iMac's USB port. Print n Share worked on that configuration too, though the iMac had to be on and awake when I wanted to print. That was a satisfactory arrangement; I'd still be using it if the Epson hadn't begun to fail after many thousands of pages.

The app costs about $5 US but I thought it was worth it. Others here will chime in too...

Hi. I have the same model printer and just purchased the Print n Share app. The app doesn't recognize my printer, at least it doesn't "find" it when searching. Could you tell me how you set it up?
TIA!

AlbertaDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the Apps web page these are the compatable models for Canon
Canon MG5310
Canon MG5320
Canon MG5330
Canon MG5340
Canon MG5350
Canon MG5370
Canon MG5380
Canon MG6210
Canon MG6220
Canon MG6230
Canon MG6240
Canon MG6250
Canon MG6270
Canon MG6280
Canon MG8220
Canon MG8230
Canon MG8240
Canon MG8250
Canon MG8270
Canon MG8280

Liesje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both the Cannon MG 5220 and the Cannon Iepp app. I can't seem to get my iPad to print. Can you help? Much appreciated.

Last edited:

mbergthold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem with Canon MG8220

At this point I'm thinking Canon's MG8220's AirPrint capability is pure smoke. My iPhone4 running OS5 couldn't find it, my iPhone5 running OS6 doesn't see it, the neither of the two new iPads my wife and daughter own can locate it - yet it is running firmware version 3.030 and has Bonjour turned on. We went thru this with Kodak, which was not a true AirPrint printer, and now it looks like we'll be sending this Canon back also. WTF? Doesn't anyone know how to do this except Apple? Not enough drugs or what? if anyone has an idea why the MG8220 doesn't want to be seen by our Apple devices, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm composing another nasty gram, this time to Canon.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At this point I'm thinking Canon's MG8220's AirPrint capability is pure smoke. My iPhone4 running OS5 couldn't find it, my iPhone5 running OS6 doesn't see it, the neither of the two new iPads my wife and daughter own can locate it - yet it is running firmware version 3.030 and has Bonjour turned on. We went thru this with Kodak, which was not a true AirPrint printer, and now it looks like we'll be sending this Canon back also. WTF? Doesn't anyone know how to do this except Apple? Not enough drugs or what? if anyone has an idea why the MG8220 doesn't want to be seen by our Apple devices, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm composing another nasty gram, this time to Canon.

Curious. Have you checked your router to see if it is blocking the ports need by the Bonjour protocol? Highly recommend you google your wireless router and how to set up the proper rules to allow the printer to work. This is literally the leading cause of your failure.

Might save you from an embarrassing email to Canon when they respond back with the same suggestion.

widorgel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint app and it does quite a nice job printing wireless over your wifi network. It only supports images and pdf but some Apple apps offer direct support to output to pdf. I use Pages and under sharing I can say share with another App, and then select the file format - pdf in which I want to share. I select the Canon App to share with and off you go!This is a very neat way to print my Pages docs.

scjckt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my IPad 4 and an MX870 printer. I happened to be looking through the configuration application for my wireless router (NETGEAR WNDR3400) and noticed an AirPrint button. The application stated that it would convert a conventional printer into an AirPrint printer. I pushed the button, selected my MX870, and now my IPad thinks it's an Airprint printer. I see the MX870 in the IPad Printer Options window from the Actions Icon. Works flawlessly so far.

This seems to be a much cleaner solution that a second party application on the IPad. NETGEAR doesn't advertise this capability anywhere I found. If you need to add AirPrint capability to your printer, you may want to look closely at your router's features.

pramod7770

iPF Noob
Reaction score

latest mac EDITED hope this will help someone

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts